Planer Thicknesser

Neeam Radia

Sep 22, 2021, 2:23:15 PM9/22/21
to London Hackspace
Hi all! Becoming a member soon. The wiki doesnt have any information on the Planer Thicknesser. Is it ACNoded, and does anyone know its width capacity by any chance? thanks!

A Channel

Sep 22, 2021, 2:41:53 PM9/22/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If you're talking about the small one next to the chop saw, no

On Wed, 22 Sep 2021, 19:23 Neeam Radia, <neeam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all! Becoming a member soon. The wiki doesnt have any information on the Planer Thicknesser. Is it ACNoded, and does anyone know its width capacity by any chance? thanks!

Aidas Baltušis

Sep 22, 2021, 3:03:59 PM9/22/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The thicknesser is not AC noded. Max width is 300 mm (I think). If you use it, please connect the Clarke extractor to the thicknesser and sweep up afterwards

Colin Fowler

Sep 22, 2021, 3:34:08 PM9/22/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's the exact same model I have, so I can tell you confidently, that it's 317mm.

Neeam Radia

Sep 23, 2021, 2:57:12 PM9/23/21
to London Hackspace
Thanks all. The person who has the the same model (sorry -  cant figure out your name from your email address as it wont let me see your full address!) - could you tell me the model number so I could do some reading up on it before I decide when i'm going to come in and use it? Thanks, Neeam.

Jonathan Hodgson

Sep 23, 2021, 3:26:24 PM9/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's this,

https://www.tritontools.com/en-GB/Product/Bench%20Top/Bench%20Top/TPT125

Bear in mind that it is a thicknesser only, if you need to get the first side flat is usually the job of a planer and ours is not currently operational, though I don't think there can be much left to do on that, it seems to have been "almost there" for a while now.

Neeam Radia

Sep 23, 2021, 4:35:59 PM9/23/21
to London Hackspace
Oh that's not good - my project was entirely based off me being able to use the surface planer. Any idea on how close we actually are to having it operational? I might be able to contribute to this. I don't really know how ill do my project without it  -  good thing I haven't bought the timber yet!

Neeam Radia

Sep 23, 2021, 4:40:11 PM9/23/21
to London Hackspace
Are we missing the knives or something or is it a problem with the motors etc.?

Ant -

Sep 23, 2021, 5:56:49 PM9/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I don't know the model but the make is a Triton and when I searched Triton thicknesser the TPT125 came which certainly lools like it. I'd also say where it lives it's against the wall but if you need to put soemthing through longer than a foot position it somewhere that works for you just remeber to put it back where you found it and clean up any mess it makes. Also don't have it take out to much in a single pass. I tend to get it to just pinch and then take of a half turn at a time. Less strain on the motor and also should give a better finish as it wont get bogged down and have trouble with each cut.

Kind regards
Ant

Colin Fowler

Sep 23, 2021, 9:43:57 PM9/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neeam, it is indeed the Triton TPT125 as others have pointed out. It's not a bad thicknesser, but it does have the usual issues with a little bit of snipe you'll need to contend with on a model of this design. Feed a sacrificial piece in before and after and elevate the tables a bit, support the piece on the infeed and outfeed and it will go a long way towards helping with that.

Cheers,
    Colin

Colin Fowler

Sep 23, 2021, 10:02:26 PM9/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I took a quick look at the surface planer last week ( completely visual, I didn't try to turn it on or operate it in any way ) and from what I can see, it still needs some work. The safety guard is a home made copy of those slide aside "boomerang" guards you see on old models or in the USA. They're illegal here as far as I know and the one fitted to the machine seems to be entirely passive (there's no spring). It really needs a bridge style guard fitted in my opinion.

Apologies to any maintainer who may have put in work or has work planned regarding the above if it seems as if I'm being critical. The above is just what I've been taught regarding safety.

Neeam, depending on what you're trying to achieve, there are several other approaches you can take that don't depend on the surface planer.

If you need to flatten a board:

  You can use hand planes, winding sticks, a straightedge and a pencil.
  You can create a flat sled, support your piece with some shims and pop on some hot glue if necessary and use the thickness planer
  You can create a router sled from a few straight pieces of wood.

If you want to joint an edge, a pattern bit, a straight edge and a router table can be used in a pinch or you could again grab a hand plane, the longer the better (no. 7 ideally)

I've used all of the above methods and with care they'll all work well. Good luck!

Colin

Supreme Games - Gameplays & More!

Sep 24, 2021, 2:20:54 AM9/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Thanks all. Ant - these are all great ideas and I will be using a router sled to flatten an end grain cutting board in the future but sadly I don't think any of these alternatives work for me. I'll either have to buy the more expensive PAR timber or find a surface planet I can use somewhere else.

Neeam.

Ant -

Sep 24, 2021, 2:36:33 AM9/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Always greatfull for a little recognition but I think the truly good ideas in this thread were from Colin so the thanks should go to him.

Kind regards
Ant

Supreme Games - Gameplays & More!

Sep 24, 2021, 2:40:54 AM9/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ah yes - did mean to thanks Colin - still getting a bit confused with who everyone is!

deanforbes

Sep 24, 2021, 3:31:47 AM9/24/21
to London Hackspace
if you have a proper job to do and you want to use proper equipment that is professionally maintained the place to go is Building Bloqs

Aidas Baltušis

Sep 24, 2021, 4:25:47 AM9/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The planer is not in operation yet. It's being worked on

Supreme Games - Gameplays & More!

Sep 24, 2021, 11:49:55 AM9/24/21
to Supreme Games - Gameplays & More!, london-h...@googlegroups.com
Dean - I have looked at BuildingBloqs before but their pricing is a bit steep for me. I do understand the the hackspace is a non profit that is running on low money and thay  machines are likely to not be working at times. My main reason to use the surface planer is for some extra flexibility but I'm sure I can get by with just a jointer. Anything I can do to help get the planer working?