SIG Release Roadmap and Vision for 2022

Sascha Grunert

Jun 10, 2022, 3:57:49 AM6/10/22
to kubernetes-sig-release, d...@kubernetes.io, release-managers
Hey folks,

I'd like to share the latest updates about our SIG Release Roadmap and
Vision [0]. We reworked the ongoing items (which have linked
enhancements) and separated them from those which are still to be
refined. This means that we now gain a better overview about what
we're working on in the SIG.

As part of this refinement process, Lauri and Joseph volunteered to
help to optimize the roadmap even further [1]. If you like to join
this conversation, please feel free to attend their scheduled meeting
later today at 10am PST via the SIG Release Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/99881804911?pwd=RUI3MFAyYjdkcytkNmtXcEFHVm9LZz09

If you can't make it to the meeting, then we're happy to provide a
summary at the next regular SIG Release meeting next Tuesday [2].

A special shoutout to Lauri and Joseph to support us with that!

All the best,
Sascha
- on behalf of SIG Release

[0]: https://github.com/kubernetes/sig-release/blob/87df635/roadmap.md
[1]: https://kubernetes.slack.com/archives/C2C40FMNF/p1654680676256619
[2]: https://bit.ly/k8s-sig-release-meeting

Lauri Apple

Jun 10, 2022, 7:16:05 AM6/10/22
to Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-release, d...@kubernetes.io, release-managers
Thanks, Sascha. Here's a spreadsheet (yay spreadsheets) we'll use for today's session—all are welcome to add info, mainly trying to understand the current state of things and where these items can go next:

Jeremy Rickard

Jun 10, 2022, 1:08:11 PM6/10/22
to Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-release, d...@kubernetes.io, release-managers
Hey all,

Please join us if you're interested in collaborating!

Lauri Apple

Jun 13, 2022, 2:39:32 AM6/13/22
to Jeremy Rickard, Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-release, d...@kubernetes.io, release-managers
Hi all,

Recording of Friday's session: https://youtu.be/5KEQUIUmDAk

Thank to everyone who joined—Lauri

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kubernetes-sig-release" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-sig-release/CAEHNk2ywSCC3i4K6GO--T3pjAtNiz65rJHRQgUVc-0oPGLqWnw%40mail.gmail.com.

Lauri Apple

Jun 21, 2022, 12:14:34 PM6/21/22
to Jeremy Rickard, Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-release, release-managers
Hi all,

As part of SIG Release's roadmapping efforts we've assembled a very brief survey asking for your input on our current roadmap objectives
Please inform SIG Release's plans and priorities by providing your feedback by June 28, 2022. We'll share the results via the SIG Release mailing list and a SIG Release community meeting in July.

— Lauri and Joseph

****

Benjamin Elder

Jun 21, 2022, 1:57:22 PM6/21/22
to Lauri Apple, Tim Hockin, Jeremy Rickard, Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-release, release-managers
Hi all, couple notes that don't seem like they fit on the form itself:

1) A plea to consider GCR => Artifact Registry as the GCS multi-regional cost updates are coming in October and the project is already well over budget, primarily due to image hosting. cc +Tim Hockin
2) "Establish Cluster API as first-class signal for upstream releases" seems really out of scope for SIG release ...
Cluster Lifecyle has Signal w/ Testing, if the signal meets the bar then release should approve it for release blocking per the process.
3) Other entries like "Enhance and simplify Kubernetes version markers" are vague, and roadmap.md doesn't seem to provide any further details.

The roadmap is a cool initiative. Thanks all.

Lauri Apple

Jun 21, 2022, 2:13:17 PM6/21/22
to Benjamin Elder, Tim Hockin, Jeremy Rickard, Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-release, release-managers
Hi Ben (and anyone else looking at the form with similar thoughts):
  • Your point 1 could fit under the last survey question
  • Your point 2 could fit under the third survey question
  • Your point 3 could also fit under the third survey question, as it relates to the "Not sure/need more info about it" option in the first question

Benjamin Elder

Jun 21, 2022, 2:36:53 PM6/21/22
to Lauri Apple, Tim Hockin, Jeremy Rickard, Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-release, release-managers
Hi Lauri, I will do so, however in particular if 3) is only surfaced after reviewing form results, that seems sub-optimal versus informed responses seeing as there is *no* info listed as opposed to "need more info".
I gently suggest that a brief description of each in the linked doc would be helpful.

Bob Killen

Jun 21, 2022, 2:49:15 PM6/21/22
to Benjamin Elder, Lauri Apple, Tim Hockin, Jeremy Rickard, Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-release, release-managers
One quick follow up question - the original call for discussion included k-dev, is this survey intended to just be targeted to sig-release only? or the broader community. If broad, I would definitely +in kdev. :x

Lauri Apple

Jun 21, 2022, 3:14:31 PM6/21/22
to Bob Killen, Benjamin Elder, Tim Hockin, Jeremy Rickard, Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-release, release-managers
@Bob: Just SIG Release for now.

Sascha Grunert

Jun 29, 2022, 3:43:00 AM6/29/22
to kubernetes-sig-release, release-managers
Hey folks,

We decided to extend the deadline for the survey to match July 5,
2022. Please take your time to fill-out the survey and shape the
future of SIG Release with us:

https://forms.gle/YCaMWxnfZosNLdQv7

Thank y'all and have a great week!

All the best,
Sascha

Lauri Apple

Jul 5, 2022, 4:58:02 PM7/5/22
to Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-release, release-managers
[Also posted here]

crunched the roadmap survey data and spun up a template with each originally proposed roadmap item listed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n1Znf-SY85Bjo_B_ReKsqAvEbU4Z8Vw-AvgeiSGVXBA/edit#Next steps:
  • If you see a topic you want to work on, add your name where the topic prompts (under each chart, in the "Info" sub-section
  • When there are 3-4 sign-ups to drive further development of the topic (owners + helpers), I'll send out a Doodle to have an initial work session on that topic. Time/date/link to be shared on this mailing list, session recorded + shared right after.
  • Will schedule subsequent sessions with the same group until the plan is clear (ie doc sections are filled out, validated with SIG) -- also will public, recorded, shared on the mailing list beforehand
There was one "missing priority" proposed in the survey results and it's added at the top of the page and highlighted in yellow, along with any other text feedback (anonymized) from the survey.

Thanks much,
Lauri