I'm not sure how to install scripts 😬

im hearsay

Apr 20, 2021, 1:23:15 PM4/20/21
to Ledger

I would like to install the report script located in contrib/report

"The script to do this is included in the ledger distribution, and is named contrib/report. Install report anywhere along your PATH, and then use report instead of ledger when doing a register report."

How do I install report along my PATH? Can you explain this step-by-step? I'm very new to computer programming.

I used brew install ledger and brew install gnuplot on Mac OSX

im hearsay

Apr 20, 2021, 9:47:55 PM4/20/21
to Ledger

o1bigtenor

Apr 21, 2021, 6:19:59 AM4/21/21
to Ledger
Greetings

Not an expert at ledger but have been a user for a while - - - - so
trying to help.
If you get other suggestions from one of the guys that knows - - - -
well then dump my stuff QUICK (grin!).

I could only find information on what you're asking about for version 2.8.
Current version is 3.2 and the docs no longer include this information.

Dunno if this will help but I was able to find a couple hits with the search
term (I'm using duckduckgo) "ledger-cli + report script" . In particular one
person is talking about how 'ugly' he found the default output and says that
he has 6 scripts.

HTH

federico lopez

Apr 21, 2021, 5:51:13 PM4/21/21
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
I don't know how Mac OSX brew Install works, but in linux a rudimentary step-by-step could be:

- In a terminal, after clone the ledger repository make the /path/to/ledger/contrib/report script executable running:
 $ chmod +x /path/to/ledger/contrib/report

- In a terminal export the path to your session running:
 $ export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/contrib

    to be persistent edit  .bashrc file adding a line like this (change directories according to your system)

    export PATH="$HOME/Builds/ledger/contrib:$PATH"

Having gnuplot installed, the comments in the report script show two examples of use:
$  report -j -M reg food            # plot monthly food costs
$  report -J reg checking           # plot checking account balance