Palm Router

deanforbes

Aug 14, 2021, 10:12:15 AM8/14/21
to London Hackspace
There are a number of members that have talked about a plam router and a fewpeople now have ones that they carry in and out, in my mind it makes sense to get one to live in the space

If we were to get one to live inn the space how many of us would be interested in pledging

The Makita is a good brand and they go for between 100 and 120 pounds - I would start it off by committing to chipping in 10 quid to a pledge

Ant -

Aug 14, 2021, 10:25:08 AM8/14/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is a palm router the same as a hand router as there is a wickes one in a box on the shelves before the wood shop.

deanforbes

Aug 14, 2021, 10:29:25 AM8/14/21
to London Hackspace
unless it was brought in over night there is not a palm router in the space

its used for smaller delicate routing and is a different tool to the larger ones which optically may look similar

Aidas Baltušis

Aug 14, 2021, 10:45:11 AM8/14/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ant, the Wickes router you're referring to is a plunge router for use with larger pieces.

This is Makita palm router on amazon would do the job well I think.

I would chip in a tenner as well

KP P

Aug 14, 2021, 10:49:52 AM8/14/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd be happy to pledge a tenner toward this too.

Cheers

Damian Winnichenko

Aug 15, 2021, 12:06:30 PM8/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested and be able to pledge £10-15
How to do that?
Cheers!

Paddy Duncan

Aug 15, 2021, 12:22:36 PM8/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, pad...@padski.co.uk

What should happen is that the instigator creates a wiki page, like in the Pledge guidance https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Guides/Running_a_pledge … but I’ve done it now.

https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Pledge:_Palm_Router

It needs more editing though with specific details, go for it

Paddy

Damian Winnichenko

Aug 15, 2021, 6:30:10 PM8/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

deanforbes

Aug 16, 2021, 6:46:17 AM8/16/21
to London Hackspace
almost half way there

John Jordan

Aug 16, 2021, 12:10:07 PM8/16/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would look at the katsu it is so close to the Makita. I have the cabled one bit the battery one would probably suite the wood shop.

Aidas Baltušis

Aug 18, 2021, 7:57:50 AM8/18/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Corded one would probably end up lasting longer. The batteries just end up getting knackered. I had a look at the Katsu and the £30 price seems unbelievably cheap... I've looked at Katsu router reviews and I'm not sure... I would say if we are getting one then let's go for one which we know will work well and last a long time

deanforbes

Aug 21, 2021, 9:30:42 AM8/21/21
to London Hackspace
a race to the half way mark and then a stall  any one else interested in chipping in for a palm router

deanforbes

Aug 22, 2021, 4:57:38 AM8/22/21
to London Hackspace
Another tenner - thanks Usman

40 to go :-)

Colin Fowler

Aug 23, 2021, 7:46:46 PM8/23/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for £15. I've never used the woodworking area before, but I'd like to sometime in the future.

Colin

Aidas Baltušis

Sep 4, 2021, 6:40:51 AM9/4/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Aidas Baltušis

Sep 11, 2021, 1:11:44 PM9/11/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Well, a little update on this - another member has donated a small palm router which is now located on the shelves next to the woodshop.

We could pledge to get some router bits instead or perhaps save the money for some other things

Jonathan Hodgson

Sep 11, 2021, 1:28:07 PM9/11/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Although I'm set for router cutters personally, I think the space could probably do with some, the set that is currently in the space isn't good for routing anything much tougher than chocolate on a warm day.

The question is which ones to get and how much to spend on them, because prices vary massively. I don't have any really cheap bits, nor do I have any super-expensive ones, but even so my most expensive cutter cost almost as much as my 50 piece Trend set.

Colin Fowler

Sep 12, 2021, 2:57:41 PM9/12/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The Trend 50 piece set you have might be a good choice. A decent selection of ogee/roundover, various dovetail angles, chamfers, some straight pattern bits etc. Like you, my most expensive bit costs around the same as a full kit of these, but we're talking a general purpose 1/4" shank kit for light work on a palm router, not a good set of Whiteside or similar 1/2" shank bits for a 2KW table router. I suppose people will probably end up using them in the larger router with an adaptor collet though. Never personally had an issue with Trend. My  router's a Trend 11EK in a Trend table, but obviously we're talking less than £2 a bit here so we can't expect pro quality.

A diamond credit card type sharpener could be put to good use on the flat side of any existing bits. They're fairly cheap if there's not one knocking around the space.

Anyway, I'm cool with the money being spent on bits if the router that's been donated is deemed good enough. Dean, you're leading the charge on this, what are your thoughts?

Jonathan Hodgson

Sep 12, 2021, 3:21:22 PM9/12/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We already have a diamond credit card style sharpener, it lives (along with a round/flat diamond file, honing fluid and a cleaning rubber) on a shelf by the wood lathe.

Just return it after using it.

deanforbes

Sep 14, 2021, 11:30:00 AM9/14/21
to London Hackspace
I think get router bits is a sensible thing to do - any one object ?

If we get router bits I think it would be nice to something similar to what we have done for the drill bits

michael....@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2021, 4:46:06 AM9/15/21
to London Hackspace
Do we have enough pledged to buy the set of router bits we want? happy to pledge a tenner if it helps get us there
michael

Aidas Baltušis

Sep 15, 2021, 5:36:27 AM9/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
50 piece Trend router bit set comes in at £92.85

Jonathan, since I think this is the set you have, what do you think of their quality? I've been buying green Trend router bits individually and they tend to be £10-20 each so I do wonder how reliable this set would be

The pledge currently sits at £80 so if Michael was to chip in £12.85 we would be all set. What do you guys think?

Just a note though - some of the bigger bits in this set should probably only be used with the plunge router (Wickes one that sits on the shelves). Don't think palm router would have enough power and gripping force for these

Jonathan Hodgson

Sep 15, 2021, 6:55:23 AM9/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I haven't used them much, but the cuts I have made have gone well, they certainly cut well, how long they will last remains to be seen, but I always intended it to be for occasional jobs. 'Important' cutters (so far mostly ones for my planned guitar builds) I buy individually, the set is to cover ad hoc usage. If any of them see enough use to go blunt, well I only spent a couple of quid on that cutter, I'll buy something higher end to replace it because it will probably see more use. If any of them never get used, well once again I only spent a couple of quid each on those ones. So from my point of view, I just want those cutters to do a good job for a few projects.

Trend stuff is usually decent quality, and so far it looks like this set will do what I ask of it.

They do a smaller set https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Trend-Set-Ss31X1-4Tc-5027654056394-30Pc-1-4In-Router-Cutter-Set-In-Aluminium-Case?gclid=Cj0KCQjws4aKBhDPARIsAIWH0JXwCFKyf7R9SviTAZC9-7TflKip5cFW9pzCYU0AH0dAmwPeMoj9BhYaAtChEALw_wcB#FPD

The set I have does not include any top bearing cutters, which I think the space should have. We have a laser cutter that is ideal for making templates, so it makes sense to have cutters for template use.

Michael Schiesari

Sep 15, 2021, 8:40:27 AM9/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for volunteering me for an extra 28.5% Aidas ;)
Sure thing I’ll pledge 12.85£
Michael
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to london-hack-space+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

henry...@ntlworld.com

Sep 15, 2021, 9:02:11 AM9/15/21
to London Hackspace
Yes, I thought it was a bit cheeky of him to suggest a pledge amount from you.

Michael Schiesari

Sep 15, 2021, 9:53:10 AM9/15/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ah no don’t get me wrong Henry I took no issue with that and I do understand the logic (pledge was open for a while and had stalled, it’s faster for me to pledge an extra 3 quid than to wait for another pledge or go back and ask someone else to up their pledge).
Happy to contribute, I’ll definitely get some use out of those bits.
Michael
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to london-hack-space+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Simon Hewison

Sep 17, 2021, 8:59:12 AM9/17/21
to London Hackspace
Pledged, target met and paid.

Michael Schiesari

Sep 17, 2021, 11:17:59 AM9/17/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Paid

Colin Fowler

Sep 17, 2021, 11:27:32 AM9/17/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Paid :)

On Fri, 17 Sept 2021 at 16:17, Michael Schiesari <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:
Paid

On Friday, September 17, 2021, Simon Hewison <simon....@zymurgy.org> wrote:
Pledged, target met and paid.

On Saturday, 14 August 2021 at 15:12:15 UTC+1 deanforbes wrote:
There are a number of members that have talked about a plam router and a fewpeople now have ones that they carry in and out, in my mind it makes sense to get one to live in the space

If we were to get one to live inn the space how many of us would be interested in pledging

The Makita is a good brand and they go for between 100 and 120 pounds - I would start it off by committing to chipping in 10 quid to a pledge

Karin Röttgers

Sep 17, 2021, 3:40:45 PM9/17/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Aidas Baltušis

Oct 10, 2021, 6:15:39 AM10/10/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Just note, the pledge has been complete and the router bits have been bought. They are mounted onto a wall in the woodshop

Damian Winnichenko

Oct 10, 2021, 9:56:35 AM10/10/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think I lost track =(
How to pay a pledge?

Aidas Baltušis

Dec 13, 2021, 6:51:34 AM12/13/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I damaged the 6.3mm straight cutter bit when using it on Saturday - my bad. I've ordered a replacement one and will replace it next weekend.