Bookmarks plugin for docks

lewis

Jun 12, 2019, 9:31:35 AM6/12/19
to leo-editor
I have found Leo's Bookmarks plugin a very useful tool. With the introduction of docks it is no longer available unless you use the --no-dock option, but then you lose dock features.
Is there any prospect of there being a compatible plugin enabling a Bookmark panel to be inserted or merged into a dock?

Regards
Lewis

Edward K. Ream

Jun 12, 2019, 12:06:02 PM6/12/19
to leo-editor
On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:31 AM lewis <lewi...@operamail.com> wrote:

I have found Leo's Bookmarks plugin a very useful tool. With the introduction of docks it is no longer available unless you use the --no-dock option, but then you lose dock features.
Is there any prospect of there being a compatible plugin enabling a Bookmark panel to be inserted or merged into a dock?

bookmarks.py is a hard case. It's entangled with the old gui. It would need a rethink/rewrite for docks.

The plugins listed in #1154 should port to using docks without much fuss.  I'll likely to that before 6.0b1.

Edward

Terry Brown

Jun 12, 2019, 2:38:47 PM6/12/19
to Leo list
Bookmarks isn't particularly entangled in the old UI, I had it working in my attempt at a docks based UI.

I don't really see it as different from the other plugins listed in #1154, it has state persistence, but I don't think that's a GUI tied issue.

That said, the old GUI worked by letting plugins register as things that could provide a widget for the GUI to manage.  It also handled persistence in that process.  In that context bookmarks.py would work equally well in a new GUI that registers a list of things that can provide widgets to manage. If the new model is for each plugin to understand the GUI and manage itself within it, then there might be more work to be done.

Cheers -Terry

Edward K. Ream

Jun 12, 2019, 5:29:53 PM6/12/19
to leo-editor
On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 1:38 PM Terry Brown <terry...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bookmarks isn't particularly entangled in the old UI, I had it working in my attempt at a docks based UI.

I don't really see it as different from the other plugins listed in #1154, it has state persistence, but I don't think that's a GUI tied issue.

Thanks for this.  I'll add it to the list.  Actually, the list may not matter much, because all the plugins probably use common code to add themselves to the (legacy) Log pane.  I'll just adapt that code to use docks.

Edward

Edward K. Ream

Jun 12, 2019, 5:44:58 PM6/12/19
to leo-editor
On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 4:29 PM Edward K. Ream <edre...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for this.  I'll add it to the list.

Heh.  bookmarks.py does not create any tab in the Log pane, so nothing needs to be done.
plugins probably use common code to add themselves to the (legacy) Log pane.  I'll just adapt that code to use docks.

To be more specific, I was talking about the Tab methods in the LeoQtLog class in
leo/plugins/qt_frame.py.  Perhaps only LeoQtLog.createTab will need to change.

Edward