cutting 3/4" baltic birch

jet townsend

Nov 15, 2019, 2:31:45 PM11/15/19
to lasersaur
I have two projects that require 1/2" and 3/4" baltic birch. I'e got a
100W laser that tests around 120W and I've cut 1/2" with no problems
(other than how long it takes).

Anyone cut 3/4"? Other than getting the focus correct, any problems?
I'm wondering if cutting it twice, once focused at 1/2" and a second
time at 3/4" would make a better cut. (Given the *cost* of 3/4" I'm
trying to experiment as little as possible.)

--jet

--
Jet Townsend, IDSA
design <http://www.allartburns.org>

Jondale Stratton

Nov 15, 2019, 2:37:02 PM11/15/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com
I've never gotten good results using the 3" focal length lens.  You could try putting in a 4".
I have not tested it though so it would still require some experimentation.

jet townsend

Nov 15, 2019, 10:00:19 PM11/15/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com
Did you try multiple cuts?

I was thinking about altering the bed height, but not having a powered
bed this is a difficult experiment.

On 11/15/2019 2:36 PM, Jondale Stratton wrote:
> I've never gotten good results using the 3" focal length lens.  You
> could try putting in a 4".
> I have not tested it though so it would still require some experimentation.
>
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 2:31 PM jet townsend <j...@allartburns.org
> <mailto:j...@allartburns.org>> wrote:
>
> I have two projects that require 1/2" and 3/4" baltic birch.  I'e got a
> 100W laser that tests around 120W and I've cut 1/2" with no problems
> (other than how long it takes).
>
> Anyone cut 3/4"?  Other than getting the focus correct, any problems?
> I'm wondering if cutting it twice, once focused at 1/2" and a second
> time at 3/4" would make a better cut.  (Given the *cost* of 3/4" I'm
> trying to experiment as little as possible.)
>
> --jet
>

> --
> Jet Townsend, IDSA
> design     <http://www.allartburns.org>
> hacking    <http://www.flatline.net>
> consulting <http://www.functionalprototype.com>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lasersaur/CAPLxAtXgxNj4isR0yeBsd-QpeRHdBOSYk5sQ1WxOT07exrOQvw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lasersaur/CAPLxAtXgxNj4isR0yeBsd-QpeRHdBOSYk5sQ1WxOT07exrOQvw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

jet townsend

Nov 15, 2019, 10:54:03 PM11/15/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to RTFM!

Cutting 12mm (1/2") works as well as it did for me:
<https://vimeo.com/123456664>

No demo of 18mm, but I found some remnants to experiment with. I have
access to a Shopbot at Protohaven but would rather do this in my home
studio.