[Need guidance] New device: X-View Proton Tab 2

Franco Palombo

Nov 19, 2023, 7:56:16 PM11/19/23
to linux-sunxi
Hi, my name is Franco, and I'm interested in adding this new device to the
sunxi-boards repo in order to be able to build a new kernel and get rid of
android. My idea is to use this tablet as a control center for some smart
devices in my house.

So far I was able to retrieve most of the device information. I have both
bootinfo.txt and script.fex files with the extracted dram parameters. I wasn't
able to extract information about the touchscreen and other sensors because it
seems that android is now broken. I can only boot recovery interrupting u-boot
and manually loading the recovery partition. The so called, normal boot, ends
up with the device stuck on the bootlogo and on serial I can only see the
"Starting kernel..." text.
I've tried to manually change the loglevel hoping to see some kind of messages
from the kernel but nothing. I also haven't found a way to read boot logs on
u-boot, so I think android is done for the moment.

In theory, I now have to add support to u-boot, but for that, I need a device
tree, and I don't really know how to write one. My previous experiences with
dtb and kernel compilations are with the WonderMedia's 8650 soc. I only copied
text that I gathered from different messages and pasted it on the dtb file, and
things just worked.
I want to learn how to write dtb files, but in the meaning time, I was
wondering if someone could guide me a little bit on what route should I take.
The device page is here, with all the information I was able to find, and I
also attach both bootinfo.txt and script.fex files to see if you can tell me
what already written dtb file is the closest one to what my device needs.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Franco.
bootinfo.txt