Helm v3 User Stories

Matt Farina

Mar 14, 2018, 11:11:05 AM3/14/18
to kubernetes-sig-apps, kubernetes-wg-contribex, cncf-kuber...@lists.cncf.io
As part of the work to get going on Helm 3, the next major release, we've started to collect a set of user stories. The goal is to collect those that are above and beyond what's currently in Helm 2 rather than a complete set of all stories.

If you look at them you'll notice that they relate to the user profiles we previously created for Helm 3.

Please note, these are an initial set rather than a complete set of user stories.

Brian Grant

Mar 14, 2018, 6:48:49 PM3/14/18
to Matt Farina, kubernetes-sig-apps, kubernetes-wg-contribex, cncf-kuber...@lists.cncf.io
Very useful.

Questions about 1.1 and 1.8:

1.1: As an application operator, I want to be able to pull charts from within the cluster so that I can manage multiple clusters without exposing details to the CI system
1.8: In order to have a secure system as an application operator, I want a pull model so that I can manage multiple private clusters from one authoritative source

How are these 2 different? 1.1 is about pulling from cluster-local storage, whereas 1.8 is about pulling from a single source for all clusters?

1.8 is specifically about private clusters, or about the chart source being private?

Pulling is in contrast to, say, a CI hook that invokes a client tool (e.g., kubectl apply) to push chart changes to a cluster or clusters? Does this have any implications about what would trigger a pull/upgrade?

Matt Farina

Mar 15, 2018, 11:42:03 AM3/15/18
to Brian Grant, kubernetes-sig-apps, kubernetes-wg-contribex, cncf-kuber...@lists.cncf.io
Brian, that's a good question.

These are definitely similar and may be able to be combined.

There have been requests to have a service running in a cluster that watches or is notified of changes in a chart. When a new version of a chart comes out the instance(s) in the cluster would be upgraded to the new version. Instead of CI pushing changes this is a pull method.

Similar flows are used by tools like Chef.

A similar flow could be built around kubectl.

Cheers,
Matt

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 8:11 AM Matt Farina <matt....@gmail.com> wrote:
As part of the work to get going on Helm 3, the next major release, we've started to collect a set of user stories. The goal is to collect those that are above and beyond what's currently in Helm 2 rather than a complete set of all stories.

If you look at them you'll notice that they relate to the user profiles we previously created for Helm 3.

Please note, these are an initial set rather than a complete set of user stories.

Matt Farina

Go in Practice - A book of Recipes for the Go programming language.

Engineered Web - A blog on cloud computing and web technologies.

Alexis Richardson

Mar 15, 2018, 11:49:03 AM3/15/18
to Matt Farina, Brian Grant, cncf-kuber...@lists.cncf.io, kubernetes-sig-apps, kubernetes-wg-contribex
+1, that is a major usage pattern for us and implemented using flux-helm.

I don't think this has implications about what would trigger a pull/upgrade.  This is because anything that triggers a pull could be initiated by a push - eg CI writes a new build into the repos

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 15:42 Matt Farina, <matt....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Matt Farina

Mar 15, 2018, 1:28:55 PM3/15/18
to Quinton Hoole, Alexis Richardson, Brian Grant, cncf-kuber...@lists.cncf.io, kubernetes-sig-apps, kubernetes-wg-contribex
Quinton,

1. Your multi-cluster use cases would be interesting to kubernetes-SIG-multicluster, who might also be able to provide you with some valuable feedback, support tools, etc. Perhaps you would like to do a brief presentation/Q&A to sig-multicluster.  Their meetings are every second Tue at 09:30 Pacific.

 I'd be happy to come. Would the March 27th meeting be a good one for this?

2. Your roles document does not include a cluster admin role.  I would suggest explicitly mentioning this role, even if only to explicitly exclude it from your scope (with appropriate justification).

Good idea. I'll craft a PR.

Cheers,
Matt

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 1:09 PM, Quinton Hoole <qui...@hoole.biz> wrote:
Hi Matt

Thanks, your writeups are very useful.  Two comments/questions:

1. Your multi-cluster use cases would be interesting to kubernetes-SIG-multicluster, who might also be able to provide you with some valuable feedback, support tools, etc. Perhaps you would like to do a brief presentation/Q&A to sig-multicluster.  Their meetings are every second Tue at 09:30 Pacific.
2. Your roles document does not include a cluster admin role.  I would suggest explicitly mentioning this role, even if only to explicitly exclude it from your scope (with appropriate justification).

Matt Farina

Go in Practice - A book of Recipes for the Go programming language.

Engineered Web - A blog on cloud computing and web technologies.

Quinton Hoole
qui...@hoole.biz