k/website default branch migration

Jim Angel

May 15, 2021, 5:08:41 PM5/15/21
to kubernetes-sig-docs
Hey all,

I'm proposing that we switch our GitHub default branch from `master` to `main` before the end of the month. Tim Bannister has a tracking issue open and ContribEx has instructions posted on making the switch.

If there's no objections, I'll open all non-disruptive PRs this week and announce a cut-over date once merged. We'll also have the opportunity to switch Netlify prior to switching GitHub once the main branch exists.

A couple things worth considering:
  • Impact to doc's release cycle
  • Impact to localization efforts
  • Impact to inflight PRs on master branch
  • Impact to folk's doing local dev
  • Update docs / READMEs
Any concerns? Thanks!

Jim Angel

Irvi Aini

May 16, 2021, 10:45:16 AM5/16/21
to Jim Angel, kubernetes-sig-docs
Hi Jim,

Tanks for the initiative. +1 for this idea.

Irvi A

raghvenders raghvenders

May 16, 2021, 3:06:26 PM5/16/21
to Jim Angel, kubernetes-sig-docs
Anything related to reporting or insights changes.

Regards,
Raghvender

james...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2021, 1:11:02 PM6/17/21
to kubernetes-sig-docs
Hey all,

We are renaming our default branch from `master` to `main` tomorrow, 6/18/21, at 4:30pm Pacific (23:30 UTC). I'm tracking the prerequisites / steps here.

By making the change ASAP we can get it implemented early enough in the release cycle to catch anything that goes wrong. The renaming should not have an impact on the production site. The bulk of the work will be updating Netlify, PRs, your local clones, and documentation.

I'll send this post to all docs related slack channels too.

Thanks!
Jim Angel

PS:  Raghvender, there should be no impact to reporting or analytics.

james...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2021, 9:03:40 PM6/18/21
to kubernetes-sig-docs
The renaming of branches is complete!

Thanks to everyone involved (especially Tim B.)! I tracked our progress and some lessons learned here.

Don't forget to update your local clones. You can also update your fork in the GUI (a prompt should popup).

While the bulk of the work is complete, there still might be some rough edges and bumps. Report any issues on k/website and if it's urgent, reach out on slack.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Jim Angel