AC1 AP1 for sale

Jack Ward

Mar 11, 2021, 8:19:56 AM3/11/21
to lecson...@googlegroups.com
Prices keep rising. The ebay address was ridiculously long, so I went to tinyurl.com and reduced it.

Jack Ward

LENA WONG

Mar 11, 2021, 8:27:44 AM3/11/21
to lecson...@googlegroups.com
Ebay sellers in Japan always ask a price much higher than the rest of the world. There is no info saying whether the set is in working condition or not (I might overlook in the auction description). However, nice to know that the set's price keep on going higher than in the past.

Thanks,
Michael Chan

John Mayberry

Mar 11, 2021, 12:45:24 PM3/11/21
to lecson...@googlegroups.com

Did you ever think the purchasing power of our money might be eroding somewhat?

Honestly.

Jack Ward

Mar 12, 2021, 5:48:26 PM3/12/21
to lecson...@googlegroups.com
I think about it quite frequently, John. Just imagine for a moment, every person in the USA will owe over $17,000 for this $1.9 trillion "pandemic relief package". All that for a $1400 check? I think not. Can you think of ANYTHING that you might purchase with that sort of payback? If all this is a good thing, then why not spend more? No? Is there a limit? Then what is it? I would like to know.

Stay tuned...

Oh, I am enjoying my AC1 and AP1. (Lecson content)   ;-)

Jack

Lothar

Mar 20, 2021, 8:15:10 AM3/20/21
to Lecson Audio
Hi John,

Forget about the purchasing power....they could just as well ask for a million. These prices are pure phantasy and nobody will buy. At least nobody did over the last 20 years. The realistic price for a simple AP1 and an AC1 always was and still is somewhere between 500-800 $ for the pair. Depending on condition. Several were sold for that sum last year.
Good when you already own the complete Lecson range...saves money.
Apart from that, in Japan they are trying to sell you ONE Maxell Metal Vertex cassette tape (and others) for 300-400 $ which is absolute madness, as you can easily get them for less than a third of that, which is still madness....but unfortunately I needed some for my Nakamichi tapedecks.
So this is the end of my only post in the last couple of years.
Add it to the pile of several thousand I wrote right from the start of the forums in 2007 !  ;)))
Regards to all surviving Hifi enthusiasts, unfortunately an almost extinct species these days.

Lothar

Pete Wilson

Mar 20, 2021, 10:55:44 AM3/20/21
to lecson...@googlegroups.com
Lothar

Greetings!
I got my Nakamichi cassette deck repaired last year. Slightly cheaper than its alleged value.
Cassettes are indeed a problem. However, it seems to work quite well with quite ordinary tapes…

Meanwhile the Kii Three speakers sound lovely!

My AC1 is currently hidden in a drawer awaiting minor cleaning, and also finding somewhere to deploy it. The secondary listening area now has a NAD 3020D playing music from a Raspberry PI connected to the network, so no usage there. It may yet go to Normandy, to look beautiful in the salon there :-)

— Pete

Lothar

Mar 21, 2021, 4:49:35 AM3/21/21
to Lecson Audio
Hi Pete,

Okay, another one...  ;)))  Well, I was silly enough to buy the three best Nakamichis: Dragon, CR-7E/A and RX-505 with that INCREDIBLE cassette turning mechanism you could watch dozens of times !  Dragon and CR-7E won't be any cheaper than 2000-2500 $ in perfect condition, which is madness, but they are absolutely beautiful machines! NEVER thought I would buy another cassette deck, let alone 3 of the best and most expensive.... But I would go as far as to say they sound even better than CD !
Of course they sound nice with cheaper cassettes as well, BUT would you buy a Ferrari or Maserati and fix cheap Chinese tyres ????

Apart from that: my absolute all time favourites have always been beautiful turntables with beautiful arms, so collected 17 by now. (asylum waiting for me...) and my absolute favourite is my Michell Transcriptor as seen in "Clockwork Orange" movie and most design museums all over the world. A PIECE OF ART !

And finally as you mention Raspberry Pi: About a dozen are (more or less) controlling the watering system for our garden and lots of unnecessary other things!
ONLY time they give up on us is when we are away on holiday.  5 years ago something went wrong and they were watering our garden for 24 hours non stop, for two weeks.
We returned to a swamp and millions of flies, and please do not ask about the water bill...
That's life! Big sigh !

Regards,

Lothar

Stan Curtis

Mar 21, 2021, 10:22:20 AM3/21/21
to lecson...@googlegroups.com

Good Lord Lothar, you need protecting from yourself.   17 turntables is a few too many for anyone.  At least you aren’t collecting tape decks.  I went through that stage with three 24 track machines and numerous smaller ones at one stage.  Then I recovered  ;-)

Stan

Pete Wilson

Mar 21, 2021, 10:30:26 AM3/21/21
to lecson...@googlegroups.com
I think that collecting idiosyncrasies as one …matures…. is a fine thing!

My Nak CR-7A and a Revox A77 (not turned on in yonks) is all I have in the spoolable rust department, though.

[Heck, I’m even reducing the spinning rust quotient in the computer department. Now more or less just for backup of backups…]

Lothar

Mar 23, 2021, 5:03:20 AM3/23/21
to Lecson Audio
Hi Stan,

Well.....yes, you might be right! :))) But on the other hand, YOU had some fits of that crazy addiction as well, and as you had three 24 track machines and others, I just might try to reach that magic number 24.... ?  I have said that many times before: Highend turntables and arms are works of art I could watch for hours when working ! Try that with a CD player !
Anyway, so I am not alone ! Welcome to my HAA Club ! (Hifi Addicts Anonymous) well...not THAT anonymous any more....

Lothar

P.S. BTW: ALL turntables, some in systems, most of them in shelves, are fully operative within 1-2 minutes which are needed to connect them to a full range of QUAD Hifi, made in the UK !

Lothar

Mar 23, 2021, 5:06:20 AM3/23/21
to Lecson Audio
Pete, you absolutely right about the "fine thing!"  You know what.....I am SO happy Stan did not ask how many amps, speakers and transistor radios I have collected....  ;)))

Oh Stan, you saw this, didn't you ?  :))

Alex B

May 9, 2021, 3:23:35 PM5/9/21
to lecson...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I’ve seen recently discussions anout AP3s.

I am in the process of fixing an AP3 MK2 which I’ve got defective a few years ago but didn’t find a good repair engineer to trust him with this repair until now.

So I’ve just got it working at a repair shop and the findings were interesting:
- one channel was left unpowered from a previous repair
- one channel had pre-drivers and a pair of final transistors replaced but was working fine

The unconnected channel (original parts) was measuring perfectly fine, all parts working but on powering on it was badly oscillating.

The previously repaired channel was working fine even if it had some non original parts fitted (mj15003/mj15004 and some bc pre drivers 2amps 1w)

The repair shop fitted very small 5.6pF in the feedback loop to stabilize the amplifier and they say now it works fine, quiescent current stable and offset not drifting.

Anyone had oscillations on a AP3 MK2 having to fit capacitors like this?
I’ve seen someone complaining recently about AP3 getting too hot which I suppose may be something simillar, but I was reading that the MK2 should be more stable?

Is it possible to be because of some aging components?

All the best,
Alex