[Action Required] Removing Bazel Build from Kubernetes

Benjamin Elder

Mar 1, 2021, 1:13:44 PM3/1/21
to kubernetes-dev
Hello Kubernetes Contributors!

We are nearing alpha-completion of KEP #2040 "Reducing Kubernetes Build Maintenance".
SIG Testing and SIG Release have decided to reduce our maintenance load in the core Kubernetes repo to a single build system. You can read more on why in the KEP.

As a result: kubernetes/kubernetes#99561 removed the bazel build, in favor of focusing on the singular make build we have always shipped releases with.

NOTE: This only affects the core Kubernetes repo. Sub-projects can continue to make their own decisions about build tools. It also does not affect existing release branches.

What do you need to do?

If any of your in-flight PRs have any generated BUILD changes (e.g. from adding or removing go source files) you should:
- fetch and rebase against upstream
- run hack/update-bazel.sh during your rebase which will now auto-remove any lingering changes in your PR once the updated script merges in #99561. This script should only take about one second to run.
- carry on as usual

How can I get help if I run into issues, or have questions?
Please feel free to reach out to me with any problems and I will respond ASAP.
I ask that you please do so in #kubernetes-contributors, ping @bentheelder in this channel so other contributors can benefit from the answers and / or beat me to responding :-)

Thank you for your time reading this and in advance for your patience with rebasing.

- Ben

Davanum Srinivas

Mar 1, 2021, 1:43:03 PM3/1/21
to Benjamin Elder, kubernetes-dev
Thanks Ben for driving this! Big +1

Jordan Liggitt

Mar 1, 2021, 1:44:52 PM3/1/21
to Davanum Srinivas, Benjamin Elder, kubernetes-dev
This is excellent to see, thanks!

Bob Killen

Mar 1, 2021, 1:51:33 PM3/1/21
to Jordan Liggitt, Davanum Srinivas, Benjamin Elder, kubernetes-dev
This is great! Thanks for driving this forward Ben :)

Lauri Apple

Mar 1, 2021, 2:09:18 PM3/1/21
to Bob Killen, Jordan Liggitt, Davanum Srinivas, Benjamin Elder, kubernetes-dev

jayp...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2021, 3:58:53 PM3/1/21
to Benjamin Elder, kubernetes-dev
Awesome. Big +1 from me! :)

On Mon, 2021-03-01 at 10:13 -0800, 'Benjamin Elder' via Kubernetes

Josh Berkus

Mar 1, 2021, 4:50:19 PM3/1/21
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com
On 3/1/21 10:13 AM, 'Benjamin Elder' via Kubernetes
developer/contributor discussion wrote:
> As a result: kubernetes/kubernetes#99561
> <https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/99561> *removed the bazel
> build*, in favor of focusing on the singular make build we have always
> shipped releases with.

The second Kubernetes Contributor summit, which was the first one I
attended, adding bazel to our build infra was the main topic of discussion.

Now you see it, now you don't. Great work, Infra team.

Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community
Red Hat OSPO

Manjunath A Kumatagi

Mar 2, 2021, 1:04:40 AM3/2/21
to benth...@google.com, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a ton, Ben..! This will help multi-arch community a lot, one less headache to take care :) This is the exact reason why I love this community.

This conversation is locked