[RFC] A SIG Release page on k/website

Stephen Augustus

Jan 6, 2021, 5:41:50 PM1/6/21
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig-release, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io
Hey SIG Docs,

Prior to the holiday break, I had been chatting with Jim Angel and Tim Bannister regarding a "releases page".

There are several issues/PRs across multiple repos requesting something of the sort and various ideas about potential implementation.

Given we (SIG Release) already have documentation in multiple places:
I'd like to minimize further fragmentation and propose the following: SIG Release can move all public-facing/consumer documentation into k/website and maintain it there as the new canonical location, if SIG Docs provides us the access and coaching to do so.

This removes any need to fetch metadata from other sources and provides a guarantee that information will remain up-to-date by the content creators.

Of course, there are finer details to discuss, but I'd like to get a general vibe for you all before exploring further.

Thoughts?
Stephen

raghvenders raghvenders

Jan 6, 2021, 6:32:06 PM1/6/21
to Stephen Augustus, kubernete...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig-release, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io
I like the idea Stephen.

Do you think bringing in PROW docs in Kubernetes will be a like or relevant example.

Regards,
Raghv

Stephen Augustus

Jan 6, 2021, 6:35:18 PM1/6/21
to raghvenders raghvenders, kubernete...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig-release, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io
Top of mind for me is attempting to answer the following consumer questions:
  • How do I download kubernetes?
  • How do I contact Release Managers or SIG Release leadership?
  • What is the schedule for the current release cycle?
  • When are patch releases happening?
  • When are older releases scheduled to go End of Life?
  • Are there any CVEs that I need to be aware of?
  • Where can I find release notes?
  • Are there infrastructural changes in the project that would affect the way I deploy Kubernetes?
  • Can you walk me through the deprecation timeline for X enhancement/API?
While awesome and a tool that SIG Release uses every day, Prow is a subproject managed by SIG Testing[1][2] and would be out of scope for this exercise.
I'd suggest reaching out to folks on kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, #sig-testing, or #prow if you want to have a conversation around it.

-- Stephen

raghvenders raghvenders

Jan 6, 2021, 7:03:10 PM1/6/21
to Stephen Augustus, kubernete...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-sig-release, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io
Thanks Stephen understood.

Regards,
Raghv

Stephen Augustus

Jan 7, 2021, 9:45:50 AM1/7/21
to Bob Killen, Tim Bannister, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-release, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io
(Looks like these threads broke up; re-cc SIG Release + leads)

From a previous response:

--

Agreed that I'd want to see the contributor-focused docs (like cherry pick guidance) on [k8s|kubernetes].dev.

Noting here though that the release schedules fall into end user/consumer audience and should land on kubernetes.io.

-- Stephen

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021, 08:36 Bob Killen <kille...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm +1 for consolidating, but would suggest breaking it down into two target audiences:
- end user / consumer first (relnotes, downloads etc) - kubernetes.io
- contributor focused (release schedule, process docs) - kubernetes.dev

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 2:57 AM Tim Bannister <t...@scalefactory.com> wrote:
It sounds like a page like https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/contributors/devel/sig-release/cherry-picks.md would be out of scope of the changes to k/website. (I'm thinking that https://www.kubernetes.dev/ is a a better place to publish that). Have I got that right?

Tim

Savitha Raghunathan

Jan 7, 2021, 7:32:58 PM1/7/21
to Stephen Augustus, Bob Killen, Tim Bannister, kubernetes-sig-docs, kubernetes-sig-release, sig-rele...@kubernetes.io
+1 for the consolidation efforts :)

In addition to getting all the public-facing documentation into the right place along with the current release cycle information, does this effort also include supporting/maintaining the older release related information?
And, I would like to volunteer to help move some of the SIG Release's public-facing/consumer documentation to a new home (wherever it gets decided).

Regards,
Savitha

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kubernetes-sig-release" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-sig-release/CAOqU-DRq8S-i3JAQmaP593PmQukvECKrTXFm-33xYtt-DZJBaw%40mail.gmail.com.