The time has come ...

stefan hechenberger

Feb 27, 2019, 6:02:51 AM2/27/19
to Lasersaur

Hi Lasersaur builders and maintainers,

You know how the Lasersaur is designed mostly around off the shelf components and has always emphasized ordering parts directly from 3rd party suppliers. This may become important now.

The time has come when we close the Nortd Labs Lasersaur store. For almost nine years we have supplied parts to nearly one thousand builders and owners. It allowed us to have a budget for software development and made the BOM sourcing more convenient. It was a great run but its time for us to move on.

What does this mean for future builders and current maintainers?

Most answers can be found in the updated BOM and design file page. We have updated these two pages to include a lot of information on how to source the parts that were formerly provided by us (let us know if there is anything missing).

For maintainers, basically all the parts that wear out are easily ordered from 3rd party suppliers. So no real change here.

For new builders, there is admittetly a loss of convinience because some Lasersaur parts are custom and need to be manufactured either by the builder via the provided CAD files or sent to companies like emchineshop.com and protocase.com. It is very doable but adds another step. Feel free to ask details about how this is done.

Our hope is that this online community stays strong and will keep providing the support for the many Lasersaur enusiasts out there. As a reminder especially to the more senior members, this is an open source project and it's perfectly fine to offer a full or partial kit commercially at your convienience and the convienience of future builders.

Happy hacking and keep on rockin,
Stefan & Addie, the Laseraur inventors

jet townsend

Feb 27, 2019, 10:20:42 AM2/27/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com

Addie and Stefan, thank you so much for all your love and labor making
the lasersaur happen.

--
Jet Townsend, IDSA
design <http://www.allartburns.org>

Ray Debs

Feb 27, 2019, 11:20:51 AM2/27/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both so much!  This has been and continues to be my favorite DIY project of all time.  I now have a very useful and unique tool at my disposal.  Your efforts and help have been awesome.  I think you should get some kind of award.

Best wishes in your next endeavors.

Ray Debs

Sent from my iPad

Jonathan Buford

Feb 27, 2019, 11:54:15 PM2/27/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Stefan and Addie for your hard work! Do you have another project you are working on next?

Jon

jet townsend

Feb 28, 2019, 12:59:25 AM2/28/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com
On 2/27/2019 11:53 PM, Jonathan Buford wrote:
> Thanks Stefan and Addie for your hard work! Do you have another project
> you are working on next?

Three kids is a bigger project that I can imagine, forget silly things
like careers... I've managed bazillion dollar supercomputers and
software running on millions of consumer electronic devices and I'm
happy that I can "take care of" two cats and some bee hives in the back
yard.

--
Jet Townsend
<http://www.flatline.net>

aaron moore

Mar 1, 2019, 12:32:40 AM3/1/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan and co
Thanks for the great job you have done and good luck with future projects
Aaron
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Che-Wei Wang

Mar 1, 2019, 1:37:00 PM3/1/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com
🙌 thank you stefan and addie for keeping this going for so long!
😘😘

Che-Wei Wang [pron. say-way]
+1-718-757-2247
cwandt.com

Marcel Schwittlick

Mar 7, 2019, 1:20:52 PM3/7/19
to lasersaur
Thank you for all the work!! This is truly amazing.

Me, as a new builder, has another challenge ahead now: Building the Driveboard myself.. :)

Or.. Do you still have a unit left over, now that the store is closed?

Technological greetings,
Marcel

Stefan Strappler

Mar 8, 2019, 3:18:32 AM3/8/19
to lase...@googlegroups.com

Thank you very much Stefan and Addie for making it possible. You are a true inspiration and doing a fantastic job. Maybe the Lasersaur Community should not be sad about you shutting down the store, but rather be happy that you will do something different now...who knows what you and your focused work will bring us in the future!

Thumbs up, you have started something really big. And by that i also mean building up a strong and incredibly friendly community!

Since 4 years we love to work with our Lasersaur!

best

Stefan and the Spielraum FabLab Community!

DI Stefan STRAPPLER

Spielraum FabLab IBK
Franz-Fischerstraße 12
6020 Innsbruck

m: fab...@spielraumfueralle.at
t: 0043-(0)650 5410319
fb: www.facebook.com/Spielraum-Fablab-417107995133637/
hp: www.fablab.spielraumfueralle.at

stefanix

Jun 20, 2019, 8:40:52 AM6/20/19
to lasersaur

Thx for posting all the nice responses. This mean a lot me and Addie.
Also happy to see the forum still going stron. Rockon!

Christian Meyer

Sep 23, 2019, 11:14:40 AM9/23/19
to lasersaur
Hi Marcel,

I still have a couple of driveboard pcbs here (V14.03) . If your interested to buy one, you can contact me any time!

best,
Christian

PhotoBooth biz

Jan 29, 2020, 1:21:36 PM1/29/20