Lita with SSL

mel...@futureproofgames.com

Nov 22, 2017, 11:08:35 AM11/22/17
to Lita
I'm running Lita using Docker on CoreOS on a DigitalOcean instance. Is the best way to leverage SSL with Lita still to run nginx/Apache with SSL and proxy the calls to Lita?

I'm not particularly familiar with configuring or manipulating Docker images, so I'm having trouble determining if there's a way to use SSL with Docker without needing a web server on the box.

Thanks!

Mike Fiedler

Nov 25, 2017, 7:46:28 PM11/25/17
to Lita
Hi Melissa,

If you're looking to expose the Lita server api over SSL, then I'd definitely recommend adding an nginx (or other, like caddy) server to terminate SSL and forward it to the Lita server endpoint.

Using Docker (and CoreOS) will likely have some implementation specifics on how to expose a server to the public, and then to use Docker-internal networking concepts to then proxy the requests to the Lita container.

I have to ask - what's your use case for exposing the Lita server in the first place?

Best,
-M

Melissa Avery-Weir

Nov 26, 2017, 3:17:58 PM11/26/17
to Lita
I'm using Dialogflow with the API.ai plugin and want to move my webhook that's in Dialogflow's Firebase-driven editor to Lita as a handler. Dialogflow (kinda unfortunately) requires SSL for webhooks.

Melissa

Mike

Dec 3, 2017, 5:47:33 PM12/3/17
to Melissa Avery-Weir, Lita
Hi Melissa,

Given the constraints of having Dialogflow only submit webhooks to SSL-enabled endpoints, I think going with nginx (or caddy) fronting the lita webserver would be the best way to go.

ref:

Best,
-M