Is Tomcat necessary when migrating CF8 to Lucee?

Carl Campbell

Sep 29, 2015, 3:40:46 PM9/29/15
to Lucee
Hey all, new to the group so my apologies if I missed a critical pin telling me exactly not to post this here (I didn't see one).

My company is interested in migrating off CF8 to an open source CFML solution (I'm trying to convince them of Lucee over Railo). We use IIS for our web server and in the past did not use Tomcat as our application server and had CF set up as a multiserver instance. I guess that's what the ISAPI handler mappings were for? My issue is I can't get Tomcat and the Boncode connector to properly serve a basic site like index.cfm = "<cfoutput>#now()#</cfoutput>"

Michael Heel

Sep 29, 2015, 4:19:07 PM9/29/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Yes you need tomcat. Newer versions of coldfusion also use tomcat.
The lucee installer handles the IIS connection well without problems. You can also setup the connector manually but since you wrote you just started with lucee I suggest you use the installer for a quick start and later do a manual installation if you re still up to.

If you need more informations let me know.

cheers
Michael

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

--
See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

Andrew Dixon

Sep 29, 2015, 5:30:28 PM9/29/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Agree 100% that using the installer is the easiest way but I wanted to point out the don't have to use Tomcat, you just have to use a Java servlet container (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_servlet#Container_servers).

Most people are probably using Tomcat because it comes with the installer, however  older Express version (back with Railo) used Jetty, CommandBox uses Undertow (http://undertow.io/), I've previously run it on Resin (http://caucho.com/) and I've seen it running on Wildfly (http://wildfly.org/) as well.

Kind regards,

Andrew