German Umlaut Problem

CISC, LLC.

Jul 28, 2015, 1:50:44 AM7/28/15
to Lucee
Hi,

thank you for your great piece of software!

I have a little problem after upgrading from railo.
On Railo all german umlauts were working (including saving to mysql database)
Now I can not get it into my database.

The following error is generated. Maybe database-connector related?

Lucee 4.5.1.022 Error (database)
Message
DetailIncorrect string value: '\xD6sterr...' for column 'Field11' at row 1
SQL
INSERT INTO TABLE

(Field1,Field2,Field3,Field4,Field5,Field6,EMail,Field8,Field9,Field10,Field11,Field12,Field13,Field14,Field15)

VALUES ('TEST','TEST','20','2015-09-28','01','1','e...@mail.com','City','1111','Street','Österreich','0','','1980-01-01','0')
DatabaseNameMySQL
DatabaseVersion5.1.63-0+squeeze1
DriverNameMySQL-AB JDBC Driver
DriverVersionmysql-connector-java-5.1.20 ( Revision: tonci...@oracle.com-20111003110438-qfydx066wsbydkbw )

May someone please help me?

Regards

Ivan Rotrekl

Jul 28, 2015, 2:59:30 AM7/28/15
to Lucee, christian....@gmail.com
Hi,

maybe you could check your datasource definition in Lucee admin. With the options "use unicode" set to true and "charset" UTF-8 it  works fine for me with East European character ranges.  I guess that should work for umlaut also. Also check the Charset option in Settings in Lucee Admin  ( I have set that to UTF-8 as well).

Regards

Ivan

Michael Hnat

Jul 28, 2015, 3:02:05 AM7/28/15
to Lucee
Hi,

three points you should check:
- settings -> charset
- database charset
- charset of the webserver

These setting should match.

I'm running Lucee without any charset problems.

Best, Michi

Jul 28, 2015, 4:09:48 AM7/28/15
to Lucee, christian....@gmail.com
Thanks for your help!

After doublechecking all settings I restarted lucee and voila!

The restart did the magic.

Regards

Christian

Jul 28, 2015, 4:41:26 AM7/28/15
to Lucee, christian....@gmail.com
Hello again ;)

Just found same error on different lucee session on same server.

If I enter TäST it returns Tä„ST after saving to mysql DB in utf8-unicode-ci
If I change it in the DB directly it shows correct on the coldfusion website - resaving it it converts back to Tä„ST ....

All settings in the lucee web admin set to UTF-8...

The cfm page is included with a cfswitch - cfcase - cfinclude

Regards

Michael Hnat

Jul 28, 2015, 5:05:41 AM7/28/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

if everything in Lucee is set to utf-8 check your webserver.
If your webservers charset ist ISO-8859-1 and Lucee is UTF-8 you'll get probably the wrong charset.

What you also can do is using SetEncoding('form','utf-8') to set the submitted data as UTF-8. But this is just fixing a problem different charsets. I'm pretty sure the webserver serves the wrong charset.

Best,
Michi

Jul 28, 2015, 5:39:30 AM7/28/15
to Lucee, christian....@gmail.com
Thank you Michi!

I have AddDefaultCharset utf-8 in my apache settings so it should work....
Anyway. SetEncoding worked.

Thank you!