✨LeoJS beta 0.2.8 Released!

Félix

Jan 1, 2024, 10:38:21 PMJan 1
to leo-editor
📣Introducing LeoJS Beta 0.2.8
LeoJS Beta 0.2.8 is here, bringing a substantial update filled with enhancements and critical fixes.
_56d93bdf-e7f0-4625-85a2-cbf3cfc87fee.jpg

🔍What's New in 0.2.8:
  • Help Commands: 'helpCommands.py' was converted to typescript, enabling help commands.
  • UNL Support: Works in log pane, body panes, and all editor windows.
  • Goto-Script Fix: Now works seamlessly with @button items.
  • Markdown: The @auto markdown importer and writer now ensures flawless read-write integrity.
  • Undo/Redo for UAs: Enhanced command support for 'Clear UAs' and 'Set UA'.
  • Clone Related Commands: Fixes to 'show clone ancestors' and 'show clone parents' commands.
  • Workspace-Specific Sessions: Session management is now more personalized with workspace-specific settings.
  • Stable Node Selection: LeoJS maintains focus on the selected node when refreshing external files.
  • gnx-kind Setting: Choose between uuid, ksuid, or traditional GNX.
🚀 Continuous Improvements Since Launch:
  • Refined tooltips, language coloring support, and bug fixes in various importers.
  • Enhanced keyboard navigation and pattern support for web browsers.
  • Streamlined mobile experience, including 'ConfirmBeforeClose' improvements.
  • Resolved issues with goto-next-clone and goto-next-marked refresh cycles, session management, and body pane labeling.
  • Introduced user-friendly 'Recent Files' icons and buttons.
If you can help to test it and note the bugs you find on the issues page, that'd be great! Join me and the community of Leo enthusiasts in refining LeoJS. Your feedback is invaluable in making LeoJS the best it can be.

🔗 Get Started: LeoJS Beta 0.2.8 (also available on open-vsx.org)

Many thanks to Edward, Thomas Kevin, and the rest of the Leo community for your contributions and support!!

Félix

Thomas Passin

Jan 1, 2024, 11:10:09 PMJan 1
to leo-editor
So far, so good - it updated and ran in both VSC and VSCodium.

jkn

Jan 2, 2024, 4:43:20 AMJan 2
to leo-editor
I like the graphic Felix, well done! ;-)

    Jon N

Edward K. Ream

Jan 2, 2024, 5:44:20 AMJan 2
to leo-editor
On Monday, January 1, 2024 at 9:38:21 PM UTC-6 Félix wrote:

📣Introducing LeoJS Beta 0.2.8

Congratulations. The New Year is better with LeoJS :-)

This new version is the result of continuous, careful, diligent effort since the last release.

Leo's community is blessed by your work.

You said this two days ago in a comment to PR #3737:

QQQ
Historical Note: This is the very last feature/bug completing the rewrite/code review of Leo while making LeoJS. (A few weeks back I thought we were done, but I had yet to implement UNLS! haha! Now we're really at the last part - for real this time! 😆 )
QQQ

This Beta is a milestone in Leo's history. Congratulations again.

Edward

jkn

Jan 2, 2024, 9:24:18 AMJan 2
to leo-editor
A small point - it would be nice if the release notes mentioned what version of VSCode/VSCodium
was needed. I got a message that my version was too old.
(I am running 1.77.1 of VSCodium, will upgrade shortly)

Thanks, jon N

Thomas Passin

Jan 2, 2024, 9:36:02 AMJan 2
to leo-editor
That would probably be hard for a developer to keep up with, I would think.  I remember the first time I went to install leoJS I got a similar message, but VSC/odium upgraded in a flash so that I hardly knew what had happened.  So it was a non-issue for me.

jkn

Jan 2, 2024, 10:36:44 AMJan 2
to leo-editor
(I have also probably been getting confused between LeoInteg and LeoJS: the page Felix links to has 'how to install LeoInteg' at the top...)

I have two issues on first attempts to use LeoJS, or at least to use it in the same environment as I run 'Leo Classic' in:

1) This is probably OS/distribution specific. I am running VSCodium under Kubuntu Linux. When I try to open a file, the open dialog appear *in the panel/toolbar*, ie. not as a sized window. I have to explicitly open the dialog by clicking in the toolbar. as I say, I think this is an artefact of my distribution, but if anyone knows how to fix it I'd be grateful

2) I am getting severe problems, having exited Codium and trying to start 'Leo Classic', with 'File already opened in another copy of Leo' errors. It took me a while to find the button to close a file in LeoJS; but even after going through the list of files and doing this one by one I am still getting this on multiple files. I recall there used to be some sort of cache file you could delete in these circumstances, but I can recall the details. anyone, please?

Thanks, J^n

jkn

Jan 2, 2024, 11:07:46 AMJan 2
to leo-editor
update:

1) I have got past my 'files open in another instance of Leo' problem. I did remember that the cache is in ~/.leo/db etc, although I ended up not doing it this way
2) I also seem to have sorted out my dialog opening issue - it does indeed seem to be a VSCodium/Kubuntu problem. I have added a workaround rule to the Window configuration.

In the course of all of this I have updated 'Leo classic' and seem to have hit a different issue ... I will raise as a separate thread.

Sorry for the noise, J^n

Thomas Passin

Jan 2, 2024, 11:48:44 AMJan 2
to leo-editor
I just installed VSCodium and leoJS on Linux Mint in a Virtual Machine.  I followed the instructions here to install VSCodium. It all worked like a charm and I opened the Workbook without noticing anything unusual so far.

Thomas Passin

Jan 2, 2024, 4:02:25 PMJan 2
to leo-editor
On Tuesday, January 2, 2024 at 10:36:44 AM UTC-5 jkn wrote:
(I have also probably been getting confused between LeoInteg and LeoJS: the page Felix links to has 'how to install LeoInteg' at the top...)

I have two issues on first attempts to use LeoJS, or at least to use it in the same environment as I run 'Leo Classic' in:

1) This is probably OS/distribution specific. I am running VSCodium under Kubuntu Linux. When I try to open a file, the open dialog appear *in the panel/toolbar*, ie. not as a sized window. I have to explicitly open the dialog by clicking in the toolbar. as I say, I think this is an artefact of my distribution, but if anyone knows how to fix it I'd be grateful

I just installed it on XUbuntu and didn't see this issue.

jkn

Jan 2, 2024, 4:15:51 PMJan 2
to leo-editor

Yes, this seems to be a Kubuntu/Codium interaction issue. I 'fixed' it with a window management workaround.

Félix

Jan 2, 2024, 8:32:38 PMJan 2
to leo-editor
jkn Thank you very much for trying out LeoInteg and LeoJS!!

I will add the minimal version of VSCode in the release notes, great suggestion! Thanks!

About 'already opened in another window' warning dialogs

LeoJS tries to act exactly like the original Leo. So LeoJS is supposed to write in the appropriate db setting file all changes to status of opened Leo Documents, so that it would not be different to what would happen if you would open them again in another instance of the regular Leo.

Closing them in LeoJS clears that entry for that file in the db. And after that point opening it in Leo, (or Another LeoJS instance in a new VSCode window ) it should not bring that warning dialog.

I'll keep an eye opened for that behavior while I work with LeoJS throughout the week to see if this is behaving exactly like it should. Feel free to file an issue if you can spot a specific reproducible problem that deviates from what the regular Leo would do.

Wrong links

Lastly, in a message above you said:
>  the page Felix links to has 'how to install LeoInteg' at the top...
I'm curious to know where in LeoJS documentation do I link to a LeoInteg related page! Can you indicate where you saw this?

Thanks in advance! And don't hesitate to suggest more stuff and share you experience with LeoJS!!

Here's one just for you:
_f58df33c-d0fd-4160-aecc-b2678a8f0946.jpg

Félix

Edward K. Ream

Jan 3, 2024, 5:46:22 AMJan 3
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 7:32 PM Félix <felix...@gmail.com> wrote:
jkn Thank you very much for trying out LeoInteg and LeoJS!!

Great illustration :-) Please keep them coming. Let's start a gallery!

Edward

jkn

Jan 3, 2024, 6:36:35 AMJan 3
to leo-editor
Yes, these are very entertaining. How do you create them, out of interest? Perhaps you should have an Avatar for Edward and yourself on the next one...

jkn

Jan 25, 2024, 12:03:05 PMJan 25
to leo-editor
PS: there's a gentleman in the image above who makes me think of Vitalije... ;-)