parking

Aidas Baltušis

Jun 23, 2021, 6:51:36 AM6/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Some amazing parking yesterday, managing to take up 3 of our parking spaces with 1 car. PXL_20210622_203921363.jpg

As it happens, the driver came out soon after I took the picture. The conversation I had with the guy:

Me: Do you know these are hackspaces parking spots?
Driver: Hackspace? Yeah I just came from the hackspace (He definitely did not)
Me: Hackspace or boxing?
Driver: Yeah bit of both. Do you think people care about parking?
Me: Yeah, we got 6 spots and the boxers take all of them and we can't park.
Driver: I was speaking to an old man from the hackspace the other day and he told me I can park here
Me: whatever... (I walked back in as I said this)

Because of all the boxers I've known back from school, I got a fear of them so didn't continue the conversation after this and just walked back in..

Paddy Duncan

Jun 23, 2021, 7:04:45 AM6/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

What time was this?

Cheers

Paddy

Aidas Baltušis

Jun 23, 2021, 7:30:47 AM6/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

henry...@ntlworld.com

Jun 23, 2021, 10:19:38 AM6/23/21
to London Hackspace
I've also seen boxing club member's cars parked in the disabled space. Its highly unlikely that the boxing club has disabled members. If the trustees complain to the landlords (who will pass it on to the boxing club), maybe the problem will get solved.

Jonathan Hodgson

Jun 23, 2021, 10:45:21 AM6/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

"Me: Hackspace or boxing?

Driver: Yeah bit of both."

How does that work? "Punch, punch, drill?"

Paddy Duncan

Jun 23, 2021, 11:11:39 AM6/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

Our landlords are aware of the issue and sent a suitable reminder to all Ujima House tenants just a few weeks ago, but it seems to fall on deaf ears as far as some of our fellow tenants are concerned. It is also compounded by the ‘one of your people told us it was fine’ comment, which I have now already heard, 2nd hand, several times this month. For the avoidance of doubt, no individual has the authority to say so.

There have also been threats levelled against some of our members when challenged, some thinly veiled, some not at all, plus the ‘I’m a member anyway’ comments. Notably one of the ‘members’ recently ‘proved’ it by opening the back gate but the card used proved to be one of several registered to someone else entirely (all cards since disabled).

Obviously we (the Hackspace Trustees) do not advise getting into arguments with other tenants or their clients and you must use your own judgement as to whether you are comfortable to challenge anyone. We would however be interest to hear any useful information you may have… trus...@london.hackspace.org.uk

Cheers Paddy

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 at 15:19, 'henry...@ntlworld.com' via London Hackspace <london-h...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I've also seen boxing club member's cars parked in the disabled space. Its highly unlikely that the boxing club has disabled members. If the trustees complain to the landlords (who will pass it on to the boxing club), maybe the problem will get solved.

On Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 12:30:47 PM UTC+1 aidasb...@gmail.com wrote:

21:40

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021, 12:04 Paddy Duncan, <pad...@padski.co.uk> wrote:

What time was this?

Cheers

Paddy

Andre Amorim

Jun 23, 2021, 3:11:21 PM6/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Interesting case,

I was here wondering with my light bulbs (neurons)..
what are the car parking rules in a private land scenario?
then I just find out on the web

TL/DR, Well that document is just a written common sense ...

ps-> I would take a photo of the car registration number (number plate) too 😉

-AA--

henry...@ntlworld.com

Jun 23, 2021, 3:23:06 PM6/23/21
to London Hackspace
Perhaps a second complaint to the landlords with the comment to the effect of:- Why should we be paying rent for a facility we cannot use?
That might persuade them to issue a warning to their tenants to not break the tenancy agreement. The threat of losing their premises should get the offenders to think again.

Adrian Godwin

Jun 23, 2021, 3:46:40 PM6/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
My impression is that the boxing club never caused any problems when we had 2 floors. It's got much worse since we cut down to 1 floor. This might be because we have less spaces, but my impression is that there are more cars. I tend to blame the new occupants of the 1st floor rather than the boxers.

Andre Amorim

Jun 23, 2021, 4:24:57 PM6/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Complex calculations now..

Thinking about drive/parking vehicles I was wondering why Her Masjest does not need a drive licence? Because
you don't need a licence to drive in private land.

I guess England is not a secular state. Correct me if I am wrong.

.AA..

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Jun 23, 2021, 4:42:10 PM6/23/21
to London Hackspace
HM needs no driving licence because she is the one (ultimately) who issues them.
For the same reason her personal vehicles have no number plates.

Phil

Ioannes 8:32

Jun 23, 2021, 4:49:06 PM6/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ha, that reminds me that in Italy we have alternative conflict resolution strategies for such situations..😂

Andre Amorim

Jun 23, 2021, 4:55:09 PM6/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
😁

That also reminds me ..

TANK at mcdonald's drive thru

😂

deanforbes

Jun 23, 2021, 6:49:38 PM6/23/21
to London Hackspace
There have been parking issues from the beginning of our tenancy this has been experienced by many members including myself

I could elaborate extensively but most who use the car park know what this is like

henry...@ntlworld.com

Jun 23, 2021, 7:56:00 PM6/23/21
to London Hackspace
Legally the England isn't a secular state, practically it almost is.
Less than 3% of the population regularly attend the state church, the CoE, and more than 50% of the population describe their religion as 'none'.

Deburred -_-

Jun 24, 2021, 4:49:25 AM6/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll take hacking over parking as a new religion

Adrian Godwin

Jun 24, 2021, 7:11:55 AM6/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Maybe Sink Cam needs to return as a parking attendant

Michael Cullen

Jun 24, 2021, 8:42:33 AM6/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Oh they did.

They like our spaces because they’re closer to the gate. The irony of avoiding a bit of a walk on your way to exercise is not lost on me…

The only problem I’ve seen with the first floor in this regard is that they have a large number of people turning up at particular times so likely max out their allocation several times over. The reason it’s more of a problem now is that we have fewer spaces, and the ones we had from the first floor were slightly less popular with boxers because they’re a little further from the gate

henry...@ntlworld.com

Jun 24, 2021, 9:00:48 AM6/24/21
to London Hackspace
It doesn't help that the barrier is now permanently up.

Jonathan Hodgson

Jun 24, 2021, 9:08:51 AM6/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that creates an additional problem of random people taking up spaces while they go shopping or to watch the match or whatever. Why is the barrier up?

What I find particularly irritating is that it's not even like people are only taking our spaces when they are the only ones left. Someone not from the space left their car in one of our spaces overnight last night (well it was 3am when I left and the building seemed pretty dark).

Jonathan Hodgson

Jun 24, 2021, 9:18:15 AM6/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
regarding the "next project signs" I'm thinking the easiest way is probably to pick up a length of this https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Sawn-Kiln-Dried-Timber---22mm-x-47mm-x-2-4m/p/9000036491

cut it into lengths, run a saw slot up the middle and we have bases (maybe do a roundover or bevel on the edges with a router).

Jonathan Hodgson

Jun 24, 2021, 9:33:02 AM6/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
OOPS!! Replied to wrong email. That's to do with the new project shelving!

Adrian Godwin

Jun 24, 2021, 9:38:52 AM6/24/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've often found them parked in the back 3 of our spaces (the ones furthest from the building) with no cars in front of them. Presumably they don't want to be blocked in, but they end up using up two spaces.

stephen o'brien

Jun 24, 2021, 5:44:12 PM6/24/21
to london-hack-space
Could we get some of those really,really hard to get off stickers for their windscreens, you know the @you've parked in an unauthourised space things?

Adam Camp

Jun 25, 2021, 9:05:56 AM6/25/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I believe the acronym commonly used is "YPLAC" - unfortunately the website to upload such photos to is now defunct :-(

Matt Rutter

Jun 25, 2021, 9:10:02 AM6/25/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Adam Camp

Jun 25, 2021, 9:18:27 AM6/25/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You, Sir, have just made my day!

Adrian Godwin

Jun 25, 2021, 3:49:33 PM6/25/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
IMG_20210625_173303618.jpg
IMG_20210625_173330115.jpg
Message has been deleted

Joe England

Jun 25, 2021, 5:25:46 PM6/25/21
to London Hackspace
I don't drive to the space so I don't know but would it not be possible to ask the landlord if we can put up some bollards with a chain between them, around our spaces? Seems to work elsewhere.
Message has been deleted

henry...@ntlworld.com

Jun 26, 2021, 10:43:39 AM6/26/21
to London Hackspace
A large sign saying "Any unauthorised cars parked in these spaces may be clamped." would work better.
I'm not saying that we should carry out that threat. Just making the threat should be enough of a deterrent.

Ant -

Jun 26, 2021, 5:39:48 PM6/26/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Threats of damage are a big no no. Best case they just ignore it, worse case they take it to the landlord and they serve an eviction notice. Even worse case they take it to the police as threats of damage are still illegal even if you say you didn't mean it, the law would argue if you didn't mean it you shouldn't have made the statement and if you put that on a sign it's pretty easy to prove.

Clamping is slightly better but no longer legal on private land so still could lead to the above although the outcomes of them are more likely to be warnings of the actions rather than the actions.

You can put up signs that indicate a fine will be issued to unauthorised parkers, even if you outsource it the whole thing becomes a nightmare to manage though. You need members registrations on record so you don't ticket someone in error as if you use a 3rd party to handle the legal bit you have to pay a fee to cancel a ticket if you issued it in error. It's also technically not a fine but contract law where you state that by parking their they agree to the contract so you potentially go through the courts to collect it and unless that's your business model to do this sort of thing it's not very cost effective.

If you have a motion camera set up to record ideally with audio your better off approaching them and telling them they can't park there in a non threatening way while recording it then when they get hot headed, even if they say they didn't mean it you all the stuff the first suggested sign put you at risk of they are now at risk of.

deanforbes

Jun 26, 2021, 5:44:44 PM6/26/21
to London Hackspace
My understanding is that clamping and stickering are legal - though often not advised due to accusations of damage (which is not legal and for which you can face at least a civil claim)  - which is why the councils take so many images when they remove a vehicle

From the hackspaces perspective whilst I would love to removed the offending vehicles I am not sure I would want members putting them selves at risk or escalating an all ready fraught situation

henry...@ntlworld.com

Jun 26, 2021, 9:09:47 PM6/26/21
to London Hackspace
The act of clamping is illegal, but is a notice with an implied threat of clamping illegal, if no clamping is carried out?

Simon Allcorn

Jun 27, 2021, 3:43:09 AM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Which car parking spaces are ours ? Couldn’t see anything on the wiki.

Simon

Sent from my dog and bone

Paddy Duncan

Jun 27, 2021, 3:55:02 AM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The 6 nearest the cage

Simon Allcorn

Jun 27, 2021, 4:01:00 AM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Why can’t we just install some removable bollards ? Or would the landlord object ?

Sent from my dog and bone

Ant -

Jun 27, 2021, 4:26:26 AM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
There could be an objection, other aspects are:

what will that cost?

How effective will it be?

How will you move them to park/leave?

I looked into a ground anchor for my bike it about about £60 before installation, they park across 3 spaces so you need to bollard the front and sides of the bays so that cost is going to add up quickly.

If you make it a combination lock then it's likely just a few weeks or a month before one of them somehow gets the combination. If you make it a key then rather than distribute keys to all who drive you could keep the keys in the building so people go in to get them but that only works if we know there arent compromised cards still. Also makes it massive ball ache so how often is this happening?

KP P

Jun 27, 2021, 5:29:30 AM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
"Which car parking spaces are ours ? Couldn’t see anything on the wiki."

Could we try marking our spaces very clearly ? if you're a new member in one of the other clubs in the building you may not be aware what the allocation situation is. It might not solve the problem 100% but it may help people parking there by mistake

cheers

Deburred -_-

Jun 27, 2021, 6:04:51 AM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Laser cut spray template, can of lane marking paint?
Just a suggestion.

Adrian Godwin

Jun 27, 2021, 6:50:30 AM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Are the boxing club management helpful ?
If they are, then identifying the culprits (especially if they're consistent) would be helpful. We might even be able to threaten to ban them from the car park.

deanforbes

Jun 27, 2021, 7:17:34 AM6/27/21
to London Hackspace
@artag - No

Ant -

Jun 27, 2021, 7:22:22 AM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
There are hackspace logos on the wall ahead of the spaces currently. But spraying the actual spaces with the logo would be clearer especially as they are stacked one infront the other.

deanforbes

Jun 27, 2021, 7:26:04 AM6/27/21
to London Hackspace
Yerp its worth doing

Do we have any volunteers

Adrian Godwin

Jun 27, 2021, 10:45:33 AM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Could we add a notice on the wall stating
"These 6 places are for use by hackspace members. If they are occupied by other users of the building, you may use spaces elsewhere in the car park"

(any objections that a car is unknown can quickly be answered by issuing hackspace logo badges)

Ant -

Jun 27, 2021, 11:30:32 AM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hate to seem like I'm just shouting down ideas but I don't think that would be legally backed. It's a bit like if you saw a kid on your street pick some flowers from your front garden so you went and dug up a flower from their parents garden to replace it.

In terms of signs for the window It's likely they could just make one themselves then and suddenly you don't know what is whos.

If you do know its not from Hackspace, how do you know what unit they do belong to so you know what spaces to take? Or if infact they are even from any space at all and not just someone who had been cruising for a parking space, spied the open barrier and decided to chance it because it was 10 mins to kick off.

Adrian Godwin

Jun 27, 2021, 12:34:08 PM6/27/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't matter which spaces you take. It's taking advantage of the landlord's lack of desire to enforce specific spaces.
I doubt that legal issues are relevant : we're legally allowed 6, so if someone else is using them then they'd have to admit their misuse.
Stickers could change colour every time there is suspected misuse.
The flower analogy seems apt and entirely reasonable. The difference is that you know whose kid it is.

c.ra...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2021, 2:01:30 PM6/28/21
to London Hackspace
If anyone has some traffic cones, perhaps the spaces could be reserved using them (maybe spray paint the cones in hackspace colours), or cones with chains between them. If you park in a space, carry the cone inside the hackspace and put back when you're done. Still could be stolen or moved but might stop some casual misuse. Also might disadvantage the differently-abled.

Aidas Baltušis

Jul 10, 2021, 7:48:30 AM7/10/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've picked up some lane marking spray paint and will paint the Hackspace logo onto the spaces later today

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021, 19:01 c.ra...@gmail.com, <c.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
If anyone has some traffic cones, perhaps the spaces could be reserved using them (maybe spray paint the cones in hackspace colours), or cones with chains between them. If you park in a space, carry the cone inside the hackspace and put back when you're done. Still could be stolen or moved but might stop some casual misuse. Also might disadvantage the differently-abled.

Paddy Duncan

Jul 10, 2021, 9:59:11 AM7/10/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Fantastic thanks Aidas.

Jul 10, 2021, 2:36:40 PM7/10/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Seems like it didn't help much

PXL_20210710_183544714.jpg

Aidas Baltušis

Sep 14, 2021, 6:37:23 PM9/14/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
PXL_20210914_180727791.jpgPXL_20210914_204510370.jpg

Got blocked in yet again (picutres taken a few hours apart by the way). Went to 1st and top floor looking for who's car was it and couldn't find anyone. But miraculously as I went back downstairs the Toyota driver was next to the car, getting ready to leave (he was from 1st floor).

Matthew

Sep 14, 2021, 6:49:29 PM9/14/21
to London Hackspace
Blocking someone in is unacceptable, but I'd suggest not parking in a posistion that makes it possible - you could always park in the outter bay and leave your mobile number in the window so another Hackspace member can give you a call and ask you to move it forward for them.

Cheers

Henry Best

Sep 14, 2021, 8:57:41 PM9/14/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Is there anything we can do to stop non-members from using our parking spaces? When I arrived this evening there was only one other member in the Hackspace and all of our parking spaces were either occupied or blocked. Have the landlords been told about this? If so, what are they doing about it? Maybe we should withhold part of our rent, as we are unable to fully use what we are paying for, until they sort it out. It would also help if they got the entrance barrier fixed.

Henry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Blocking someone in is unacceptable, but I'd suggest not parking in a posistion that makes it possible - you could always park in the outter bay and leave your mobile number in the window so another Hackspace member can give you a call and ask you to move it forward for them.

Cheers

Ant -

Sep 15, 2021, 1:54:45 AM9/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
In his second reply in this thread Paddy says the landlords are aware and send reminders on it to all tenants at the start of June that fell of deaf ears. As for what we can do legally you can stop entry to the space but not exit so potentially could ask permission to install those bollards you can raise and lower but given how the guy parked in the 1st post in this thread unless you put a LOT of them in I think they would just park round them and we would still have to deal with the inconvenience of raising and lowering them. If there was a key to do that it could be kept in the cage but thats a lot of cost and effort. If someone does block you in that isn't a member in the space then you could report it to the cops but my experience is varied in terms of what response you will get from them from where people have blocked me in at home.

Kind regards
Ant

henry...@ntlworld.com

Sep 15, 2021, 8:42:48 AM9/15/21
to London Hackspace
The car park is private land, so I doubt that the police would get involved. I like the idea of sunken, raiseable bollards, but agree that the cost of installation would be prohibitive, even if the landlords were to agree to them. Even before installation, a survey would have to be done to ensure that there were no 'services' underneath where the post were to go. The problem of having to use a key could be overcome by using a modified door bot to allow them to be lowered. Touch your card and press the number of the bollard that you want lowered, a solenoid in the base pulls the locking pin which allows the bollard to fall by gravity.
We could try bigger and better signage to deter parking in our spaces, although I think that it still would be ignored by some.
Another approach would be some sort of temporary barrier, like one layer of pallets (with a big label "Property of London Hackspace" on each of them) covering our spaces. Not too difficult to move, but sufficiently annoying to deter random parking in our area. Members would need to remember to replace them when they left. Or we could make 6 large 'A' boards (1Mtr x 1Mtr) with the sign "This space reserved for Hackspace members ONLY" in large type. Again, only a deterrent, not a complete solution.

henry...@ntlworld.com

Sep 15, 2021, 8:54:44 AM9/15/21
to London Hackspace
Sorry, I just realised that you were talking about the simple bollards that are raised and lowered on a hinge. Not so expensive to install, but will still need a key.

Ant -

Sep 15, 2021, 1:18:32 PM9/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Indeed the manual raise and lower on a hinge kind was what I meant and singularly they aren't to expensive but if you need to get many of them (these people aren't apposed to parking long ways across 3 spaces remember so leave them a gap big enough and they will park in it) then it can soon add up and those are funds that could likely be better spent inside the space. In terms of keys that is easy you just put a key box in the cage.

Kind regards
Any

Adrian Godwin

Sep 15, 2021, 2:23:19 PM9/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Pallets might be worth a try. It's not that there aren't other spaces, it's that they're so incredibly lazy that they park as close as possible to the gate before going to do their exercise. Having to get out of the car and move a pallet would probably be toio much for them.

Ant -

Sep 15, 2021, 6:03:31 PM9/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The problem may be we then need to move off, get out the car and move them back as we leave but we can but try I agree if they are there the exercise crew will be to worried about wearing themselves out before their workout that they will park somewhere else but you might get people from the businesses that will be bothered to move it so they can borrow a space while they work that then won't put it back.

Don't know till you try though!

henry...@ntlworld.com

Sep 15, 2021, 8:26:37 PM9/15/21
to London Hackspace
Clearly marking the pallets in big red letters
Property of London Hackspace
may also help to deter their movement by 'outsiders'.

Daniel Edgecumbe

Sep 15, 2021, 8:32:14 PM9/15/21
to 'Nigel Worsley' via London Hackspace
how much dollar would we need to just tow them out?

Daniel Edgecumbe | esotericnonsense
d...@esotericnonsense.com | https://esotericnonsense.com

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021, at 01:26, 'henry...@ntlworld.com' via London Hackspace wrote:
> Clearly marking the pallets in big red letters
> *_Property of London Hackspace_*
> may also help to deter their movement by 'outsiders'.
>
> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 11:03:31 PM UTC+1 hubing...@gmail.com wrote:
> > The problem may be we then need to move off, get out the car and move them back as we leave but we can but try I agree if they are there the exercise crew will be to worried about wearing themselves out before their workout that they will park somewhere else but you might get people from the businesses that will be bothered to move it so they can borrow a space while they work that then won't put it back.
> >
> > Don't know till you try though!
> >
> > On Wed, 15 Sep 2021, 19:23 Adrian Godwin, <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Pallets might be worth a try. It's not that there aren't other spaces, it's that they're so incredibly lazy that they park as close as possible to the gate before going to do their exercise. Having to get out of the car and move a pallet would probably be toio much for them.

Ant -

Sep 16, 2021, 1:56:27 AM9/16/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If you tow people then if they are damaged at all the liability for damage is on you the person who requested they be towed not the company you requested do the towing. Plus not cheap. Wouldn't recommend it. I'd certainly try the pallets first.

James Mastros

Sep 16, 2021, 4:17:32 AM9/16/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
While it wouldn't necessarily translate directly into removing people, it may be useful to set up some cameras that watch the car park, so you can start at least tracking the problem.  Bonus points if the cameras can go into some image processing for motion within the space's spaces, and do automatic number place recognition.  That could be coupled with a device inside the space where you could type in your reg no to say that it was you, though I expect correlation between time of parking and time of opening the door would be sufficient in most cases.

As far as enforcement goes, might it be more useful to put up signs with a very expensive rate, or free with space membership?  That at least gives an alternative to towing at the moment as an enforcement technique - you can set a collection agency on them at any later point.

   -- James Mastros

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021, 11:51 Aidas Baltušis, <aidasb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Some amazing parking yesterday, managing to take up 3 of our parking spaces with 1 car. PXL_20210622_203921363.jpg

As it happens, the driver came out soon after I took the picture. The conversation I had with the guy:

Me: Do you know these are hackspaces parking spots?
Driver: Hackspace? Yeah I just came from the hackspace (He definitely did not)
Me: Hackspace or boxing?
Driver: Yeah bit of both. Do you think people care about parking?
Me: Yeah, we got 6 spots and the boxers take all of them and we can't park.
Driver: I was speaking to an old man from the hackspace the other day and he told me I can park here
Me: whatever... (I walked back in as I said this)

Because of all the boxers I've known back from school, I got a fear of them so didn't continue the conversation after this and just walked back in..

henry...@ntlworld.com

Sep 16, 2021, 6:41:53 AM9/16/21
to London Hackspace
I understand that towing, without giving sufficient warning (signs) may be illegal. Also, as we are not the OWNERS of the land, only the renters, towing companies would probably not accept our requests for towing.

Nigel Worsley

Sep 16, 2021, 8:08:00 AM9/16/21
to london-hack-space
On Thu, 16 Sept 2021 at 11:41, 'henry...@ntlworld.com' via London
Hackspace <london-h...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> I understand that towing, without giving sufficient warning (signs) may be illegal.

Towing or clamping on private land is ALWAYS illegal, regardless of any signs.

Nigle

deanforbes

Sep 16, 2021, 5:50:31 PM9/16/21
to London Hackspace
We are in conversation with the landlord at the moment and to this end held meetings with them today

We have be pragmatic, building walls, piles of pallets etc is not going to help

However if you have issues or notice our bays are being abused you should report it formally to the trustees in a coherent manner with what ever documentation you have, if you do this and only if you this will we able to lobby the landlords to assist

Ant -

Sep 16, 2021, 6:09:11 PM9/16/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Could we fit a webcam in the kitchen or cage that looks over the bays to help with evidence and documentation.

Also if they got the barrier working again does it log code entry? If so then if we see vehicle A park up at 21:03 and at 21:02 the code for unit B and no one else for 5 mins either side was used to enter then its pretty safe to say someone attached to unit B parked there.

henry...@ntlworld.com

Sep 16, 2021, 9:42:32 PM9/16/21
to London Hackspace
AFAIK, the barrier (when its working) only accepts one code, the same one for everybody, so how do we tell if the car belongs to someone from another unit from that? If there were different codes for each floor, that would reduce the odds against guessing the number correctly by a factor of 5.

Another idea to stop unwanted parking that happened to me when I parked on some private property, outside a building that I thought would be empty at that time. There was a PIR sensor which, after about a 30 seconds delay, set off both an alarm loud enough to wake the dead and a bright flashing spotlight. Scared the *&!£* out of me and I rapidly moved my car elsewhere! I assume the delay was to allow an authorised user to cancel it in some way, probably by long range RFID.

deanforbes

Sep 21, 2021, 2:15:37 AM9/21/21
to London Hackspace
If you are inconvenienced by the parking challenges the email address to ping is trus...@london.hackspace.org.uk

we had the fire exit blocked once again last night

Eitan Carmona

Sep 21, 2021, 2:45:28 AM9/21/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
In my humble opinion I think once the barrier gets fixed it will stop random people who park there because-they-can and leave their cars overnight, or to go shopping, or whatever else. It's a free for all right now just because its an open, free car parking facility which is usually reserved for private use and accessible only to those with an entry code.

Eitan

Simon Allcorn

Sep 23, 2021, 2:31:58 PM9/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I’ve just had a mildly evil idea (think bofh from the register) that should annoy any unknown parkers on the hackspace parking spots. I think it should be legal but I am not a lawyer so take what I say with a pinch of salt !

My idea is we have bollards around the 2 sides of the spaces that are permenantly up forming a U with the cage wall. the last edge of the parking spaces will also have bollards but these will normally be down so a car can just drive in and park with no hastle. If a non hackspace car is parked in the spaces the we can put up some of the bollards such that the car can still leave but it will be a real pain in the bum to exit since the gap will be only slightly wider than the offending car. So for a Fiat 500 we might need to raise 3 bollards but for a big Lexus it might only need to be 1.

These are the simple bollards that lay flat on the ground and can be lowered with a key kept in the hackspace.

Simon

Sent from my dog and bone

c.ra...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2021, 8:39:01 AM9/28/21
to London Hackspace
I am coming to the conclusion that the best way to proceed is to get the landowner's permission to put up parking T+C signs by our (clearly marked) spaces, then issue Parking Charge Notices to offending vehicles.

You can even use a commercial self-ticketing parking enforcement products e.g. https://www.uk-carparkmanagement.co.uk/services/parking-enforcement/self-ticketing
DIY may need a bit of research into the law around POFA Act 2021 and keeper liability.

The threat of a few yellow tickets stuck to people's windscreens may deter others, even if the original offenders are reluctant to pay the charge.

Adrian Godwin

Sep 28, 2021, 9:15:31 AM9/28/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
LIDL has some swing-down posts at the moment for £15 each

Ant -

Sep 28, 2021, 9:20:16 AM9/28/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

henry...@ntlworld.com

Sep 28, 2021, 11:41:50 AM9/28/21
to London Hackspace
I agree that we need much clearer signage, but only accredited parking agencies can legally issue Parking Charge Notices. Neither the Hackspace nor the landlords are an accredited agency. Using an accredited agency will probably be at a cost (the agency gets money from both the landowner and parking charges!!) that the space cannot afford.

My solution is:-
1) Ask the landlord* to have the barrier repaired urgently.

2) Ask the landlord* to erect a clear sign at the entrance:-
a) Requesting that people park only in the bays rented by and reserved for their organisation and
b) Warning that parking anywhere else is a breach of their organisation's tenancy agreement, which may result in the lease being terminated.

3) Set up a dedicated site to where we can upload pictures of non-members' cars parked in our spaces, for evidence to the landlord.

4) Large, clear, official looking signs on the wall by our spaces "These bays are reserved for Hackspace members at all times." (Bold black type on a yellow fluorescent background).

5) An obvious camera on the wall, covering our spaces. A dummy camera might be as effective as an operational one.

6) Clear yellow or white road markings on our spaces. The current blue ones don't show up, especially at night, and don't clearly convey their meaning to non-members. "LHS" would be better. Also black out the "NURSERY" markings.

* We have some leverage here, as we are paying rent for parking spaces that we cannot (through no fault of our own) fully and exclusively use, as set out in the tenancy agreement.

Not perfect, but it may dissuade others from parking in our spaces.

Adrian Godwin

Sep 28, 2021, 1:10:11 PM9/28/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I rather like going to nursery :(

Henry Best

Sep 28, 2021, 6:06:16 PM9/28/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

There’s a name for adults who like going to nurseries...

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sep 28, 2021, 7:57:11 PM9/28/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
there's more than one