index overview file for lastile?

Martin Thorhauge

Mar 28, 2022, 4:44:04 AM3/28/22
to LAStools - efficient tools for LiDAR processing
Hi

I am using lastile to split up large las files. I would also like an output file with grid index (Shp/dwg/dxf?) so i know where each tile is placed geographically.

Is this possible in las tools?
Please guide me if so :)

thanks
Regards
Martin

Terje Mathisen

Mar 28, 2022, 4:59:27 AM3/28/22
to last...@googlegroups.com, Martin Thorhauge
Martin, this really isn't needed!

When tiling, LAStools will by default name the tiles with (typically UTM) orthogonal  coordinates, i.e. like this:

  tile_288512_6597120_256.laz

for a tile of 256x256 meters located at 288512E, 6597120N which (since the zone is 32N) is located in Haugesund on the south-west coast of Norway. In this particular case, the souce data for the tiling contained the UTM header info which the tile inherits:

variable length header record 1 of 2:
  reserved             43707
  user ID              'LASF_Projection'
  record ID            34737
  length after header  51
  description          'by LAStools of rapidlasso GmbH'
    GeoAsciiParamsTag (number of characters 51)
      UTM sone 32, basert p  EUREF89 (ETRS89/UTM)|NN2000|

OK?

Terje

Martin Thorhauge wrote:
--
Download LAStools at
https://rapidlasso.de

- <Terje.M...@tmsw.no>

Michał Kuś

Mar 28, 2022, 5:33:06 AM3/28/22
to last...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,
to easily preview extense of las tiles I use command:

lasboundary -i *.laz -o overview.kml -overview -labels -use_bb

If projection is not specified within laz files, I also need to add -epsg switch

I have attached a small example of output as seen in Google Earth.

Best regards,
Michal

--
example.jpg