Proposal for a new SIG: SIG-GCP

Adam Worrall

Aug 9, 2017, 6:16:34 PM8/9/17
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
I am proposing to create SIG-GCP. It would fill a similar role as SIG-AWS and SIG-Azure, but for GCP. Here are the details:

Proposed mission statement:

A Special Interest Group for building, deploying, maintaining, supporting, and using Kubernetes on the Google Cloud Platform.

Secondary statement:

The SIG will be responsible for designing, discussing, and maintaining the GCP cloud provider and its relevant tests. The SIG will also be responsible for any roadmap and release requirements for Kubernetes on GCP.

Implementation:

For implementation, I will be the initial point of contact and will at a minimum ensure scheduling, documentation, transparency, and facilitation are consistent with Kubernetes community SIG standards. We may add additional leaders from within or outside of Google later.

The SIG will meet monthly and the meetings will be announced through the standard channels.

Thanks,

 - Adam
(eng manager on the Kubernetes/GKE team at Google)

Clayton Coleman

Aug 9, 2017, 6:38:39 PM8/9/17
to Adam Worrall, kubernetes-dev, Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
+1 - there's a lot of good topics that are spread out to other sigs today which could benefit from being collected together in a consistent discussion thread.

Christoph Blecker

Aug 9, 2017, 6:45:27 PM8/9/17
to Adam Worrall, kuberne...@googlegroups.com, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
+1

David Oppenheimer

Ihor Dvoretskyi

Aug 9, 2017, 6:52:28 PM8/9/17
to David Oppenheimer, Adam Worrall, Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A, Christoph Blecker, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
+1.

+1

Klaus Ma

Aug 9, 2017, 9:13:29 PM8/9/17
to Ihor Dvoretskyi, David Oppenheimer, Adam Worrall, Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A, Christoph Blecker, kuberne...@googlegroups.com
+1

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 6:52 AM Ihor Dvoretskyi <ihor.dv...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1.

On 9 August 2017 at 15:16, 'Adam Worrall' via Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion <kuberne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

----
Da (Klaus), Ma (马达), PMP® | Software Architect
IBM Platform Development & Support, STG, IBM GCG
+86-10-8245 4084 | mad...@cn.ibm.com | http://k82.me

feisky

Aug 9, 2017, 9:24:57 PM8/9/17
to Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A, kuberne...@googlegroups.com, a...@google.com
+1

在 2017年8月10日星期四 UTC+8上午6:16:35,Adam Worrall写道:

Jaice Singer DuMars

Aug 10, 2017, 10:55:37 AM8/10/17
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
+1 ~ SIG-Azure has been very useful so far, and I anticipate the same for SIG-GCP

mich...@deis.com

Aug 10, 2017, 11:38:34 AM8/10/17
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
+1

Brandon Philips

Aug 10, 2017, 1:13:26 PM8/10/17
to mich...@deis.com, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
+1, makes sense.

Dawn Chen

Aaron Crickenberger

lu...@luxaslabs.com

Aug 10, 2017, 3:30:38 PM8/10/17
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, brandon...@coreos.com, mich...@deis.com
+1

Joseph Jacks

Aug 10, 2017, 4:13:49 PM8/10/17
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
+1.

Michael Rubin

Aug 11, 2017, 2:44:07 PM8/11/17
to Joseph Jacks, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
Looks like we have enough belief this is useful. Is the next step to
just start forming the SIG?

mrubin
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-dev/f760176b-6461-4518-be62-1aec4467b526%40googlegroups.com.

Ihor Dvoretskyi

Aug 11, 2017, 3:00:47 PM8/11/17
to Michael Rubin, Joseph Jacks, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernet...@googlegroups.com

Yes! please, proceed with the formal process.

Jaice Singer DuMars

Aug 11, 2017, 3:03:05 PM8/11/17
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, jack...@gmail.com, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

With no opposition, it seems that this has approval.  For those curious on the process, these are the current guidelines:
So, technically a couple of days would probably be tomorrow.  I'd recommend waiting until Monday to get started on all of the SIG creation steps.  It's very, very time consuming.  I have a meeting scheduled with Adam Worrall (the petitioner) on Monday to help guide him through the implementation process so that gives a little time for people to speak up.

All my best,
Jaice

Adam Worrall

Aug 11, 2017, 5:14:49 PM8/11/17
to Jaice Singer DuMars, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, jack...@gmail.com, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jaice !

I'll followup on Monday. Coincidentally, I'm off on vacation for ~2 weeks starting Tuesday, so there might be a brief hiatus in subsequent action. But hopefully I'll be able to leave knowing that SIG-GCP will indeed become a thing :)

 - Adam

Adam Worrall

Aug 14, 2017, 8:49:40 PM8/14/17
to Jaice Singer DuMars, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, jack...@gmail.com, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
A few days have elapsed, without any opposition. I'll get started with the setup process, and followup when it's open for business.

 - Adam

zhang.x...@zte.com.cn

Aug 16, 2017, 10:52:17 PM8/16/17
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
+1 glad to see it.

在 2017年8月10日星期四 UTC+8上午6:16:34,Adam Worrall写道:

Adam Worrall

Sep 15, 2017, 8:34:51 PM9/15/17
to zhang.x...@zte.com.cn, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernet...@googlegroups.com
Hi, everyone !

SIG-GCP has not been forgotten, but it has been somewhat eclipsed by the 1.8 release recently - apologies for the radio silence. I'll followup when the mailing lists are setup.

 - Adam