permissions for website directories for nginx

fugee ohu

Aug 15, 2019, 10:14:42 AM8/15/19
to Linux Users Group
I've always kept websites under my own user name Now I'm reading their directories and files should be owned by whatever user nginx is running as Which is it?

Jeremiah Bess

Aug 15, 2019, 8:56:14 PM8/15/19
to LUG
That's probably a question better left for a nginx user group or forum. However, general best practices for any service is that it is files/directories are owned and run by a service account not associated with any actual user or other service. This is so if the service is ever compromised, it's only giving the attacker or malware the same permissions as the exploited service, and protects the rest of your OS users and services.