Which Linux dist to run lucee?

thorste...@googlemail.com

Jun 4, 2015, 10:01:50 AM6/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
which Linux distro and Webserver do you recommend to run lucee in production?
It will be in a vps wit 1 Côte and 2 gig ram.
Ia ubuntu with nginx the right choice for a Linux noob?
Database will be for now SQL Server in another box.
Cheers Thorsten

Dominic Watson

Jun 4, 2015, 10:03:34 AM6/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
We use Ubuntu 14.04 in production and it works great. Super stable and probably the easiest distro to use + get help on should you get stuck.

Dominic

Pixl8 Interactive, 3 Tun Yard, Peardon Street, London
SW8 3HT, United Kingdom

T: +44 [0] 845 260 0726 W: www.pixl8.co.uk E: in...@pixl8.co.uk

Follow us on: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED - This e-mail and any attachment is intended solely for the addressee, is strictly confidential and may also be subject to legal, professional or other privilege or may be protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you are not the addressee please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead, please email it back to the sender and then immediately permanently delete it. Pixl8 Interactive Ltd Registered in England. Registered number: 04336501. Registered office: 8 Spur Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3EB

Nando Breiter

Jun 4, 2015, 10:08:07 AM6/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I'd go with CentOS and Nginx. CentOS because it's a free distribution of RedHat, hence probably the best choice for production environments where stability is more important than innovation. And Nginx because I like the ease with which it can be configured.

Aria Media Sagl
Via Rompada 40
6987 Caslano
Switzerland

+41 (0)91 600 9601
+41 (0)76 303 4477 cell
skype: ariamedia

Message has been deleted

Terry Whitney

Jun 4, 2015, 11:22:02 AM6/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I suggest CentOS to most folks who have everyday needs, and RHEL to those who extra level of support afforded with a commercial product. Both are stable, secure, and are well documented.

Ubuntu, is bleeding edge. Its performance is lack luster, its configuration is anything but standard and security issues abound.

As for a web server, Apache is rock solid. The only reasons to go with lighthttpd or nginx is if performance is desired over features.

Jon Clausen

Jun 4, 2015, 11:35:09 AM6/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
+1 for CentOS, though OpenSuSE or SuSE Enterprise is a close second for me, and a first in some scenarios.  Rackspace and Amazon are about the only hosts that offer it on VM’s though, unless you have your own servers you can provision. For a Linux noob, you’ll get up to speed faster and can configure your server more efficiently with SuSE’s YAST Software Management than you will with individual module configuration on RHEL or CentOS.  Lucee runs like a top on OpenSuSE 13.

I’m not a fan of Ubuntu for the reasons Terry mentioned.

I would also recommend Apache if you’re new to Linux, if only because there’s much more documentation out there to help get you up and running.

On June 4, 2015 at 11:21:00 AM, Terry Whitney (twhitn...@gmail.com) wrote:

I suggest CentOS to most folks who have everyday needs, and RHEL to those who extra level of support afforded with a commercial product. Both are stable, secure, and have ton of documentation.

Ubuntu, is bleeding edge. Its performance is lack luster, its configuration is anything but standard and security issues abound.

As for a web server, Apache is rock solid. The only reasons to go with lighthttpd or nginx is if performance is desired over features.

Igal @ Lucee.org

Jun 4, 2015, 11:41:12 AM6/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
+1

also, Ubuntu is known to be a memory hog, and with 2GB of RAM you'd be cutting it close.

nginx is definitely a fine choice and my personal favorite.  you can run it on Windows and get familiarized with it prior to moving to Linux which might make your transition a little easier.

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Andrew Dixon

Jun 4, 2015, 12:03:11 PM6/4/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
+1 for CentOS or if your using AWS I would suggest Amazon Linux, which is another Redhat flavour (I think)...

Kind regards,

Andrew

Mike Henson

Jun 5, 2015, 7:12:37 AM6/5/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
CentOS is the only Linux OS I have set up Railo on - have not done so with Lucee, but only because I no longer use that particular box. I used CentOS 6.x previously, but I do have a CentOS 7 vm that I occasionally use, and some of my complaints about 6 have been addressed. I am also not a Linux guy - almost everything I have ever done was done on MS products, but CentOS made life easy. I'm trying to branch out. About a year ago I went full on Apple at home, and I have learned a lot making that switch. Since I do quite a bit of sys admin in a MS environment at work, my primary computer is Windows based. I have a mac at work for development / whatever else I want to use for. I need to set up a web server at home, and I may go back to CentOS for this.

thorste...@googlemail.com

Jun 5, 2015, 9:31:42 AM6/5/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your recommendations. I guess i will try ubuntu and CentOS. I already played with both a while ago.

Jochem van Dieten

Jun 5, 2015, 9:51:07 AM6/5/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 4:01 PM, wrote:
which Linux distro and Webserver do you recommend to run lucee in production?

For Linux, the one you (or the people you would turn to for support, like the people selling you the VPS) know most about.

For webserver I think Apache has more documentation and mindshare and the option to use AJP next to HTTP forwarding is something I like a lot. However, I have found setting up Websockets to run on the same port as your website runs much easier with Nginx and Tomcat than with Apache and Tomcat. But that is only if you plan to use websockets on the same port.

Jochem

Robert Munn

Jun 5, 2015, 7:21:52 PM6/5/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
If you go with Ubuntu, I might suggest 12.04 LTS in production rather than 14.04 LTS. See the reasons here:

You can mitigate some of these issues, but 14.04 leaves you with a kernel that is going to be unsupported upstream. No bueno.

If you prefer a less bleeding edge distro you can try Debian.

You could also try FreeBSD, though config might take a bit more doing than other distros:

On Jun 5, 2015, at 6:31 AM, thorste...@googlemail.com wrote:

Thanks for your recommendations. I guess i will try ubuntu and CentOS. I already played with both a while ago.

Robert Munn

Jun 5, 2015, 7:31:36 PM6/5/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
And Nginx is much better with a low-memory system than Apache. Not even close.