Philips UV Facial Tanner

Matthew

Sep 20, 2021, 4:46:05 AM9/20/21
to London Hackspace

Hello.

I found a Philips UV Facial Tanner in the Hackspace at the weekend. Judging by the thick layer of dust its been there for a while. I've been doing some retrobrighting recently so a decent UV source is relevant to my interests.

Does anyone know the back story? It looks like a member called Heather / Akki14 may have been using something similar in 2011. I'm mostly asking because I'd like to override the timer (naughty) and possibly rig up some kind of stand for it.

Cheers
Matthew

Ant -

Sep 20, 2021, 5:09:25 AM9/20/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If an answer to your asked question isn't readily forthcoming then perhaps as a work around you could form a micro singularity. By shaping the resulting time dilation field you could cause power for the timing circuit to pass less quickly than the rest of space time effectively extending its duration to years. Then you could harness the resulting Hawking radiation to generate electricity to power the lamp itself. Win win.

Alternatively it is possible I should have slept last night rather than binge watch Star Trek re-runs...

Kind regards
Ant

henry...@ntlworld.com

Sep 20, 2021, 8:20:43 AM9/20/21
to London Hackspace
UV is used for curing 3D printed resin items, so it could be the property of someone with a resin 3D printer. I know that Richard Painting has such a printer, but don't know if the UV source is his. Where did you find it? If it was in the modelers workshop, then its most probably his.

Matthew H

Sep 20, 2021, 8:26:31 AM9/20/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It was in the metal workshop.

deanforbes

Sep 20, 2021, 8:45:07 AM9/20/21
to London Hackspace
I expect due to the name on it who was once a well know member before resin printer were common that there is no connection she also has been for many many years

My comment would be free to hack as you please

Henry Best

Sep 20, 2021, 10:00:49 AM9/20/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Then it’s unlikely to be Richard’s.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Adrian Godwin

Sep 20, 2021, 11:18:00 AM9/20/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've asked Heather - it was used for UV printing such as cyanotype. But unless anyone is interested in that or other photographic stuff, it's of no particular use.

Dax Liniere

Sep 20, 2021, 6:31:51 PM9/20/21
to London Hackspace
Hey Matthew, I just learned what "retrobrighting" is. Very cool! I didn't know it was possible.
Have you seen this? Might be of interest: https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=19220

Matthew

Sep 21, 2021, 4:07:17 AM9/21/21
to London Hackspace
Artag - Thanks

Dax - Yeah it's cool, although not a magic wand. You can over do it and bleach something whiter than it was originally, getting it even can be a pain, and the plastics can (apparently) return back to the yellow colour after a couple of years.

I've tried with heat only at about 55C (The "warm" setting on my slow cooker...) and can confirm it works. It seemed to take longer than leaving it out in the sun, but I was re-using old solution so it wasn't much of a fair test. I didn't much like using the Sun, even though it was a clear sunny day the intensity, angle, and direction of the sun varied so I had to constantly rotate and adjust things.

I plan on cutting up some yellowed plastic and testing the various methods to find the best method, I'll let you know how I get on.

Bonus Content, this was ~6% Hydrogen Peroxide, a dash of Vanish for whites, and several hours in bright sunshine:

20210907_161623(1).jpg
20210909_141554(1).jpg