Lucee 5 RC 2 - Will it be possible to upgrade to Lucee 5 final automatically?

thorste...@googlemail.com

Apr 14, 2016, 5:22:20 AM4/14/16
to Lucee
Hi,
I wonder if it will be possible, if I upgrade from 4.5.x to 5 RC 2, to upgrade later to Lucee 5 finall automatically via the lucee admin?

Does anybody use lucee 5 rc 2 in production?

If I have to revert to 4.5.x, would it be possible simply by restoring the 4.5-jar?

Regards
Thorsten

Andrew Dixon

Apr 14, 2016, 5:39:10 AM4/14/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

To upgrade from 4.5.x to 5 you need to stop Lucee and follow the instructions here:

It is pretty straight forward, but you can't do it via the admin.

From Lucee 5.0.0.189 onwards (and RC2 is 5.0.0.235) you can update via the Lucee Server Admin.

Several Lucee members, including myself are running Lucee 5 on some production servers and have been for some time, myself since early December last year.

With regards to reverting back from 5 to 4.5.x, I don't think that would be possible in any easy way, the best way would be to keep a full backup of the machine you are updating, if a VM of some description, just keep a snapshot of the VM you can revert back to if required.

Kind regards,

Andrew

--
Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html

thorste...@googlemail.com

Apr 14, 2016, 5:58:05 AM4/14/16
to Lucee

Thanks Andrew for your thorough answer.
I am curious and a little bit frightened to upgrade to lucee 5.

Mark Drew

Brad Wood

Apr 15, 2016, 10:32:29 AM4/15/16
to Lucee
No need to be afraid.  There are several people already running Lucee 5 in production.  I would recommend what Mark said which is to bring up Lucee 5 along side Lucee 4 in a different location and just point the web roots to the same place and run them on different ports so they don't conflict.  If you want to have 4 and 5 running at the same time, you'll want to edit web.xml to move the WEB-INF outside the web root.  The express version of Lucee 5 doesn't even need installed.

We're also working on Lucee 5 "server start" for CommandBox right now so hopefully that will be released soon to give you another really easy way to spin up a Lucee 5 server to test.

Thanks!

~Brad

Travis Peters

May 2, 2016, 3:24:16 PM5/2/16
to Lucee
I'm a little lost:  I'm running 4.5.2 on Tomcat (from the bundled installer) on Windows.  I'm not finding any path that looks like "\lib\etc".  What am I missing?

Jordan Michaels

May 2, 2016, 5:11:48 PM5/2/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
If I recall correctly on Windows it's C:\lucee\lib - basically where the Lucee-specific jars are kept. ;)

Hope this helps!

--
Kind regards,
Jordan Michaels
> about.me <http://about.me/andrew_dixon> - mso <http://www.mso.net> - Lucee
> Association Member <http://lucee.org>
>
> On 14 April 2016 at 10:22, thorsteneilers via Lucee <
> lu...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I wonder if it will be possible, if I upgrade from 4.5.x to 5 RC 2, to
>> upgrade later to Lucee 5 finall automatically via the lucee admin?
>>
>> Does anybody use lucee 5 rc 2 in production?
>>
>> If I have to revert to 4.5.x, would it be possible simply by restoring
>> the 4.5-jar?
>>
>> Regards
>> Thorsten
>>
>> --
>> Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! -
>> http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html
>> ---
>> .
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/cc8ca5fe-b8d8-4e2f-b67a-85684ad69029%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html

Travis Peters

May 2, 2016, 5:27:17 PM5/2/16
to Lucee
Well, that makes sense.
assuming your suggested folder is correct
and... nada... no upgrade happened.

Brad Wood

May 2, 2016, 5:34:21 PM5/2/16
to Lucee
Travis, can you share some more about your installation and what folders are there?  Can you confirm that there are no other instances of the old lucee.jar left?  What jars did you remove?  If the old lucee.jar (and the accompanying jars like apache-commons-... etc are gone, there should be no way Lucee 4.5 is still booting up.  Also, can you confirm which Lucee 5 jar you downloaded?

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Lucee" group.

Travis Peters

May 2, 2016, 5:44:40 PM5/2/16
to Lucee
The file I downloaded was lucee-5.0.0.235-RC.jar (62.3MB)

I stopped all instances of lucee on tomcat (I'm running several)
I removed all .jar files from c:\lucee\lib and copied in the aforementioned file, then renamed it to lucee.jar.
c:\lucee also contains a folder called tomcat

I believe you're right that there's no way lucee 4.5 is still booting... and you're right.
I was expecting the folder to populate with a plethora of .jars again.
Browsing to /lucee/admin/server.cfm confirmed I'm now running 5.0.0.235-RC

Brad Wood

May 2, 2016, 5:48:18 PM5/2/16
to Lucee
The jars are "there" still, but since Lucee 5 uses OSGI to load, they aren't simply dumped in the servlet's classpath like the days of yore.  Now they're exploded out into bundles that are loaded via OSGI so they live in a new location.  This is what will enable Lucee 5 to update core 3rd party jars in the future without needing a whole new installation.