Mac Os X installer ?

DMan

Mar 9, 2015, 4:52:04 PM3/9/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Are there plans for a Mac Os X installer ?
Thanks.

Mike Henson

Mar 10, 2015, 6:33:30 AM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
<sound> crickets chirping </ sound>

I have also wondered about a mac install. I don't know if the Linux installs or the Express version will run on a mac, and I haven't had the time to test yet.

Robert Zehnder

Mar 10, 2015, 12:49:49 PM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
If you are comfortable getting instance of Tomcat running, it is just a matter of downloading the WAR file deploy, extract the WEB-INF folder and dropping it in the root of your context. Getting Tomcat running isn't really that hard and you can also deploy ACF the same way if you need to run it side-by-side so to speak.

Steve Withington

Mar 10, 2015, 12:49:56 PM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
You don't really need an installer, IMO. Just use one of the Express versions, Tomcat or Jetty ... your choice: http://lucee.org/downloads.html

Steps are the same for both:

1) Download and unzip
2) Execute the startup.sh file  (or rename the startup.sh to startup.command and double-click it)
3) Go to localhost:8888

Cheers,
Steve

DMan

Mar 10, 2015, 1:03:57 PM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

You don’t really need an installer on Windows either if it’s much of the same procedure but that’s not the point.

The point is that the Installer makes it easy, super easy to start using Lucee. It lowers the barrier to entry. The alternative is a list of manual steps, who needs that in this day and age?

Are there plans for a Mac Os X installer (or not)? I've asked this question twice over the last week but all I get it silence from Lucee. A Yes or No would be appreciated.

thanks.

Andrew Dixon

Mar 10, 2015, 1:19:42 PM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
As there was not a Railo installer for Mac, I'm going to go with no at the moment. It is probably simply a case that there is a person who knows how to create the installer for Windows and another for Linux but there is no-one who knows how to do it for the Mac.

As with all FOSS it comes down to the community to provide a lot of this "handy" stuff, so if you would like to learn how to create an installer for the Mac and would like to contribute it I'm very sure it would be very much welcomed.

Kind regards,

Andrew
about.me
mso - Lucee - Member

Steve Withington

Mar 10, 2015, 1:22:02 PM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
@DMan,

I want to clarify that I'm not part of Team Lucee. So, I cannot answer your question with a "Yes" or "No" directly.

That said, the steps are exactly the same on Windows too.

The key is, people need to have Java installed and a JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME environment variable defined. So, an installer would probably be good for determining if the OS meets these requirements, and alert the end user accordingly. I agree there's value in this for non-technical people. However, if you're downloading Lucee, I think it's fairly safe to assume you would be a "technical" oriented person.

Best of l

Steve Withington

Mar 10, 2015, 1:24:31 PM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
@Andrew, I don't think it's a matter of nobody knowing "how" to do it. I think it may possibly be the price tag that comes with the software to make it happen for a fledgling company such as Lucee and how best to spend those dollars. Railo used to use BitRock's InstallBuilder (I believe) ... however, that comes with price tag of $3,000 US.

Jon Clausen

Mar 10, 2015, 1:28:20 PM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I haven’t created custom taps for homebrew before, but that would be the right way to handle any installer so that it would work seamlessly with OSX’s (or Homebrew’s) Apache.  Managing Lucee versions through Homebrew would be great for testing.

That said, I use CommandBox to test and develop apps deployed on Lucee/Railo:  https://www.ortussolutions.com/products/commandbox  Just drop the Lucee jars from the downloads page in to ~/.CommandBox/lib and you’ll be running on Lucee (I’m pretty sure Luis plans to upgrade the default CB engine soon).

Jon

Jordan Michaels

Mar 10, 2015, 1:35:45 PM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I, personally, have no plans to develop and installer for Mac, nor do I have any interest in doing so. I talked about this a long time ago with regards to the Railo builds. The EULA for Mac OS is draconian, you are forbidden to run it or test with it unless you own a Mac. I am a Linux user, so I have absolutely no need for a Mac - as such, it's not possible for me to create an installer for Macs. You can thank the draconian Mac OS EULA for being so awesome.

In the past, Bilal (the same person who developed the BonCode connector for windows) had volunteered to create a Mac installer build. I know Denny has the history of that build but I have no idea if Denny plans on incorporating that into his Installers. It's totally up to him if he does, so it's up to him to reply to you if he has plans for that or not.

As Andrew points out below, you are in a unique position as a Mac user. If you'd like to donate your time to help with building and testing an installer for Mac (like I do, like Denny does, like Bilal does, etc), you are completely free to do so. This is the beauty of open-source... and notice how OSS contrasts so drastically with draconian, limiting, money-driven EULA's.

-Jordan

about.me <http://about.me/andrew_dixon>
mso <http://www.mso.net> - Lucee <http://lucee.org> - Member
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/3eec3884-c326-4397-aef4-6a898efc7c4f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

denstar

Mar 10, 2015, 2:35:23 PM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
There are plans for an OS X installer.

The guts are about ready for testing.

I say the "guts", because I've taken a different approach with the new
installer: Instead of having it do all the magic, the "daemon" install
scripts are now included with the packages.

This goes for all the OS-specific packages-- darwin (OS X) + *nix, windows.

So now all the installer is doing is setting ports (checking if they are
available first), and other configuration-related tasks, and then
calling the service/daemon installation scripts to have things start
automatically on boot.

For OS X and Linux, you can download the package you want (say Tomcat8
with JRE), unzip it, and run "./bin/daemon/install.sh" to have it
automatically start, and automatically start upon reboot too.

On OS X, if you run the daemon install script as a normal user, it adds
a plist item to ~/Library/LaunchAgents, which will have Lucee start up
whenever you log in. If you run the script as an administrator, it adds
the plist to /Lbrary/LaunchDaemons, so Lucee will be available for all
users.

The Tomcat packages have Tomcat listening on 8888, the NGINX+Tomcat
packages have NGINX listening on 8080, and proxy requests to 8888.

There is also a "./bin/daemon/remove.sh" script, which will remove the
daemon/service (but doesn't remove any application files).

I'm really liking this setup, as it means a "super easy" installation
option is always available, and there's consistency for the .deb and RPM
installs as well.

-Den

Dominic Watson

Mar 10, 2015, 6:45:14 PM3/10/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Sounds exciting Den :)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/54FF3966.1060105%40gmail.com.

Pixl8 Interactive, 3 Tun Yard, Peardon Street, London
SW8 3HT, United Kingdom

T: +44 [0] 845 260 0726 W: www.pixl8.co.uk E: in...@pixl8.co.uk

Follow us on: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED - This e-mail and any attachment is intended solely for the addressee, is strictly confidential and may also be subject to legal, professional or other privilege or may be protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you are not the addressee please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead, please email it back to the sender and then immediately permanently delete it. Pixl8 Interactive Ltd Registered in England. Registered number: 04336501. Registered office: 8 Spur Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3EB

DMan

Mar 11, 2015, 5:12:38 AM3/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
This is great news, thanks for the update.

Alex Skinner

Mar 11, 2015, 6:09:19 AM3/11/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Denny

As Dom said sounds great.  Where do we get these so we can start contributing and testing?

Cheers

Alex

Sent from my phone

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/54FF3966.1060105%40gmail.com.

denstar

Mar 12, 2015, 3:06:38 AM3/12/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On 3/10/15 11:28 AM, Jon Clausen wrote:
> I haven’t created custom taps for homebrew before, but that would be the
> right way to handle any installer so that it would work seamlessly with
> OSX’s (or Homebrew’s) Apache. Managing Lucee versions through Homebrew
> would be great for testing.

It will be easy to add brew support too, the nice thing about using the
"normal" system stuff for OS X is that you don't have to install brew to
get up and going lickity-split. Some people can't install brew, or
might not have admin power, and the route I went will support even those
poor bastards. :)

If people want to check out an OS X "full stack" (a package including
NGINX as the webserver), it's here:

http://cfmlprojects.org/artifacts/org/lucee/lucee.nginx.tomcat.jre/4.5.1.007/lucee.nginx.tomcat.jre-4.5.1.007-darwin64.zip

Just extract, and run "./lucee-ctl" to get a little menu for start
options, or run "./lucee-ctl start" to have it start, and then
"./lucee-ctl stop" to have it stop. If you run into problems, check
/tomcat/logs/lucee-service.log and see what it says.

I'm not sure if it will work with OS X versions below Yosemite, if not
we can address that. I'll post a general "installer" followup later on,
there are a few things we should discuss about setups in general.

-Den

DMan

Oct 15, 2015, 4:35:47 PM10/15/15
to Lucee
Half a year later nothing! I take it this will never happen right ?
Would be great if Lucee made a statement on this.

Thanks.

Nando Breiter

Oct 15, 2015, 5:14:11 PM10/15/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
From my experience, the express version is no different from the production version. Same mouse-click experience you'd have from an installer, it just takes a double click to unzip it. Find server.xml as usual, edit it for your dev environment, and you should be set.

That said, I'm getting 500 errors from http://lucee.org/downloads.html following the download links, which should be looked into.

Aria Media Sagl
Via Rompada 40
6987 Caslano
Switzerland

+41 (0)91 600 9601
+41 (0)76 303 4477 cell
skype: ariamedia

--
See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

Robert Munn

Oct 16, 2015, 1:09:39 AM10/16/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
It isn’t a Lucee installer per se, but you can get a running Lucee instance by installing CommandBox.

AJ Mercer

Apr 23, 2016, 10:37:07 PM4/23/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Denny

I am messing around with CommandBox on the Mac

Do you have a sample plist xml file?

I was thinking I could point it to a script like this

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/54FF3966.1060105%40gmail.com.

denstar

Apr 26, 2016, 12:15:45 AM4/26/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On 04/23/2016 08:37 PM, AJ Mercer wrote:
> Hi Denny
>
> I am messing around with CommandBox on the Mac
>
> Do you have a sample plist xml file?
>
> I was thinking I could point it to a script like this
> http://pi.bradwood.com/blog/starting-the-cfml-server-on-boot

You should be able to grab the zip from here:

http://cfmlprojects.org/artifacts/org/lucee/lucee.tomcat/5.0.0.243-SNAPSHOT/

And then take a look at:

lucee-tomcat/tomcat/bin/daemon/install.sh

which for OS X uses:

lucee-tomcat/tomcat/bin/daemon/tmpl/darwin.plist

It's all pretty generic, and designed to work with anything, really, not
just Lucee. That daemon stuff is generated via cfdistro, which is what
builds CommandBox, and I've been meaning to add the same thing for it,
so you can add daemons for whatever system you're on.

I rather like the way the OS X stuff turned out, as you can have it auto
start for the system, or just for the user. (I think I might have got
it to work that way for each OS, come to think of it.)

Anyways, it would be pretty easy to include a ./CommandBox/daemon
directory, similar to the one I linked to above, for folks who want to
use it as a daemon/service. Feel free to file a ticket, or update one
if there's one there already, over on the cmdbox ticket dealie.

DeN

AJ Mercer

Apr 26, 2016, 12:31:29 AM4/26/16
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Denny

where does the CommandBox build live?
according to Google, it use to live here

--
Love Lucee? Become a supporter and be part of the Lucee project today! - http://lucee.org/supporters/become-a-supporter.html

Brad Wood

Apr 26, 2016, 11:47:00 AM4/26/16
to Lucee
The CommandBox build artifacts live here on the Ortus integration server:

The actual build file for CommandBox lives here in GitHub:

Thanks!

~Brad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to lucee+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/571EEB6E.70603%40gmail.com.