java.lang.StackOverflowError in Lucee Express on Linux and BSD

emi...@genesishosting.com

Apr 21, 2015, 8:13:45 PM4/21/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I posted an issue a while back in the Issue Tracker, but haven't gotten much traction, so I thought I'd see if anyone here has run into the same issue and possibly resolved it.

The issue is here:
https://bitbucket.org/lucee/lucee/issue/229/lucee-451000-error

Essentially (at least for me), Lucee Express works on Windows only.  The Linux installer works too.

However, using Lucee Express on CentOS 6.5, Ubuntu 11.10 LTS, and OpenBSD 5.6 have all resulted in the same problem - Tomcat starts, but loading the main page of Lucee results in a StackOverflowError message.

This also happens with Lucee Express with Jetty, including the latest Jetty 9 described/downloaded here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lucee/Pj70NfcKgZ4

I'm just baffled at what is going wrong since I haven't seen anyone describe the problem.

I'm using VMware Workstation 11 for all OS instances, but have also deployed CentOS on vSphere 5.5 with the same result - as expected.

Eric

mail...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2015, 6:01:25 AM4/22/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I looked at the bitbucket issue and the info is a bit sparse,

a stack overflow is most likely due to an infinite loop. does this happen witha particular cfml project or just a clean install of Lucee?

also in the past I tried but never manager to get railo (back in the day) running on openJDK and reverted back to oracle/sun java

HTH

GX

emi...@genesishosting.com

Apr 23, 2015, 2:09:52 AM4/23/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply!  This happens with a clean install (or rather download/unzip of the Express version of Lucee), when browsing to http://<ip_address>:8888/.  Of course this works on Linux when using the installer - it's the Express version that doesn't work.

I thought I also tried the Oracle/Sun Java, but I can't remember, so I'll try this as well and report back.

Eric

emi...@genesishosting.com

Apr 24, 2015, 4:44:32 PM4/24/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I went back to a snapshot that was pre-binary-install of Lucee, so only Express was unzipped, and I downloaded the jdk of 1.8.0 Update 45 from Oracle, set all of the environment variables in setenv.sh to point to the Oracle directories (see below for the contents of the setenv.sh file).

Unfortunately, still getting the stack overflow messages.

Eric

CATALINA_BASE=/lucee/lucee001; export CATALINA_BASE
CATALINA_HOME=/lucee/lucee001; export CATALINA_HOME
CATALINA_PID=/lucee/lucee001/work/tomcat.pid; export CATALINA_PID
CATALINA_TMPDIR=/lucee/lucee001/temp; export CATALINA_TMPDIR
JRE_HOME=/root/jdk1.8.0_45/jre; export JRE_HOME
JAVA_HOME=/root/jdk1.8.0_45; export JAVA_HOME
TOMCAT_OWNER=root; export TOMCAT_OWNER
JAVA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m  -javaagent:${CATALINA_HOME}/lib/ext/lucee-inst.jar"; export JAVA_OPTS;

denstar

Apr 25, 2015, 3:25:49 AM4/25/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
If you'd like to contribute to testing the bundles that will power the
new GUI installers, you can try one of the linux version from here:

http://cfmlprojects.org/artifacts/org/lucee/lucee.tomcat.modcfml.jre/4.5.1.011/

Should be an unzip + run lucee-ctl type of deal, and last I checked it
was working on CentOS 6. (Using the latest 1.7 JRE for now.)

-Den
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/886db5b9-d24c-4ffa-9031-5e65df072366%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/886db5b9-d24c-4ffa-9031-5e65df072366%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

emi...@genesishosting.com

Apr 25, 2015, 4:48:26 PM4/25/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely!  I'm downloading the 64-bit version now and will report back after playing with it on CentOS 6.5.

Eric

Eric K. Miller

Apr 25, 2015, 5:06:30 PM4/25/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

First attempt, after a simple "unzip", then "./lucee-ctl start", the service starts, but with a PID error (looks like the wrong directory?):

[root@localhost lucee-tomcat]# ./lucee-ctl start

SET JAVA_HOME to /lucee/lucee-tomcat/jre

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /lucee/lucee-tomcat/tomcat

Using CATALINA_HOME:   /lucee/lucee-tomcat/tomcat

Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /lucee/lucee-tomcat/tomcat/temp

Using JRE_HOME:        /lucee/lucee-tomcat/jre

Using CLASSPATH:       /lucee/lucee-tomcat/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/lucee/lucee-tomcat/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar

Using CATALINA_PID:    /lucee/lucee-tomcat/tomcatbin/catalina.pid

./bin/catalina.sh: line 410: /lucee/lucee-tomcat/tomcatbin/catalina.pid: No such file or directory

Tomcat started.

[root@localhost lucee-tomcat]# netstat -an | grep 8888

tcp        0      0 :::8888                     :::*                        LISTEN

tcp        0      0 ::ffff:127.0.0.1:8888       ::ffff:127.0.0.1:33668      TIME_WAIT

unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     48888  /tmp/orbit-root/linc-325a-0-43612daae248c

But this results in the attached screenshot (if the mailing list supports attachments).

Eric

image001.png

emi...@genesishosting.com

Apr 25, 2015, 5:15:17 PM4/25/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the PID issue is a simple one - just a missing / in lucee_ctl (line 10):

function start() {
    export CATALINA_PID=$SCRIPT_DIR/tomcatbin/catalina.pid;
            cd "$SCRIPT_DIR/tomcat"
            ./bin/catalina.sh start "$@"
    export EXIT_CODE=$?
}

denstar

Apr 26, 2015, 1:06:27 PM4/26/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Sweet, thanks for checking it ou!. I added a fix for the missing / in
the ctl script. The next build will have it.

What do people think about switching to JRE 8 instead of 7?

-Den