Xerces issue upgrading to RC1

JF Robichaud

Apr 15, 2016, 7:22:04 PM4/15/16
to Lucee
I patched a lab environment to RC1 last week and couldn't get to complete the config until today, when I encountered an issue loading our sites.

Upon load I received the following:

org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeAwareParserConfiguration cannot be cast to org.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration

I was able to workaround the issue as it looks like Lucee was trying to load the wrong version of Xerces?

In my install folder (based on 4.x) I had the following Xerces jar

- C:\lucee\lib\apache-xml-xerces.jar
- C:\lucee\tomcat\lucee-server-bundles\org.lucee.xml.xerces-2.11.0.jar

I stopped the server, renamed apache-xml-xerces.jar to apache-xml-xerces.bak restarted and now everything works (as far as I can tell!)

However, I just felt like checking in with the issue/workaround to ensure everything was still good and that there's no underlying problem with the upgrade.  I know there were issues with Xerces in the early stages that Micha was working on. (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/lucee/00aKIKxG9ZI/A5_hLJIvAAAJ)

Andrew Dixon

Apr 16, 2016, 10:07:09 AM4/16/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you are upgrading from Lucee 4.5 to Lucee 5 you must remove ALL the JAR files as per the note on the migration doc:

"...and  remove all other jars (NOTE you must remove the JARs, DO NOT simply rename them)..."

So there should be NO JAR's in your "C:\lucee\lib\" directory except lucee.jar.

Kind regards,

Andrew

--
Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html

JF Robichaud

Apr 16, 2016, 1:07:32 PM4/16/16
to Lucee
Thank you Andrew, I had not done that.

I've submitted a PR to the page, I had checked the page but read it too quickly (my bad) and seen it as 3 steps - stop, copy, start.

--
JF