Refactoring probably means using signals

Edward K. Ream

Aug 23, 2019, 9:11:21 AM8/23/19
to leo-editor
Leo's code is a behemoth. Nothing we can do is going to drastically shrink it, or make it a snap to understand or change.

Imo, using Qt's signals more effectively is likely to be the best way to simplify Leo's code just a little bit.  This page explains the benefits.

Signals aren't a panacea. Understanding signals and their interactions isn't trivial.  However, cff <signal name> gives an excellent overview.

I don't have any immediate plans to use more signals in Leo.  However, I would welcome any experiments in this direction.

Edward

Terry Brown

Aug 23, 2019, 10:23:38 AM8/23/19
to Leo list
When we talked about this previously I looked at
https://pythonhosted.org/blinker/  and it seemed quite good, trying to find it again I
also see
"A purely Python implementation of the Qt signal system with no QObject dependencies"
if you want to think about something that doesn't tie you to Qt / allows a null-gui Leo state machine kind of thing.

Cheers -Terry

Edward K. Ream

Aug 23, 2019, 12:00:22 PM8/23/19
to leo-editor
On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 9:23 AM Terry Brown <terry...@gmail.com> wrote:
When we talked about this previously I looked at
https://pythonhosted.org/blinker/  and it seemed quite good, trying to find it again I
also see

Thanks, Terry.  I've bookmarked both of these.

Edward