Ready-to-run exe

matelot

Apr 25, 2020, 1:03:07 AM4/25/20
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
Windows:
I run Leo by starting this via powershell: ...\Leo-5-5_Win\LeoAppFolder\LeoApp.exe

Now I have a new PC, where can I download the latest of this exe?

Basically need to get Leo running on mine and co-worker as easily, as quickly and as painlessly as possible
We're just 'dumb" non-tech users.

thanks

Edward K. Ream

Apr 25, 2020, 6:56:22 AM4/25/20
to leo-editor
On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 12:03 AM matelot <webto...@gmail.com> wrote:
Windows:
I run Leo by starting this via powershell: ...\Leo-5-5_Win\LeoAppFolder\LeoApp.exe

Now I have a new PC, where can I download the latest ?

Leo no longer exists as a stand-alone .exe file. Otoh, `pip install leo` should work.

For detailed installations instructions, please see this page.

Edward

Matt Wilkie

Apr 25, 2020, 1:46:40 PM4/25/20
to leo-editor
Hi Matelot,

I'm sorry to say that we lost the ability to easily build an all-in-one exe. It's on my list of things to get to again but aren't there yet (and not likely to be soon). That said, installing it the techy or developer way is much easier than it used to be.

The installing instructions Edward linked to look complicated because they're long, but really it just boils down to:
  • install python (v3.6 or newer)
  • run: pip install leo from a python enabled command prompt
  • run leo from that same python enabled command prompt
-matt

Viktor Ransmayr

Apr 25, 2020, 2:31:35 PM4/25/20
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
Hello Matt,

Yes. - That is the description, how 'Downloading, Installing & Running Leo' [1] should start!

With kind regards,

Viktor
---

Matt Wilkie

Apr 25, 2020, 7:26:53 PM4/25/20
to leo-editor
The installing instructions Edward linked to look complicated because they're long, but really it just boils down to:
  • install python (v3.6 or newer)
  • run: pip install leo from a python enabled command prompt
  • run leo from that same python enabled command prompt
Yes. - That is the description, how 'Downloading, Installing & Running Leo' [1] should start!

Done, in devel branch. I'm not sure how many days before it gets pushed to the website (it's not automatic).

-matt

Edward K. Ream

Apr 26, 2020, 8:59:02 AM4/26/20
to leo-editor
On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 1:31 PM Viktor Ransmayr wrote:

Am Sa., 25. Apr. 2020 um 19:46 Uhr schrieb Matt Wilkie <map...@gmail.com>:

The installing instructions Edward linked to look complicated because they're long, but really it just boils down to:
  • install python (v3.6 or newer)
  • run: pip install leo from a python enabled command prompt
  • run leo from that same python enabled command prompt

Yes. - That is the description, how 'Downloading, Installing & Running Leo' [1] should start!

Great idea. A recent rev in devel adds these words, and corrects several sphinx mistakes. The new pages are up on the web.

Edward

Edward K. Ream

Apr 26, 2020, 9:08:12 AM4/26/20
to leo-editor

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 6:26 PM Matt Wilkie <map...@gmail.com>

>> Yes. - That is the description, how 'Downloading, Installing & Running Leo' [1] should start!

> Done, in devel branch. I'm not sure how many days before it gets pushed to the website (it's not automatic).

We both did the same thing. Rev 6e13c60 in devel attempts to fix the resulting merge conflicts.

- I picked my version for LeoDocs.leo because that version fixes some sphinx/rST problems in previous text.

- I picked your version of MANIFEST.in. Please ensure it as you want it.

Edward

Matt Wilkie

Apr 26, 2020, 10:32:47 PM4/26/20
to leo-editor
We both did the same thing. Rev 6e13c60 in devel attempts to fix the resulting merge conflicts.

- I picked my version for LeoDocs.leo because that version fixes some sphinx/rST problems in previous text.

Should I be editing LeoDocs in a different way or doing something else to avoid merge conflicts?

- I picked your version of MANIFEST.in. Please ensure it as you want it.

I'm glad you said something, it wasn't. This is very strange though because the git log and file history clearly showed the my change was there and not reverted in any subsequent diffs that I could see. Yet, in the fle system the line I added was gone (`include LICENSE`). Anyway, I re-added it (1c197cc).

-matt

Edward K. Ream

Apr 27, 2020, 5:57:54 AM4/27/20
to leo-editor
On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 9:32 PM Matt Wilkie <map...@gmail.com> wrote:
We both did the same thing. Rev 6e13c60 in devel attempts to fix the resulting merge conflicts.

- I picked my version for LeoDocs.leo because that version fixes some sphinx/rST problems in previous text.

Should I be editing LeoDocs in a different way or doing something else to avoid merge conflicts?

No. I should have pulled from devel before editing LeoDocs.leo.

- I picked your version of MANIFEST.in. Please ensure it as you want it.

I'm glad you said something, it wasn't. This is very strange though because the git log and file history clearly showed the my change was there and not reverted in any subsequent diffs that I could see. Yet, in the fle system the line I added was gone (`include LICENSE`). Anyway, I re-added it (1c197cc).

Perhaps my first use of --ours overrode the later use of my --theirs for MANIFEST.in.

Edward