Lucee Express - Unsupported major.minor version 51.0

Trond Ulseth

Jun 2, 2015, 7:30:28 PM6/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Trying to run Lucee Express (on OS X Yosemite) I get an error saying 'Unsupported major.minor version 51.0':

I have installed JRE 8

When I do java -version in the terminal i get:

java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-466.1-11M4716)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-466.1, mixed mode)

What can I do?

Kai Koenig

Jun 2, 2015, 7:34:27 PM6/2/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
In short:

This means you’re trying to run Java code that was compiled for a higher (=newer) JVM version than the one you have.

Given that you have Java 8 installed but the command in Terminal is just showing you Java 6, there’s clearly the issue.

Nando Breitner ran into a similar issue a few days ago and posted a solution and write-up on the list — the thread was called “Lucee JVM”, check that out and see if it fixes the issue.

Cheers
Kai

Trond Ulseth

Jun 3, 2015, 5:12:26 AM6/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Kai,

I have read through the thread and will try to get it resolved using Nando's recipe :)

Cheers,
Trond

lu...@lesener.de

Jun 3, 2015, 5:25:05 AM6/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I had the same issue on my dev machine running OS X 10.10.3.
Long story short, none of the different approaches from the thread mentioned by Kai worked for me.
But: Installing the latest Java JDK 8U45 (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html) instead of the JRE fixed the problem instantly.

rgds
Lutz

Michael Offner

Jun 3, 2015, 12:20:47 PM6/3/15
to lucee
Site note:
Java 6 reached it's "end of life" in 02/2013, so no security updates anymore.
Because of that we decided no longer to support Java 6 with Lucee 5. This also allows us to use Java 7 features in Lucee 5.

Micha