Vacation

im hearsay

Jul 3, 2021, 9:38:55 PM7/3/21
to Ledger
What is the best way to handle vacation expenses? I would like to use my same categories but add either a vacation tag or new account (e.g., Expenses:Vacation:Restaurants).

My main objective is to, at a glance, pull up a report that shows how much I spent on my vacation in 2021. But I would also like to see those same vacation expenses in their normal categories as well.

For example, while on vacation, I spend $50 at a restaurant and $50 for a theme park ticket. How would I reflect this for restaurant and entertainment as well as a vacation expense.

2021/07/03 * Steak House
     Expenses:Restaurants  $50.00
     Liabilities:AMEX

2021/07/03 * Theme Park
     Expenses:Entertainment  $50.00
     Liabilities:AMEX

What is the best way to do this?

Brandon A. Olivares

Jul 3, 2021, 10:03:22 PM7/3/21
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
Why not just add a vacation tag to those expenses, then you can query all transactions with that tag?

Brandon

im hearsay

Jul 3, 2021, 11:23:32 PM7/3/21
to Ledger
tags... ok, i will do that then.

In case anyone needs in the future this is what I did with an example:

2021/07/03 * Steak House
     ; :Vacation:
     Expenses:Restaurants  $50.00
     Liabilities:AMEX