LIDAR Module

Paul Millhouse-Smith

Jan 11, 2023, 9:02:08 AM1/11/23
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon,

Just putting it out there, if anyone has access to a portable LIDAR module?

I am looking to experiment with recording outdoor environments ie. woodlands. and caves.

Or if anyone has experimented with a LIDAR shield such as this one:

image.png

Thank you for your time,
Paul

/ / /

Paul Millhouse-Smith (He/Him)

DrBwts

Jan 14, 2023, 11:42:38 AM1/14/23
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi Phil - I've been using a Garmin LIDAR-Lite V3HP, its got ~40 meter range. Well documented with its own Arduino library though its not a 360 device like the one you've linked to.

Nic

Paul Millhouse-Smith

Jan 17, 2023, 8:53:16 AM1/17/23
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nic,

Thank you for your advice.

I will look into it, do you have any captures of it imaging capabilities?

Thanks,
Paul

/ / /

Paul Millhouse-Smith (He/Him)

DrBwts

Jan 18, 2023, 6:39:55 AM1/18/23
to Leeds Hack Space
LIDAR by itself just sends back distance information, any image reconstruction will be done in software. I only use it to get distance information so havent any experience in creating an image from the data.

Here's a vid of the project I used it for, the LIDAR module is at the end of the funnel & is measuring the distance to my fist then the data is used to light up the appropriate LED ring & generate the appropriate frequency (sound on)

https://youtube.com/shorts/oCemu_NVDYM