Next meeting: when, what and why

Tom Stuart

Jul 22, 2015, 12:04:59 PM7/22/15
to Computation Club mailing list
Hi all,

We ran over by about half an hour last night, so we didn’t spend any time discussing when/what our next meeting should be.

Concrete issues:

* It’s Leo’s birthday on what would otherwise be the usual date (August 11th), so we either need to reschedule (e.g. meet in two weeks’ time instead, on the 4th) or find another venue and host.

* Should we press on with Chapter 12 — there’s plenty more to implement! — or put this book to bed now?

* If we do put it to bed, should our next meeting be a “retrospective”, or a show-and-tell, or a discussion about what book/project/vendetta to undertake next, or some combination of the above?

We can obviously delay the decision on the third point until we are actually finished with the book, but once we *are* finished, it would be worth advertising the next meeting more widely since it is likely to appeal to hypothetical curious parties waiting in the wings.

Thoughts welcomed! Personally the 4th is fine by me but I’m flexible; I would like to hear other people’s ideas about what we should do in those two hours.

Cheers,
-Tom

Chris Patuzzo

Jul 22, 2015, 1:08:35 PM7/22/15
to Tom Stuart, Computation Club mailing list
My favourite part of yesterday's meeting were the discussions and thought exercises.

I'd be happy to take either approach as I think there is plenty of interesting stuff in chapter 12 to look at, regardless of whether we implement it or not. Likewise a book retrospective would be equally captivating.

Just a thought, but it might be good to promote Computation Club at the upcoming LRUG as both Tom and I are speaking. We're getting close to starting a new book now and we should open the floodgates to new people.

Selfishly I'd prefer it the show and tell were to happen a few weeks after LRUG as I'd like some thinking time to work on my HDL side project, which is currently consumed by my talk preparation.

Chris

Paul Mucur

Jul 22, 2015, 4:29:44 PM7/22/15
to Chris Patuzzo, Tom Stuart, Computation Club mailing list
Somewhat frustratingly, I'll be out of the country between the 4th and 11th and would be sad to miss either the show and tell or the retrospective but understand if the timing doesn't work out.

Would there be any interest in meeting up even sooner if we just want to get through Chapter 12? Perhaps even next week?

Thanks for the excellent write-up, I'm sorry to have missed it!

Tom Stuart

Jul 27, 2015, 10:01:09 AM7/27/15
On 22 Jul 2015, at 17:04, Tom Stuart <t...@codon.com> wrote:
> It’s Leo’s birthday on what would otherwise be the usual date (August 11th), so we either need to reschedule (e.g. meet in two weeks’ time instead, on the 4th) or find another venue and host.

The only feedback on this has been: Chris is happy to carry on with chapter 12 and would prefer it if the show & tell were after LRUG; Paul is away between the 4th and 11th so will miss the next meeting if we schedule it in that period.

I therefore propose that we meet next Tuesday, the 4th, and put chapter 12 to bed. That way Paul won’t miss anything unmissable (e.g. the retrospective, which was his idea), Leo will still be able to host, and Chris won’t have to choose between finishing his LRUG talk and finishing his HDL side project.

Anyone else up for the 4th? If at least a couple of people seem interested then I’ll stick it on Lanyrd etc.

Cheers,
-Tom

Murray Steele

Jul 27, 2015, 10:16:17 AM7/27/15
On 27 July 2015 at 15:01, Tom Stuart <t...@codon.com> wrote:
I therefore propose that we meet next Tuesday, the 4th, and put chapter 12 to bed. That way Paul won’t miss anything unmissable (e.g. the retrospective, which was his idea), Leo will still be able to host, and Chris won’t have to choose between finishing his LRUG talk and finishing his HDL side project.

That all sounds good.  I might be late for the meeting on the 4th because I think that’s when Skills Matter are doing a tour of the new venue and I’d like to have a look if possible.

I do think having a show and tell / conclusion meeting would be good.  I think talking about it at LRUG would be one good place to find new members, but I’m not sure how useful the show and tell / conclusiong meeting would be for those new members.  Maybe we can promote not the next meeting (c13/retro) but the one after that (something new) at LRUG to a) give folk plenty of notice, and b) not have them turn up at the final meeting of this book.

James Mead

Jul 27, 2015, 10:53:11 AM7/27/15
to Murray Steele, Computation Club mailing list
I should be able to make 4th Aug.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-computation-club/CABUDGcrgW_3XWsk7yueQ934ukC4BTrNjTw0x0%3D6DoyE1Xx_Jng%40mail.gmail.com.

Tom Stuart

Jul 27, 2015, 11:01:27 AM7/27/15
to Computation Club mailing list
Okay, that’s at least 4 people, so I’ve added the next meeting to Lanyrd: http://lanyrd.com/2015/london-computation-club-august/

Please click the button if you plan on coming, and then we’ll know when everyone’s arrived.

See you next Tuesday!

Chris Patuzzo

Jul 28, 2015, 6:47:24 AM7/28/15
to Tom Stuart, Computation Club mailing list
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it tonight as I am out of London for a few days. Good luck operating all of the systems. I'll keep an eye on GitHub.

Chris

Tom Stuart

Jul 28, 2015, 6:47:56 AM7/28/15
to Chris Patuzzo, Computation Club mailing list
On 28 Jul 2015, at 11:47, Chris Patuzzo <ch...@patuzzo.co.uk> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it tonight as I am out of London for a few days. Good luck operating all of the systems. I'll keep an eye on GitHub.

It’s next Tuesday, not tonight.

Chris Patuzzo

Jul 28, 2015, 6:53:02 AM7/28/15
to Tom Stuart, Computation Club mailing list
Oh right - that's good news! See you next week.

Chris

Tom Stuart

Aug 4, 2015, 4:00:40 AM8/4/15
to Computation Club mailing list
A tautological reminder: we meet tonight for tonight's meeting.

I believe this will be the final "real" meeting for this book; the next is likely to be a self-indulgent metameeting of some form. TBD.

I'll be coming straight from a mystery FutureLearn ding-dong so may be a little late depending on the eventual depth and breadth of mystery.

Jamie White

Aug 4, 2015, 5:06:20 AM8/4/15
to Tom Stuart, Computation Club mailing list
I can’t make tonight sadly, and disappointed to have fallen off the wagon with the last few. As enthused about computation club as ever, just a little time-poor lately.

Murray Steele

Aug 4, 2015, 5:44:35 AM8/4/15
to Computation Club mailing list
I won’t be there as I’m going to the Skills Matter codenode launch to see what it’s like there as prep for Monday’s LRUG.​  Sorry to have missed out on Ch 12 in its entirety :(

James Mead

Aug 4, 2015, 1:13:28 PM8/4/15
to Murray Steele, Computation Club mailing list
I'm on my way. Might be slightly late.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-computation-club/CABUDGcpuf22-UiNEW_4_tcjEY_jvvanPBS%2BxfxsTSbJ1vQ1UvA%40mail.gmail.com.

Leo Cassarani

Aug 4, 2015, 1:17:58 PM8/4/15
to James Mead, Murray Steele, Computation Club mailing list
No problem. I didn't put a post-it note down on the door but it's 07766861474 as always.

Leo
> To post to this group, send an email to london-comp...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/london-computation-club/CALPVadQn5GMueNJ%2BWEbXwSOGqF%2BeUKbbWaoc7RL1n3oaNgCS4g%40mail.gmail.com.

Leo Cassarani

Aug 5, 2015, 11:50:31 AM8/5/15
to James Mead, Murray Steele, Computation Club mailing list

Kevin Butler

Tom Stuart

Aug 5, 2015, 2:17:07 PM8/5/15
to London Computation Club
On 5 Aug 2015, at 19:04, Kevin Butler <haq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those links are dead for me? :(

Ditto. Leo, you might consider cloning g...@github.com:computationclub/computationclub.github.io.wiki and putting them in the images/ directory, so that whoever does the write-up can embed them directly from GitHub.

(FWIW I am busy writing my LRUG talk so am unlikely to do this meeting’s write-up.)