Lucee 4.5 (bleeding edge) and 5 (beta) releases

Andrew Dixon

Feb 9, 2016, 9:02:10 AM2/9/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

There are two new releases of Lucee today:

We are still looking for more extensive testing of Lucee 5 please, feedback via the Google group or ticket(s) on Lucee Server JIRA - https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Harry Klein

Feb 9, 2016, 10:55:18 AM2/9/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew,

we can reactivate our CMS unit tests for Lucee 5, which are stopped atm because there are too many version (and too much effort involved  to update) imho. Already 178 versions minor releases?

So how would you define the quality / status of this release: Is it still beta or already rc? How many releases more can we expect?

Thanks,

Harry

--
Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html

Andrew Dixon

Feb 9, 2016, 11:28:19 AM2/9/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harry,

There have only been 8 beta releases, see the beta page, there have however been 178 "snapshots" created, which relate to a label being added in the repo to generate a snapshot. This is still a beta, but we are hopeful it is almost there but really need more testing as so far most of the feedback (and therefore we assume testing) on Lucee 5 has only come from a handful of people. If you can activate your CMS unit tests on Lucee 5 and report an issues then that would be really helpful. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Igal @ Lucee.org

Feb 9, 2016, 11:43:31 AM2/9/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
if I have to compare this to other software, then 178 is a "build", not a "minor version".

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Harry Klein

Feb 9, 2016, 11:49:53 AM2/9/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the clarification. I will inform our QA team to reactivate the unit tests and will update our testserver to the latest release.

And of course will report issues.

It would be great if some of our already created issues would be triaged, for example the Oracle issues in Lucee 4.

(I guess the Oracle driver in Lucee 5 ist still missing? And the “other” driver functionality?)

Mark Drew

Feb 9, 2016, 12:11:17 PM2/9/16
to lucee
When I try to download stuff from http://release.lucee.org/rest/update/provider/express/5.0.0.178-BETA it just hangs?

Can we CDN the downloads or something?

Regards

Mark Drew

Michael Sprague

Feb 9, 2016, 1:19:46 PM2/9/16
to lucee
Is there a pom.xml available for the 4.5 bleeding edge release?

I checked cfmlartifacts.org, they're still at 4.5.3.001 and Maven Central only has a handful of the 5.x releases (and oss.sonatype.org only has snapshot releases).

Warm regards,

Mike Sprague

Andrew Dixon

Feb 9, 2016, 3:32:55 PM2/9/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harry,

Can you give me links to the tickets in question please and I will see what, if anything, is going on with them.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Andrew Dixon

Feb 9, 2016, 3:35:16 PM2/9/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Mark, I was under the impression that was from a third party service that was already on a CDN but it appears to be coming from a Vivotech, so I will have to find out, will see what I can do.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Andrew Dixon

Feb 9, 2016, 3:42:54 PM2/9/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Not sure what cfmlartifacts.org, it doesn't even resolve for me.

Maven central has all the releases for 5, which so far are BETA release:

and Sonatype has, as you say, all the snapshots.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Michael Sprague

Feb 9, 2016, 5:19:52 PM2/9/16
to lucee

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. Oops, my fingers were moving faster than my brain apparently. I meant the following (not cfmlartifacts.org):

http://cfmlprojects.org/artifacts/org/lucee/lucee/

I'm aware of the v5 releases on Maven central and have updated my projects that use 5 but I also maintain a Lucee/Heroku project that uses v4.5.x and at the moment can only find a pom.xml up to the 4.5.3.001 release.

Pretty sure Denny generously maintains the aforementioned link in his own time so wasn't sure if there was anywhere else to get a current 4.5.3.004 pom.xml file.

Thanks and sorry about the confusing mistake in previous post.

Warm regards,

Mike Sprague

Michael Offner

Feb 9, 2016, 5:58:40 PM2/9/16
to lucee
@Michael  cfmlartifacts.org was or is something Denny does and is no offical release channel from Lucee.
it is not possible to release to maven central directly, this is only possible via a maven repo like that from sonatype.
Every snapshot and release produced goes to sonatype, then releases (not snapshots) get forwarded to maven central by sonatype but this can take a couple of hours until they are indexed by central maven.

this are the releases on maven central:
and this the snapshots and releases on sonatype:

@Harry with Lucee 5 every commit to the github repository triggers Travis to run all testcases and when sucessful passed creates a new snapshot including all bundles you can download, that can mean we can get multiple snapshos a day with increasing numbers. But we talking about snapshots here, not releases, like andrew said we will not have more releases than we had stable releases with Lucee 4.5.
You are more than welcome to provide testcases for Contens as long they can run within travis. This way your testcases would be executed with every commit to the Lucee repo, even pull requests.
You can also give me a URL that is called when travis sucessfuly passed, automation is everything!
if you are interested, let me know.
We now support "JDBC Others" to use all kind of JDBC drivers the classic way.

@Mark i could download it just fine, but we will move the downloads to S3 as soon as possible.
The download are created automatically when Travis sucessful passed.

Micha

Harry Klein

Feb 10, 2016, 3:21:18 AM2/10/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew,

thanks, the most important Oracle issues are:

https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/browse/LDEV-413

https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/browse/LDEV-637

(not created by me, but we have the same issues)

Mark Drew

Feb 10, 2016, 5:26:54 AM2/10/16
to lucee
Whenever I try http://release.lucee.org/rest/update/provider/express/5.0.0.178-BETA I get nothing. It just hangs and waits for a connection.

Maybe even sharing it on dropbox (now that copy is no more) would be good?

Regards

Mark Drew

Harry Klein

Feb 10, 2016, 5:41:05 AM2/10/16
to lucee

Hi Mark,

it worked for me just 5 min ago:

The link (from http://lucee.org/downloads.html) was different tough:

http://stable.lucee.org/rest/update/provider/express/5.0.0.178-BETA

regards,

Harry

Mark Drew

Feb 10, 2016, 5:43:02 AM2/10/16
to lucee
I get the same here. Not sure if it is an issue with my provider or that europe gets a better connection than the UK.

MD

On 10 Feb 2016, at 10:40, Harry Klein <Kl...@contens.de> wrote:

Hi Mark,

it worked for me just 5 min ago:
<image001.png>

Andrew Dixon

Feb 10, 2016, 6:25:25 AM2/10/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Bruce Kirkpatrick

Feb 22, 2016, 8:16:31 PM2/22/16
to Lucee
Hi,

That's great there is more progress on 5.  I depend on Lucee 4.5 CFML for the majority of new server side coding and the 200+ sites we published on my code.

Is it possible for us to build Lucee 5 from source yet?  You said it wasn't 6 months ago ( https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lucee/Hk5sDd5u_dY ).   I have 2 minor changes I do to make it have the multiple html upload bug fix and email attachment mime bug fix I wanted.

These are the 2 issues I reported and fixed, but the fixes were not accepted by the project yet I think.  I don't know if it is necessary to report again to Lucee, and/or make pull request.  Obviously, it is hard to contribute anything in Java that is useful to you guys if I can't build it to test.

If I could apply those to lucee 5, I would try to run my 250-500k lines of cfml code on it while I develop new work.    It is a lot easier for me to test behavior while I work on projects, then to look at the new release intentionally on the side.

Ideally, the project could get the core shift to new internals / class loading / etc stable before adding any new features/syntax, etc.  It is a bit more scary to deal with new behavior, potentional bugs, and a new installation procedure of Lucee all at the same time.

If I had new problems on 5.0, I would surely report them, find workarounds, etc.

Railo 4.5.2.008 has literally never crashed at all in many months and not produced any weird errors anymore.  So my code has evolved to be stable with the current behavior on that release.    I have been more busy, and not wanting to upgrade my server tech as frequently.   I am still interested in Lucee 5.

-Bruce Kirkpatrick

Igal @ Lucee.org

Feb 22, 2016, 9:54:17 PM2/22/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On 2/22/2016 5:16 PM, Bruce Kirkpatrick wrote:
Is it possible for us to build Lucee 5 from source yet?
yes:

1) make sure that you have current versions of mvn and ant installed on your system

2) download the version that you want to build from and https://github.com/lucee/Lucee/releases extract locally

3) switch to the loader directory and run:  mvn clean install

AJ Mercer

Feb 22, 2016, 10:04:25 PM2/22/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
what version of Java are you using?

--
Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html

Igal @ Lucee.org

Feb 22, 2016, 10:05:12 PM2/22/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Java 7 and 8 should both work.

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Bruce Kirkpatrick

Feb 22, 2016, 10:06:59 PM2/22/16
to Lucee
Thanks for letting me know.  I will try it out in the next few days.