Linux

JM R

Jun 16, 2023, 8:01:40 PM6/16/23
to Linux Users Group
I am hoping someone will help me. I have a Terminal icon in my Chromebook app tray and did not set up Linux on my device.

Jeremiah Bess

Jun 16, 2023, 11:11:37 PM6/16/23
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 6:01 PM JM R <gctb...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am hoping someone will help me. I have a Terminal icon in my Chromebook app tray and did not set up Linux on my device.

JM R

Jun 17, 2023, 1:45:41 PM6/17/23
to Linux Users Group
I was not able to remove it with the instructions. I have no experience with Linux and am not sure how the terminal icon got on my Chromebook.

Jeremiah Bess

Jun 17, 2023, 1:54:22 PM6/17/23
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Chromebooks might run on a Linux kernel, like Android, but they aren't really similar to regular Linux distributions. Not sure our group can help much more.

Jeremiah Bess

JM R

Jun 17, 2023, 2:05:41 PM6/17/23
to Linux Users Group
any suggestions on who might be able to help with this?

Robert Citek

Jun 17, 2023, 3:16:39 PM6/17/23
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
ChromeOS behaves slightly differently depending on vendor make and model, and ChromeOS version.

What make/model of Chromebook do you have?
What type of Chromebook do you have: laptop, tablet, laptop + external keyboard + external monitor, something else?
What version of ChromeOS are you using? Version 114.0.5735.119 is the latest.
When you say "Chromebook app tray" do you mean the "Shelf" or do you mean the application list that shows when you swipe up ( tablet ) or press the Search/Launcher key ( notebook )?
What have you tried so far to remove the "Terminal Icon"?

FYI, ChromeOS's Shelf is analogous to the Mac's Doc.  And the Search/Launcher key is analogous to Ctrl+Space on a Mac.

FWIW, I have several Chromebooks ( Samsung, Lenovo, HP ) each with the Linux Development Environment enabled.  But none have the Terminal Icon in the "Shelf".  So, I added it to the "Shelf" by starting the Terminal app and then moving the icon to the left side of the "Shelf".  To remove the icon, I Alt+clicked then selected Unpin and the icon disappeared from the "Shelf".

Regards,
- Robert

On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 6:02 PM JM R <gctb...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am hoping someone will help me. I have a Terminal icon in my Chromebook app tray and did not set up Linux on my device.

Jeremiah Bess

Jun 17, 2023, 3:45:26 PM6/17/23
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com

JM R

Jun 17, 2023, 3:48:47 PM6/17/23
to Linux Users Group
HP 360
laptop
latest
app list
I did not understand the instrucitons Jeremiah gave so I did not attempt removing. . As  i mentioned i have no experience with this or noidea how the icon appeared . Linux Development Environment is currenetly disabled.

JM R

Jun 17, 2023, 3:55:55 PM6/17/23
to Linux Users Group
heres a screenshot of the terminal
Screenshot 2023-06-17 12.54.08 PM.png

JM R

Jun 17, 2023, 6:09:41 PM6/17/23
to Linux Users Group
Robert

I know I am not that knowledgeable but am hoping you can help me with this.

Thanks

Robert Citek

Jun 17, 2023, 7:02:54 PM6/17/23
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you haven’t had the Chromebook for that long and probably need to get familiar with it.  Jeremiah posted some good links for starting.  From that page there are a bunch of related links, including a Chromebook simulator:

There’s even a simulation of uninstalling apps:

Do those links work for you?

Regards,
- Robert

JM R

Jun 17, 2023, 7:17:53 PM6/17/23
to Linux Users Group
my main concern is with the termnal app, not knowing how it got there and how to remove it

JM R

Jun 17, 2023, 7:23:05 PM6/17/23
to Linux Users Group
i dont remember ever seeing it before. From the research I did  the app installs after developer mode is enabled and linux is installed which  I did not do.

Robert Citek

Jun 17, 2023, 9:47:37 PM6/17/23
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  My recommendation would be to get familiar with the Chromebook and how it operates. That includes knowing how to install/uninstall apps, add/remove them to/from the Shelf, and what a Power Wash does and how to perform one.

Regards,
- Robert

JM R

Jun 17, 2023, 10:09:11 PM6/17/23
to Linux Users Group

Robert
I know how to how to install/uninstall apps, add/remove them to/from the Shelf, and what a Power Wash does and how to perform one.
The reason I posted with this groiup is becsuse of the terminal icon showed up on my chromebook and being concerned that Linux was installed on my chromebook.
Thanks

On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 6:47:37 PM UTC-7 Robert Citek wrote:
Ok.  My recommendation would be to get familiar with the Chromebook and how it operates. That includes knowing how to install/uninstall apps, add/remove them to/from the Shelf, and what a Power Wash does and how to perform one.

Regards,
- Robert

Jeremiah Bess

Jun 17, 2023, 10:35:00 PM6/17/23
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
As I said earlier, Chrome does run on the Linux kernel, so Linux has always been there at the core. The Terminal app is a legitimate app, and nothing to be afraid of. As for how it got installed, who knows? If you are afraid of malicious actions, that is beyond the scope of this group. You will need to engage a cybersecurity incident response company, but as I said, the app is benign. It may have been bundled with another app as a dependency. If you don't like the app being there, just uninstall it and the problem is solved.

https://chromeos.dev/en/productivity/terminal

Jeremiah Bess

JM R

Jun 17, 2023, 11:00:23 PM6/17/23
to Linux Users Group
Jeremiah

I went to the link you gave me and could not find instructions on how to uninstall  and when i right click on the icon there is no unistall option. The other thing I researched cybersecurity incident response company and looks like that is for businesses not personal.
Thanks

Robert Citek

Jun 18, 2023, 12:43:21 AM6/18/23
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Great.  So, given that you know how to do those things, what exactly is your question? - Robert

Jeremiah Bess

Jun 18, 2023, 10:21:00 AM6/18/23
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
JM R,

I booted up a Chromebook my kids have, and they too have the Terminal app. However, as your screen shot shows, Linux is NOT set up. The terminal app comes standard with the current versions of ChromeOS. Opening the app, you can see two ways to use it: Set up Linux, or set up an SSH connection.

This is why you cannot remove it, it's built-in.

Jeremiah Bess

Robert Citek

Jun 18, 2023, 12:13:32 PM6/18/23
to linuxus...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for doing that, Jeremiah.

If I find some time, I’m going run a Power Wash ( aka wipe and reset system to factory defaults ) on one of my systems to see what the result is with the Terminal App.

Of course, my question is still, what is the question from JM R that we are trying to answer?

As an aside, IMHO, to really get comfortable with a Chromebook, one should do a Power Wash daily for a month. During that time you’ll discover what settings and features do and do not get saved to the cloud. For example, the Linux Development Environment and Android Development settings need to be re-enabled after each Power Wash.

Regards,
- Robert

highs...@yahoo.de

Aug 27, 2023, 3:17:14 AM8/27/23