Coldfusion VS Lucee

Mehdi B

May 13, 2015, 1:41:41 PM5/13/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way of updating more a page like we had on railo?

As a developper I would like to work more on lucee but still keep apps running well on CF11.

I noticed some tweaks in DSN on the fly configs and more in scripting. If we know the features that would trigger issues we would either try to avoid them or at least comment them as lucee/railo specific and equivalent solution in CF11.

M B

Daniel Short

May 13, 2015, 9:13:02 PM5/13/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I was just looking for this myself. Is the Railo documentation applicable to Lucee at this point?

Dan

Nando Breiter

May 14, 2015, 5:50:17 AM5/14/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Mehdi,

As a developper I would like to work more on lucee but still keep apps running well on CF11.

I think the only way to reliably do this is to continually test against both engines while developing. Documentation is hard to get right, and documenting differences even more difficult, especially in that some differences will be bugs, in either engine, which might be fixed. Each developer will likely run across their own subset of differences, depending on the CFML features they use.

So I think the primary documentation needed is how to setup ACF and Lucee side by side for rapid, easy testing of the the same codebase against both engines. This might be helpful:

Similar instructions, but not exactly the same, will be applicable for Lucee and can be easily found. Essentially, you need to modify the docBase in Tomcat to be the same for both engines, and of course ensure each engine runs on a different port.

There is one issue I've run across that you may need to work around: the engines tend to step on each other's cookies, which is only a problem if both engines run from the same domain, which will be "localhost" while you are developing. I use separate browsers, one for ACF and one for Lucee, to work around this. Your other option is to clear cookies for localhost if you find that you suddenly can't login anymore locally.

So to summarize: use the same docBase for each engine installed locally for development, but test in different browsers.

I noticed some tweaks in DSN on the fly configs and more in scripting. If we know the features that would trigger issues we would either try to avoid them or at least comment them as lucee/railo specific and equivalent solution in CF11.

You will only really know which "features trigger issues" in your codebase if you test. Once you are setup, testing an existing codebase can be accomplished very quickly.

M B

Mehdi B

May 14, 2015, 6:10:26 AM5/14/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

No need for different browser as all you have to do is setup different host names for testings.

cf.localhost in your hosts

and

lucee.localhost

as cookies are tied to domains and thus will trigger any cookies conflicts ;-).

I'm well aware for setting them side by side and adding jetty to the stack, it helps a lot but if you we try to log issues and try to build a kb over errors we face. I noticed some nasty bugs in the past that would pop up as the engines ground are a bit different.

Mehdi

Paul Kukiel

May 14, 2015, 6:20:51 AM5/14/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Just use this:

for any local testing.  lucee.localtest.me cf.localtest.me can't be easier.

Paul Kukiel

Andrew Dixon

May 14, 2015, 8:37:44 AM5/14/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
These links will apply to Lucee for the time being however I have raised an enhancement request against the documentation project to add in this information for Lucee, however like Nando says, this will probably never be 100% so if you need your code working on ACF and Lucee you need to run your test suite against both ACF and Lucee.

Kind regards,

Andrew