Leela engine for android (smartphones)

Alexander

Aug 1, 2018, 2:58:06 PM8/1/18
to LCZero
Hello all!

I just thought that it would be nice if we have an application of Leela in Play Market (or iTunes).

That it might have two regimes:

=> playing with latest version of Leela
=> self-play mode for training Leela

everyone has a smartphone, and if such an application exsisted I think hundreds of self-play volunteers would occur due to simplicity of application and no need to download program on PC, make some tunes, wait until self-play is over, etc. Capacities of modern smartphones are quite high but even if low we could benefit from large number of volunteers which in sum would give thousands of games per day.

Myself, when back from work I have spare 4-5 hours on my Galaxy 8 before going to sleep, besides sometimes I could leave self-play for the whole night..

Or to create such an application it would need a sum of money for Play Market or programmers?

pocket Leela.. sounds very good ;)

LittleWarrior

Aug 1, 2018, 3:04:51 PM8/1/18
to LCZero
Really would be a waste of time really....not suited for a PC CPU and certainly not for a Phone CPU

Alexander

Aug 1, 2018, 3:20:08 PM8/1/18
to LCZero
Doesn't phone have a graphic card? or it's relatively = 0 in capacity needs for Leela?

Dave Whipp

Aug 1, 2018, 3:22:47 PM8/1/18
to LittleWarrior, LCZero
Most modern smartphones (at least at the high end) have NEON support in their SoC. And there is support for NEON in TensorFlow. Probably wouldn't use it for training; but should be able to play with a reasonably sized network

Deep Blender

Aug 1, 2018, 3:37:17 PM8/1/18
to LCZero
Phones are definitely not suitable to train neural networks. You would need to plug it in, but you might be able to boil some water on the phone :)

Alexander

Aug 1, 2018, 3:40:38 PM8/1/18
to LCZero
Got it. Pity. Wake me up when quantum computer arises...

thx all for thoughts

Greg Mattson

Aug 1, 2018, 3:59:29 PM8/1/18
to LCZero
Deep Blender/Alexander,

I get it that the phone itself may be a bad platform to train on.

But if you could connect the phone to, say a free cloud instance, as per:

where the phone client would:

    1. setup the cloud instance if it does not exist with a wizard
    2. login to that instance and provision a leela zero instance to run
    3. do whatever is necessary to keep the cloud instance alive and actually training games
    4. stream the results (if desired) to the phone to watch leela train

then each phone could leverage a lot more resources that it otherwise to train leela, give end-users a way to easily help, and get something out of it (namely high quality games on their phones, and maybe a status update as to where leela stands)

now i'm not much of an android programmer (not really at all) but I don't see show-stoppers above. Perhaps the will/expertise to do so is the main one :(.

Thomas Kaas

Aug 1, 2018, 4:07:09 PM8/1/18
to LCZero
Not that i know, but I think the devs has to look into.
rgds

Thomas Kaas

Aug 1, 2018, 4:13:03 PM8/1/18
to LCZero
I meant… The devs have many other things to ttand too, I think

Alexander

Aug 2, 2018, 11:15:01 AM8/2/18
to LCZero
IMO

there needs to be some application that one could download and just press one button to allow one's phone capacity be used by cloud.

Of course, if the phone capacity could be shared like the Golem project (https://golem.network/).
If let say there are hundreds and soon thousands of computer chess fans who could share their phones then total capacity would be quite optimistic to generate thousands games per day..
Mybe it's just my dreams and utopia..

but who knows.. maybe there is some way to involve smartphones..
contributors rows would be significantly increased

Greg Mattson

Aug 2, 2018, 1:12:11 PM8/2/18
to LCZero
alexander,

yes I get the appeal, but like deep blender said, a phone is a woefully underpowered piece of equipment with which to do deep learning.

plus the phone's batteries would be severely impacted - think being used up in an hour or so in the midst of training. Plus the amount of ram, etc used in training would basically make the phone unusable.

however, using it to control a cloud instance would offload all the training to a GPU off of the phone - all you would need to transfer is a series of moves, and all the phone would need to do is render a board; a much simpler exercise.

As it stands leela is trained by google colab, but this is severely implacted by the annoying tendency of the colab instances to stop/timeout; the phone could basically act as a heartbeat and restart the leela instances if/when the instance goes down.