Auto-Deploy archives from WEB-INF/lucee/deploy

Christian Meis

Feb 28, 2015, 2:03:01 PM2/28/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Hello group,

I'm fiddling with deployment options for archives. Digging the "old" Railo group I stumbled across Micha posting a feature here:

He called it a hidden/experimental feature in Railo 4.1. I get it that the idea was that one doesn't have to create the mapping beforehand, as it can be derived from the META data in the archive.

I just tried to deploy an archive that way, but Lucee doesn't seem to pick up the archive. Is this still expected to work? I tried archives with extensions of .ra and .lar.

Perhaps someone has got this working or Micha can shed some light?

Regards,
Christian Meis

Christian Meis

Mar 3, 2015, 10:11:36 AM3/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
So I get it that nobody is using this or has tried it?

If there's some spare time (which rather is never there ;-) ) I'll try to take a peek into the source code to see if this is "in there" somewhere/how.

Christian

Michael Offner

Mar 3, 2015, 10:45:38 AM3/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
This is still working and it will be a official feature in Lucee 5.0.
In lucee 5.0 you not only can install archives this way you can also install extensions that way, where exactly have you added the .lar file? As far as I remember it has not worked in the first lucee releases, because the extension name was not updated in the source, but in the latest release it should.
When you put the archive to the server context it is installed in the server admin, if you put it to the web context ...

Micha

Christian Meis

Mar 3, 2015, 11:10:05 AM3/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
I tested this on a Lucee Express 4.5.1.006 on Windows 7 64-Bit.

My simple test setup was:
* creating a directory "test1" in the webroot, put a more-or-less-nonsense index.cfm there ("<cfoutput>#now()#</cfoutput")
* in the web admin created a mapping "/test1" for "{web-root-directory}/test1"
* created the archive in the web admin and downloaded it, got a "archive-test1.lar".

From here on I'm not sure about the right way to continue:
Does the mapping have to exists for auto-deploy? I'd suppose not, but not sure here.
Does the directory for the mapping have to exists? Totally unsure.

I tried all variants without success:
* directory exists, mapping not
* directory exists, mapping exists
* directory and mapping don't exist

I all cases I put the archive-test1.lar into the WEB-INF\lucee\deploy folder.
Nothing happens (waiting for max. over 2 minutes). The archive file is still there, no mapping was created etc.
And - of course - the URL doesn't work (http://localhost/test1/index.cfm).

Thanks for stepping in, Micha!
Although - and that could be a good thing in the long run - I already downloaded the Lucee source and was starting to have a look around.
As Java is far from my day-to-day-slang this is an "interesting" journey right now ;-)

Christian

Am Samstag, 28. Februar 2015 20:03:01 UTC+1 schrieb Christian Meis:
Hello group,

I'm fiddling with deployment options for archives. Digging the "old" Railo group I stumbled across Micha posting a feature here:

He called it a hidden/experimental feature in Railo 4.1. I get it that the idea was that one doesn't have to create the mapping beforehand, as it can be derived from the META data in the archive.

I just tried to deploy an archive that way, but Lucee doesn't seem to pick up the archive. Is this still expected to work? I tried archives with extensions of .ra and .lar.

Perhaps someone has got this working or Micha can shed some light?

Regards,
Christian Meis

Christian Meis

Mar 3, 2015, 11:19:41 AM3/3/15
to lu...@googlegroups.com
Something I forgot:
I've started looking at the source code and at first glance if something's going wrong I'd expect log entries in the deploy log.

I don't see anything in the deploy log (and not in catalina.out et al) that seems to fit my experiments...

Christian