Upgrade from Lucee 4.5 to Lucee 5 - documentation lacking, open questions

Harry Klein

May 21, 2015, 9:37:45 AM5/21/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
The upgrade steps documented here
are really lacking.

This sentence has an important typo:
>> Add lucee.jar and org-apache-felix-main-x-x-x.jar (x-x-x stands for a specific version) to "/lib/etc" from the download and remove all other jars in that directory, but do not remove the directory "railo-server"/"lucee-server" if that directory is present there, which is the case with default installations.

I guess you meant "ext" and not "etc"?

These were my steps, could you please update the documentation?

1) Create a new folder under Tomcat/lib called "ext"
2) Copy lucee.jar and org-apache-felix-main-x-x-x.jar to /lib/ext
3) Add ',"${catalina.base}/lib/ext","${catalina.base}/lib/ext/*.jar","${catalina.home}/lib/ext","${catalina.home}/lib/ext/*.jar"' to catalina.properties at the and of common.loader=...

What is also missing is the installation step to add the new Lucee Servlet.
I would suggest:

Add Lucee Servlet to /conf/web.xml

<servlet>
<servlet-name>LuceeServlet</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>lucee.loader.servlet.LuceeServlet</servlet-class>
<load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>LuceeServlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>*.lucee</url-pattern>
<url-pattern>/index.lucee/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

My biggest problem with this upgrade is the fact that these Lucee 4.5 settings are ignored:

These settings are ignored, so all settings are lost?
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>CFMLServlet</servlet-name>
        <description>CFML runtime Engine</description>
        <servlet-class>lucee.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>lucee-web-directory</param-name>
            <param-value>D:/ApacheTomcat/lucee-web-config/{web-context-label}/</param-value>
            <description>Lucee Web Directory</description>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>lucee-server-root</param-name>
            <param-value>D:/ApacheTomcat/lucee-server-config/</param-value>
            <description>Directory where Lucee server root is stored</description>
        </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

Instead two new folders were created and my old settings are lost!
D:\ApacheTomcat\lucee-server
D:\projekte_cf\WEB-INF\lucee\lucee-web.xml.cfm

So my question is:
Is it possible to upgrade and import/keep my old server/web settings?

Another question:
Is it still not possible to load custom jars (the classic way) - see https://luceeserver.atlassian.net/browse/LDEV-290 ?

I got this information on 05/07: "This will be solved before we release the next beta, we are working atm on all OSGi issues..."
And the "next beta" 5.0.49 was release on 05/13?

-Harry

Harry Klein

May 21, 2015, 9:45:54 AM5/21/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

The loading of custom jars seems to work now! This answers my second question, although the status/resolution for LDEV-290 should be changed?

-Harry

Kai Koenig

May 21, 2015, 4:45:05 PM5/21/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harry,

it’d be great if you could just create an account (if you don’t have one) and quickly update the steps yourself! I recently changed something on the wiki and I think I didn’t need any special permissions etc.

Cheers
Kai

Michael Offner

May 22, 2015, 2:47:28 AM5/22/15
to lucee
ticket 290 status is changed now.

Micha

Harry Klein

May 22, 2015, 3:42:36 AM5/22/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Gary Stanton

Sep 22, 2016, 12:20:12 PM9/22/16
to Lucee
So, after clicking on the link to this article on the BitBucket Wiki, I went through the following steps:

1) Forced to log in with Google
2) Asked to create a username with Atlassian (Even though I've logged in, with my Google account)
3) Asked to provide my email address (Ditto, above)
4) Asked to provide a new password (For an account I neither want, nor need!)
5) Asked to confirm my email address (Sigh)
6) Shown a welcome page detailing the many delights that will await me, eventually, when Atlassian release their exciting new single account (but not yet)
7) Told I don't have access to this Wiki.

FUMING!!

Also, I upgraded from 4.5 using the docs here: http://docs.lucee.org/guides/lucee-5/upgrading-lucee-45.html and am now unable to access Tomcat in any way.
Can anyone help?

Mark Drew

Sep 22, 2016, 12:50:45 PM9/22/16
to lucee
Yeah that is an old link to it (from over a year ago it seems)

It all moved to http://docs.lucee.org

MD

--
Get 10% off of the regular price for this years CFCamp in Munich, Germany (Oct. 20th & 21st) with the Lucee discount code Lucee@cfcamp. 189€ instead of 210€. Visit https://ti.to/cfcamp/cfcamp-2016/discount/Lucee@cfcamp

Gary Stanton

Sep 22, 2016, 1:54:04 PM9/22/16
to Lucee
Aha!
Thanks Mark.

I note though, that the instructions in the docs don't include the extra bits mentioned above - and lo, when I followed the instructions I found I was unable to connect to Tomcat - though the service starts and logs look fine... I thought the extra info added to the wiki as a result of this discussion might shed some light on the issue.
For now, I've had to revert back to 4.5 :(

Incidentally, I'm getting 'method not found' when using 'lock' in cfscript. Wasn't sure if it was available in 4.5 which is why I was upgrading in the first place!

Travis Peters

Nov 22, 2016, 12:54:34 PM11/22/16
to Lucee
I'm thinking of that Office meme:
If the instructions to upgrade from 4.5 actually worked, That'd be great!

Yeah, not happy.

Documentation seems to be lacking all around on this project - it's really too bad - I love the concept and have several Lucee-served projects on the go.

Brad Wood

Nov 23, 2016, 11:23:44 AM11/23/16
to Lucee
What additional docs would you like to see.  The doc for upgrading from Lucee 4.5 is right here:

And honestly, it's pretty short because that's really all there is to it!  You just swap the jar and restart.  If you're having issues, I would recommend starting a new thread with any errors from the logs.  I see people saying things like, "I tried it and can't access tomcat", but that's not really enough information to try and help them.

Gary, I see you asked about whether cflock worked in cfscript in Lucee 4.  Yes, there has been a script version of lock for a very long time.  If you're getting an error, again, please provide actual information like full stack traces and code samples in a new thread if you want help.

Thanks!

~Brad

Travis Peters

Nov 23, 2016, 12:05:15 PM11/23/16
to Lucee
Thanks Brad.  I'll do that.

Jason Tully

Feb 1, 2017, 4:03:24 PM2/1/17
to Lucee

I was able to upgrade from 4.5 to 5 by dropping in the JAR file. However, I'm still running Tomcat 7 (that was included with the Lucee installer). Is there an easy way to upgrade to Tomcat 8? My hope was that I can just run the Lucee v5 installer and install to "C:\Lucee5" and have it created everything fresh (including the updated Tomcat 8) and then copy my settings over from Lucee 4. But it didn't work since the Tomcat service already existed. I was hoping I could just have 2 services (I know I could only start 1) but then I would be able to cut back to 4 (installed at C:\Lucee) by simply starting and stopping the 2 services.

I tried to follow these instructions:

But they did not work. I started over twice. Tomcat started fine, but IIS always displayed a tomcat 404. Boncode logs showed it was passing the data to Tomcat.

I currently doing all this on my development server which is identical to my production server. I have over 60+ Lucee sites in production, and need this upgrade to happen fast and be able to bounce back to Lucee 4 if something goes terribly wrong.

Graham Pearson

Feb 16, 2017, 9:45:21 AM2/16/17
to Lucee
I have been trying to upgrade 4.5.2.018 due to a function that will through an error on any later version. I spun up a new virtual and started with the same version of Lucee/MuraCMS/Mysql which I imported the database to this new virtual. Once I verified that everything was working on 4.5.2.018, I then started the upgrade process of only Lucee. Through the web admin I was able to upgrade to 4.5.5.006 without any issues. When I tested this to make sure things worked, I then followed the instructions below to try and upgrade Lucee 4.5.5.006 to Lucee 5.0.1.85

The instructions looked easy which I entered the /opt/lucee/tomcat/lib directory and rm -rf *.jar (To Remove all jar files)
I then copied the downloaded lucee-5.0.1.85.jar from http://lucee.org/downloads.html under the Custom JAR link and placed it within the /opt/lucee/tomcat/lib directory as noted in the documentation
I then updated the setenv.sh file to remove the lucee-inst.jar file as noted within the documentation.
Then upon starting the service I get the following error message:

[mod_cfml] Starting mod_cfml version: 1.1.05
16-Feb-2017 09:14:32.602 INFO [127.0.0.1-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deploying web application directory /opt/lucee/tomcat/webapps/ROOT
16-Feb-2017 09:14:32.685 SEVERE [127.0.0.1-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal ContainerBase.addChild: start:
 org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[127.0.0.1].StandardContext[]]
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:725)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:701)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:717)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1101)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1816)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI scheme is not "file"
        at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:421)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanner.process(StandardJarScanner.java:317)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanner.scan(StandardJarScanner.java:244)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processJarsForWebFragments(ContextConfig.java:1872)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.webConfig(ContextConfig.java:1119)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.configureStart(ContextConfig.java:771)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:305)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:95)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:90)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5080)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        ... 10 more

16-Feb-2017 09:14:32.686 SEVERE [127.0.0.1-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Error deploying web application directory /opt/lucee/tomcat/webapps/ROOT
 java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[127.0.0.1].StandardContext[]]
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:729)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:701)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:717)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1101)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1816)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

16-Feb-2017 09:14:32.687 INFO [127.0.0.1-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web application directory /opt/lucee/tomcat/webapps/ROOT has finished in 84 ms
16-Feb-2017 09:14:32.705 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8888"]
16-Feb-2017 09:14:32.733 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.start Starting ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio-8009"]
16-Feb-2017 09:14:32.756 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 34026 ms

I am able to view a simple html only file so Apache is working. If I try to browse http://172.16.252.83:8888/ I get a 404 error. If I try to view http://172.16.252.83/test.cfm which dumps #NOW()# I get a 404 error page. I also get a 404 error page when trying to view http://172.16.252.83/lucee/admin.cfm

Graham Pearson

Feb 16, 2017, 10:20:54 AM2/16/17
to Lucee
I then zip'd up a working Lucee 4.5.5.006 /opt/lucee/lib directory which had the jar files and a lucee-server directory and extracted them on this test server which did not work after the upgrade. I stopped/started the lucee server and was able to view the lucee admin under 4.5.2.018. I then updated this test server to 4.5.5.006

I then deleted all of the jar files in /opt/tomcat/lib directory and copied the lucee-5.1.1.85.jar to this directory. I noticed during this test that when I started lucee it removed the lucee-server directory in /opt/lucee/lib and not able to access the lucee admin page.