Slow down search speed

Aaron Moore

Dec 20, 2019, 2:59:30 AM12/20/19
to lasersaur
Hi.
I am running the new drive board and have made a rorary attachment. I would like to reduce the speed the machine moves from one path to the next (the search or rapid moves) . Can someone tell me how and where to change the code.
Thanks
Aaron

Scott (Strataforma.com)

Dec 23, 2019, 1:04:54 PM12/23/19
to lasersaur
Hey Aaron, I think you may be looking for the "seekrate" parameter in your configuration file? I'd be very interested in seeing how you put together a rotary attachment on your machine!

Scott

jet townsend

Dec 23, 2019, 1:21:17 PM12/23/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com
"Plate of shrimp!"

I think my travel rate is too slow and I'm wondering how accurate
seekrate is. I'm using the default of 6000 mm/min and it doesn't seem
to move much faster than my etch speed of 1000 mm/min.

I'd also like to see your rotary attachment -- I've been thinking about
making one so I can etch pint glasses. We've got one at Protohaven that
I was just going to copy using Misumi spare parts in my shop.

--
Jet Townsend, IDSA
design <http://www.allartburns.org>

aaron moore

Dec 27, 2019, 2:30:09 AM12/27/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott

Thanks for your answer.  I found the seekrate parameter in the hidden 'driveboard' folder in my home directory as you said.

I put a little blog together about the rotary axis here: https://www.cnccraft.co.uk/laser-engraver-rotary-axis/
It maybe doesn't expalin it very well, but basically a stepper motor similar to the y axis on the machine, drives a rotating disc with a rubber tyre on. and then there are some idling ball bearings that keep the object horizontal.  The tail stock is adjustable along the bed and and the the two guide bearings can be adjusted up and down.

I found that wrapping the drive pulley in double sided tape helps to rotate the object evenly, but it still messed up the design some times, but slowing the seekrate down to 2000, makes it work almost perfectly.

I have to scale the drawing down in the y axis to compensate for the wrong drive gearing.  I could change the gearing but it is quite easy to scale the drawing!

Is there any chance you could tell me how to use your improved driveboard code on my lasersaur?  I tried installing it a while back but couldn't figure out what to do with the files.  I run it on ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks again

Aaron

Your technique is exquisite

Please to check out my new website: www.cnccraft.co.uk