moderated mediation model, risks of having too many variables

Francesco Cabiddu

Jun 17, 2019, 3:34:44 PM6/17/19
to lavaan
I am about to conduct a survey study referring to a model (using Likert-scale items all going from 1 to 7.) consisting of 13 latent variables (x1...x7, x9...x12, y=outcome) and an observed variable (x8). There are 2 moderations and 2 moderated mediations.

I have received suggestions to split the study in two studies because there are too many variables involved. But I don't quite understand the reason why I should do that.

What are the risks of having a model with too many variables as described above?

In literature, I often see quite complex models used!

Thank you for your support

car...@web.de

Jun 17, 2019, 3:46:05 PM6/17/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Is there a theoretical foundation for these 13 variables or is it a heuristic on your part? More is not automatically better. Probably SEMnet is a better place to ask this question.

Francesco Cabiddu

Jun 17, 2019, 5:27:03 PM6/17/19
to lavaan
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Yes, there is a strong theoretical foundation. The relationships between the different constructs have been investigated extensively in the literature and are justified. Although they have never been considered together within a unified model.

So basically I am trying to link these different relationships. My worry though is on the statistical side, because I am not confident enough with SEM to understand if there could be huge computational problems when running the model.

Do you have any suggestions? I have posted two different questions showing the model with lavaan syntax here and here, because I am also trying to perform a power analysis, but I am having problems there as well to get it done and interpret the output I get from R.

On Monday, 17 June 2019 20:46:05 UTC+1, car...@web.de wrote:
Is there a theoretical foundation for these 13 variables or is it a heuristic on your part? More is not automatically better. Probably SEMnet is a better place to ask this question.
Am 17.06.19, 21:34, Francesco Cabiddu <gismund...@gmail.com> schrieb:
I am about to conduct a survey study referring to a model (using Likert-scale items all going from 1 to 7.) consisting of 13 latent variables (x1...x7, x9...x12, y=outcome) and an observed variable (x8). There are 2 moderations and 2 moderated mediations.

I have received suggestions to split the study in two studies because there are too many variables involved. But I don't quite understand the reason why I should do that.

What are the risks of having a model with too many variables as described above?

In literature, I often see quite complex models used!

Thank you for your support

car...@web.de

Jun 17, 2019, 5:53:20 PM6/17/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
I don't know your theoretical foundation. 13 latent variables do not sound intuitively to me like a strong theoretical foundation; more like an overly complex model with a fuzzy theoretical basis. You have to know that. I recommend you semnet again for such questions.
Am 17.06.19, 23:27, Francesco Cabiddu <gismund...@gmail.com> schrieb:

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/lavaan.

Francesco Cabiddu

Jun 17, 2019, 6:02:10 PM6/17/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your help, I'll try with semnet as well thanks for suggesting that

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "lavaan" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/lavaan.