Always waiting on reconcile in Apply

Eytan Heidingsfeld

Sep 5, 2022, 4:48:45 AM9/5/22
to kubernetes-sig-cli
Hi,
I've recently tried updating our repo and have run into this change:

We were using cli-utils to apply resources to a cluster in a user-facing command line utility - but although we want them to be created we don't want to wait for them to be ready as there are several deployments which can take a few minutes to start.

For the user-experience we have a status command which checks to see that all the deployments are successfully running.

It seems after this change there is no way to skip waiting for all the SS/Deployments to be ready - is there a way we can override this simply? The only way I found is to write a customer StatusReader for our apply that returns ready for pending statuses.

Is there any better way?
Thanks,
Eytan

Daniel Smith

Sep 6, 2022, 12:23:18 PM9/6/22
to Eytan Heidingsfeld, kubernetes-sig-cli
(I don't know the answer-- but it's possible that if you don't want that behavior, you might get what you want with straight server-side apply? https://kubernetes.io/blog/2021/08/06/server-side-apply-ga)

Sean Sullivan

Sep 6, 2022, 12:40:22 PM9/6/22
to Daniel Smith, Karl Isenberg, Eytan Heidingsfeld, kubernetes-sig-cli
You might be able to get the functionality you're looking for by setting the reconcile-timeout to zero. Karl would know more about this cli-utils update. Additionally, for cli-utils questions, you want to post to: https://groups.google.com/g/kubernetes-cli-utils.