[Incubator] Auger (Direct access to data objects stored in Etcd by Kubernetes)

Joe Betz

Sep 15, 2017, 2:32:40 PM9/15/17
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are proposing a new Kubernetes incubator project `Auger`. This project provides direct access to data objects stored in Etcd by Kubernetes, which are stored in a binary format in Kubernetes 1.6+.  This goal is to provide Kubernetes developers and cluster operators with simple way to decode the binary storage data back to YAML and JSON, and to support access to data in a variety of situations, including when etcd is not running and the data in a db file needs to be accessed directly. See the below README for motivation, use cases and project status.

  SponsorBrian Grant (@bgrant0607)
  ChampionDaniel Smith (@lavalamp)
  Initial MaintainersJoe Betz (@jpbetz), Matt Liggett (@mml), Walter Fender (@cheftako)
  OwnerJoe Betz (@jpbetz)
  SIG: sig-apimachinery

Thanks!
-Joe

README.md

Auger

-----

Direct access to data objects stored in Etcd by Kubernetes.

Encodes and decodes Kubernetes objects from the binary storage

encoding used to store data to etcd. Supports data conversion

to YAML, JSON and Protobuf.

Why?

----

In earlier versions of Kubernetes, data written to Etcd was stored as

JSON and could easily be inspected or manipulated using standard tools such as

`etcdctl`. In Kubernetes 1.6+, for efficiency reasons, much of the data is now

stored in a binary storage representation, and is non-trivial to decode.

This tool provides Kubernetes developers and cluster operators with simple way

to decode the binary storage data back to YAML and JSON.

Interest in such a tool has been discussed before (e.g. https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/45974),

and we believe there is general need for it in the community.

Use cases

---------

### Access data via etcdctl

A kubernetes developer or cluster operator needs to inspect the data actually

stored to etcd for a particular kubernetes object.

E.g., decode a pod from etcd v3, where `<pod-name>` is the name of one of your pods:

``` sh

ETCDCTL_API=3 etcdctl get /registry/pods/default/<pod-name> | auger decode

> apiVersion: v1

> kind: Pod

> metadata:

>   annotations: ...

>   creationTimestamp: 2017-06-27T16:35:34Z

```

### Modify data via etcdctl

A kubernetes developer or etcd developer needs to modify state of an object stored in etcd.

E.g. Write an updated pod to etcd v3:

``` sh

cat updated-pod.yaml | auger encode | ETCDCTL_API=3 etcdctl put /registry/pods/default/<pod-name>

```

### Access data directly from db file

A cluster operator, kubernetes developer or etcd developer is needs to inspect

etcd data without starting etcd. In extreme cases, it may not be possible to

start etcd and inspecting the data may help a etcd developer understand what

state it is in.

E.g. find an etcd value by it's key and extract it from a boltdb file:

``` sh

auger extract -f <boltdb-file> -k /registry/pods/default/<pod-name>

> apiVersion: v1

> kind: Pod

> metadata:

>   annotations: ...

>   creationTimestamp: 2017-06-27T16:35:34Z

```

Status

------

Implementation leverages existing apimachinery code to keep footprint

under 1k of go code including tests.

Tool has proven useful during multiple production issue investigations

and has been updated based off feedback from those investigations. We

believe sharing this with a broader audience as a Kubernetes incubator

project will benefit the community.

Clayton Coleman

Sep 15, 2017, 4:04:19 PM9/15/17
to Joe Betz, kubernetes-dev
+1 we have analogues of this that I would prefer be folded into one community shared project.

Klaus Ma

Sep 15, 2017, 10:46:35 PM9/15/17
to Clayton Coleman, Joe Betz, kubernetes-dev
+1, great feature :).

----
Da (Klaus), Ma (马达), PMP® | Software Architect
IBM Platform Development & Support, STG, IBM GCG
+86-10-8245 4084 | mad...@cn.ibm.com | http://k82.me

Brian Grant

Sep 16, 2017, 2:33:57 AM9/16/17
to Joe Betz, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
From experience I can say that it's better to have such a tool before you really need it.

Bobby Salamat

Sep 18, 2017, 7:04:50 PM9/18/17
to Brian Grant, Joe Betz, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
+1. This tool will be very useful.

Dawn Chen

Sep 18, 2017, 7:13:45 PM9/18/17
to Bobby Salamat, Brian Grant, Joe Betz, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
+1 to have this useful tool to improve the production introspection and debuggability.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 4:04 PM, 'Bobby Salamat' via Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion <kuberne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
+1. This tool will be very useful.

Marek Grabowski

Sep 19, 2017, 6:01:48 AM9/19/17
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
+1

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 12:13:45 AM UTC+1, Dawn Chen wrote:
+1 to have this useful tool to improve the production introspection and debuggability.
On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 4:04 PM, 'Bobby Salamat' via Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion <kuberne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
+1. This tool will be very useful.

Joe Betz

Sep 19, 2017, 2:13:48 PM9/19/17
to Dawn Chen, Bobby Salamat, Brian Grant, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear there is interest! When the incubator project freeze ends in a few weeks, after elections, we'll finalize this request.

Project code available at https://github.com/jpbetz/auger. Reviews/comments/concerns welcome.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 4:13 PM Dawn Chen <dawn...@google.com> wrote:
+1 to have this useful tool to improve the production introspection and debuggability.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 4:04 PM, 'Bobby Salamat' via Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion <kuberne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
+1. This tool will be very useful.

This conversation is locked