what does releaseComObject() actually do?

Jonathan Brookins

Oct 20, 2015, 12:28:45 PM10/20/15
to Lucee
I came across this in the Lucee documentation.  Tested it, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything, or at least when I created a component, releaseComObject()ed it, then did a dump it was still around.  Is this supposed to work with components, or other types of com objects?

Thanks!

Chris Blackwell

Oct 20, 2015, 1:39:23 PM10/20/15
to Lucee

It's used when you create a 'com' object.

obj = createobject('com', 'some.activex.thing.or.whateva')
obj.dosomething()
releaseComObject(obj)

This is only really relevant on windows, as that's where you're likely to want to use COM objects.

--
See Lucee at CFCamp Oct 22 & 23 2015 @ Munich Airport, Germany - Get your ticket NOW - http://www.cfcamp.org/

Jonathan Brookins

Oct 20, 2015, 1:54:05 PM10/20/15
to Lucee
Ah, I was afraid of that.  Thanks for the confirmation, Chris.