Breaking change in v0.18.0 release

Vishnu Kannan

May 12, 2015, 5:05:28 PM5/12/15
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am Vishnu Kannan from Google. I am working on a change to Kubernetes that could potentially break your cluster.
If you don't use Kubernetes namespaces you can skip the remainder of this email.

tl;dr:  '.' characters will no longer be allowed in Kubernetes Namespace Names starting from v0.18.0 release. v0.18.0 release will be cut on or around the 18th of May '15 (~1 week).

Starting from v0.18.0 release, the format for Kubernetes namespace names will be changed to DNS labels instead of DNS subdomains. The api-server will reject any objects with Kubernetes namespace names containing '.' characters. Kindly update any existing Kubernetes namespace names in your cluster to follow the DNS label format before upgrading to v0.18.0 release.

The specific fields that get affected in the Kubernetes API are as follows:
"metadata.namespace" in v1beta3.
"namespace" in v1beta1 and v1beta2.

Why?
Kubernetes DNS module is not designed to handle Kubernetes Namespace names containing DNS subdomains. To expedite the path towards v1.0, we decided to restrict namespaces to be DNS labels.

We hope this restriction can be removed in the near future, once the rest of the system can handle Kubernetes Namespaces names with DNS subdomains.

For more background read issue #6666 and issue #8010.

Thanks for your time. If you have any questions or concerns about this change, please let me know.

--Vishnu Kannan

This conversation is locked