Problems with install

Matt Poyner

Apr 12, 2017, 1:00:48 PM4/12/17
to LibraryBox
So, the reason that I had asked the other topic/question about the firmware location is because I've already had two of my 3040s "bricked". I put that in quotes, because I'm assuming they're bricked.
two
I thought maybe the issue was that I needed to somehow find the firmware on the USB stick.

So after you answered, I just tried again on another 3040 with the same exact results. I'm lost as to what I'm doing wrong. It seems like the instructions are simple and I don't really understand where I'm screwing up.

My 3040s are all version 2.4, according to the box. So I'm downloading the version 2 firmware from your list of firmware.

I stick that and the install folder onto the USB stick (formatted to Fat 32 using Disk Utility on my Mac.

Login at 192.168.0.1

Install the new firmware.

It goes through the process, finishes at 100% complete, says it's successful.

It restarts itself.

When it comes back online, I can't login to the admin area anymore and the router is not broadcasting any SSID that any of my devices can see.

Any advice about common reasons why this may be happening?

Matthias Strubel

Apr 12, 2017, 1:05:18 PM4/12/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Rum, are you aware of the fact, that after installing the custom firmware, that

A) the new ip is 192.168.1.1
B) use wired connection for debugging issues, you may need to replug the wire after flash is complete
C) if the auto install fails, you won't have a webui you can point the browser to
D) you need to use Telnet for connecting and after setting a password ssh

Best regards Matthias

Jason Griffey

Apr 12, 2017, 1:18:38 PM4/12/17
to LibraryBox

The install folder is unzipped, and is called "install" with the contents seen in the attached image?

The USB thumb drive - what size? formatted to FAT32 with just one partition?

In most cases that I've seen where something like this is happening, the issue has been that either the folder has something wrong (contents somehow changed, or the zip file is being loaded and not the unzipped folder) or the USB drive has something wrong (formatting, or occasionally just a bad USB).

One possible troubleshooting: try a fresh USB, and try formatting it using a different computer.

The good news: the firmware will "check" to see if there's an install folder on the USB drive, and proceed with installation, so you should be able to create a fresh USB with the install folder, insert it, and have the installation proceed normally.

Also, just to be sure: the installation of the LibraryBox customizations can take awhile...5+ minutes, sometimes more depending on the speed of the USB drive in question. So if you don't immediately see a LibraryBox SSID, don't freak out...the router will reboot twice during the processes, and the lights on the router will flash until the install is complete. Just give it a bit. :-)

Hope this helps...if it doesn't, let me know and we can go through the steps more discretely.

Jason

Matt Poyner

Apr 12, 2017, 1:31:07 PM4/12/17
to LibraryBox
Hi all,

Actually, this time I left it turned on while I was writing this initial post and then went onto some other things and just now looked at it again and voila it was broadcasting. :-)

So now I'm wondering if the first two boxes I tried, if I turned them off too early, thinking that it didn't work.

I used a different USB stick this time to see if that made a difference. Perhaps its faster than the others.

Thanks everyone. Now, I'll have to see if the other two can actually finish installing. Should I just put in the USB stick with the install folder and try to let them finish?

Matt Poyner

Apr 12, 2017, 1:33:28 PM4/12/17
to LibraryBox
To be clear, this was the third attempt. The one that I just posted hadn't worked. I just hadn't let it restart a couple of times and keep installing, apparently.

Do you think if I go back to the other two and put in the usb with the install folder, they might finish?

Jason Griffey

Apr 12, 2017, 1:46:28 PM4/12/17
to LibraryBox

Yeah, you can most likely do that. Just use a fresh USB and install folder.

LibraryBox uses the USB as a scratch drive/hd, so you want one drive per box.

Jason

Matt Poyner

Apr 12, 2017, 2:07:30 PM4/12/17
to LibraryBox
Great. thanks for all your help!

BTW, you might be interested to know that we're using these in the National Park Service.

Right now, we have a couple of test boxes at Katmai, near where the bear cam is (http://explore.org/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls)

These boxes allow us to get info to visitors where we would otherwise have no connectivity at all.