[Railo] Continue to use Railo Google Group or switch to Lucee Group ?

Desmond Miles

Mar 17, 2015, 12:25:04 PM3/17/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I currently use ACF and more recently Railo but currently not moving on Lucee for several reasons (not because of Lucee).
I'm registered on Railo Google Group and I noticed there's no more a lot of activity there... A lot of people recommend switching to Lucee ;-)

As I may certainly use Railo for a long time (before Lucee), I would like to know if people can still ask Railo question here even if they don't currently use Lucee ?
I mean do they have to switch to Lucee in order to ask for something here ?

Thanks,

Dominic Watson

Mar 17, 2015, 12:30:59 PM3/17/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Welcome :)

I'd ask your questions here - the questions will almost certainly be cross compatible and no one will mind at all that you are still running Railo.

Though the "I may certainly use Railo for a long time" sounds like something you might be persuaded away from doing?

Pixl8 Interactive, 3 Tun Yard, Peardon Street, London
SW8 3HT, United Kingdom

T: +44 [0] 845 260 0726 W: www.pixl8.co.uk E: in...@pixl8.co.uk

Follow us on: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED - This e-mail and any attachment is intended solely for the addressee, is strictly confidential and may also be subject to legal, professional or other privilege or may be protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you are not the addressee please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead, please email it back to the sender and then immediately permanently delete it. Pixl8 Interactive Ltd Registered in England. Registered number: 04336501. Registered office: 8 Spur Road, Cosham, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3EB

Sean Corfield

Mar 17, 2015, 1:47:22 PM3/17/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 17, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Desmond Miles <onel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm registered on Railo Google Group and I noticed there's no more a lot of activity there... A lot of people recommend switching to Lucee ;-)

Because Railo hasn’t been updated for a while and isn’t likely to get any more updates — whereas Lucee is (effectively) an updated version of Railo and is being actively developed going forward.

> As I may certainly use Railo for a long time (before Lucee), I would like to know if people can still ask Railo question here even if they don't currently use Lucee ?

As Dominic says, ask away, but don’t be surprised if you ask about something that turns out to be a Railo bug that is fixed in Lucee and folks keep recommending you switch :)

Since Lucee is a fork of Railo, many of your questions about Railo will still apply to Lucee.

Sean Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."

Michael Offner

Mar 17, 2015, 2:24:11 PM3/17/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Sure, feel free to raise your questions, atm lucee is highly compatible to Railo, but have in mind that we already have fixed some bugs in lucee that still exist in Railo. So you will for sure not be able to raise tickets in our ticket system based on your Railo code, in that case you will get the answer "first update to the latest lucee release and test again".
Migrating from Railo is not that complicated btw

Desmond Miles

Mar 18, 2015, 6:40:53 AM3/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for your anwsers. It's nice that this group is open to Railo questions as well despite it is well named "Lucee" :-)
Thus I fully understand that bug related question for Railo may simply be redirected to switch to Lucee if "proved" that already fixed there.
That is - This may be the case for any Railo question which is not cross compatible or for which there may be a difference or update in Lucee.
Example :
Your Railo question no longer make sense today because it is now fixed in Lucee.  You should switch as Railo may no longer be updated.

Also some explanation about what I said here :
... currently not moving on Lucee for several reasons ...
... I may certainly use Railo for a long time ...

I use CFML at work and for personal projects :
  • At work: We decided to use Railo for some projects in addition to ACF. Decisions are not mine and using Lucee is not in the current roadmap.
  • Personal project: I can switch to Lucee at anytime. Decisions are mine ;-)
Most of my question are within my professional activity (personal stuff are on my free time only).

Andrew Dixon

Mar 18, 2015, 6:52:23 AM3/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Desmond,

You need to explain to the decision maker that Railo is to all intents and purposes dead, unless The Railo Company make some announcement to the contrary but so far they have been completely silent on the topic. I would recommend that you push to move to Lucee ASAP so that the migration is as easy as possible.

Kind regards,

Andrew
about.me
mso - Lucee - Member

Desmond Miles

Mar 18, 2015, 7:50:47 AM3/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Indeed discussions are ongoing. Not always easy but I hope it will be successfull.
One of the arguments I'm facing is "Lucee documentations are not ready yet, they're incomplete or there's a lack of docs". But I'm advocating ;-)

Andrew Dixon

Mar 18, 2015, 9:05:37 AM3/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
What sort of documentation are you looking for, there are docs:

Don't think Railo had any more documentation than that, probably less to be honest.

Kind regards,

Andrew
about.me
mso - Lucee - Member

Nando Breiter

Mar 18, 2015, 9:11:45 AM3/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
... and there are plans to significantly improve the Lucee documentation ...

Aria Media Sagl
Via Rompada 40
6987 Caslano
Switzerland

+41 (0)91 600 9601
+41 (0)76 303 4477 cell
skype: ariamedia

Dominic Watson

Mar 18, 2015, 11:20:36 AM3/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
> ... and there are plans to significantly improve the Lucee documentation ...

Which are well under way :) Watch this space.

Sean Corfield

Mar 18, 2015, 12:16:56 PM3/18/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 18, 2015, at 4:50 AM, Desmond Miles <onel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the arguments I'm facing is "Lucee documentations are not ready yet, they're incomplete or there's a lack of docs". But I'm advocating ;-)

As others have noted, Lucee’s docs are probably already better than Railo’s so that’s a strawman.

If there are ways we can assist in your advocacy, feel free to ask!

For most people, the switch from Railo to Lucee was a complete no-brainer since Railo stopped being updated and Lucee was "the next version", based on the same code, written and maintained by the same people (who are no longer involved with The Railo Company).

One Lookup

Mar 24, 2015, 9:21:25 AM3/24/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Good news ! We have finally included Lucee in current roadmap for specific projects (other still use ACF).
I must admit that currently Lucee documentation is not complete (e.g You won't find the Javadoc online. That is the same as the "javadoc-4-0" in Railo website).
I'm totally ok with that because it's normal. Lucee is brand new and I'm sure people are working to improve its documentation ;-)
I've started testing some use cases with Lucee and I'm sure it can handle the job (may be better than ACF).

Don't expect I'm "Desmond Miles". It's just a pseudonym ;-)