WG-Creation-Request: WG Structured Logging

Han Kang

Mar 19, 2021, 12:28:36 PM3/19/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion

Hi all,

We've had a bunch of horizontal work recently with structured logging, this has impacted multiple SIGs (node, instrumentation, arch). We'd like to spin off the effort formally into a working group. Here are the tentative answers to the formal WG formation questions here:
  • What is the exact problem this group is trying to solve?
    • Migration of the code base to structured logging
  • What is the artifact that this group will deliver, and to whom?
    • Same as above
  • How does the group know when the problem solving process is completed, and it is time for the Working Group to dissolve?
    • When all codesites for klog are migrated to using the structured logging logger
  • Who are all of the stakeholder SIGs involved in this problem this group is trying to solve?
    • SIG Instrumentation
    • SIG Arch
    • every vertical SIG who owns code
  • What are the meeting mechanics (frequency, duration, roles)?
    • 30 min/ every 2 weeks
    • Chair will lead the meetings and go through the preset agenda items
  • Does the goal of the Working Group represent the needs of the project as a whole, or is it focused on the interests of a narrow set of contributors or companies?
    • It's focused on the entirety of the Kubernetes code base that logs stuff
  • Who will chair the group, and ensure it continues to meet these requirements?
    • I nominate Marek Siarkowicz
  • Is diversity well-represented in the Working Group?
    • I sure hope so. We definitely welcome any and all contributors! :)
Thanks,
Han

Davanum Srinivas

Mar 19, 2021, 1:37:45 PM3/19/21
to Han Kang, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Han,
Thanks for starting this discussion! You have my full support for this proposal (from sig-arch side and hopefully other chairs will agree as well in a formal vote when the time comes!).

Folks who are interested in this WG, please chime in!

-- Dims

jshub...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2021, 2:00:29 PM3/19/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
I have been involved with the effort for migration of kubelet and would be very happy to help with this effort!

Josh Berkus

Mar 19, 2021, 2:01:29 PM3/19/21
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com
On 3/19/21 11:00 AM, jshub...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for starting this discussion! You have my full support for this
> proposal (from sig-arch side and hopefully other chairs will agree as
> well in a formal vote when the time comes!).

+1, seems needed.

Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community
Red Hat OSPO

raghvenders raghvenders

Mar 19, 2021, 2:13:39 PM3/19/21
to Davanum Srinivas, Han Kang, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hi Han/ Srinivas,

I am interested and would like to support.

—Raga

Sladyn nunes

Mar 19, 2021, 2:16:12 PM3/19/21
to raghvenders raghvenders, Davanum Srinivas, Han Kang, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hi everyone,

I have been involved a bit with the structured logging effort and would love to help.
+ 1 from me.

Thanks

Rahul Jha

Mar 19, 2021, 3:34:27 PM3/19/21
to Sladyn nunes, raghvenders raghvenders, Davanum Srinivas, Han Kang, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hi everyone,

I am interested and would like to support.

Thanks & Regards
Rahul

Abhisek Purwar

Mar 19, 2021, 4:18:25 PM3/19/21
to Rahul Jha, Sladyn nunes, raghvenders raghvenders, Davanum Srinivas, Han Kang, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hi,
I loved to contribute in this group.

Thanks
Abhi

--
Looking Forward to hear you soon.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhisek Purwar
Email : abhisek...@gmail.com
Mob: +91 -

徐俊杰

Mar 20, 2021, 9:20:19 AM3/20/21
to Abhisek Purwar, Rahul Jha, Sladyn nunes, raghvenders raghvenders, Davanum Srinivas, Han Kang, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
I will help in testing(benchmark of kubelet logs) and review or backup in this workgroup.

Best regards
Paco
发自我的iPhone

在 2021年3月20日,上午4:18,Abhisek Purwar <abhisek...@gmail.com> 写道:

葛瑛琦

Mar 20, 2021, 9:20:19 AM3/20/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hi everyone,

i would like to participate into this working group

thanks & regards

Barun Acharya

Mar 20, 2021, 9:20:19 AM3/20/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hi everyone,

I would love to get involved in this initiative.

Regards
Barun

Karthikeyan Govindaraj

Mar 20, 2021, 9:40:30 AM3/20/21
to 徐俊杰, Abhisek Purwar, Rahul Jha, Sladyn nunes, raghvenders raghvenders, Davanum Srinivas, Han Kang, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
I am interested and love to contribute to this group.

chapaga...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2021, 12:22:06 PM4/1/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Interested. How can I help?

Subodh Dharmadhikari

Apr 1, 2021, 12:22:14 PM4/1/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
I am interested in participating in this group and get involved.

Regards,
Subodh D.

Jurandir Corrêa Nogueira

Apr 1, 2021, 12:22:19 PM4/1/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hello!
I would like to help in this WG.

Gaurav Kumar

Apr 1, 2021, 12:22:23 PM4/1/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hi,

Please count me in.

Regards
Gaurav

JUN YANG

Apr 1, 2021, 12:22:27 PM4/1/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hi everyone, I would love to get involved in this initiative.

somveer payal

Apr 1, 2021, 12:22:32 PM4/1/21
to Han Kang, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Would love to be a part of this initiative.

Regards
Somveer

Rijan G

Apr 1, 2021, 1:33:39 PM4/1/21
to somveer payal, Han Kang, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hello everyone, I would like to contribute as well. Will keep an eye out on this thread

Rahul

Apr 1, 2021, 1:56:33 PM4/1/21
to Rijan G, Han Kang, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, somveer payal
Hello Everyone,

I would love to contribute in this.

Regards,
Rahul Sharma

Mengjiao Liu

Apr 1, 2021, 10:07:39 PM4/1/21
to Davanum Srinivas, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, Han Kang
Hi everyone,

I am interested and would like to help with this effort.

Thanks

qian he

Apr 2, 2021, 10:26:38 PM4/2/21
to Mengjiao Liu, Davanum Srinivas, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, Han Kang

Hello Everyone,
                  I would love to contribute in this.
Thanks

Mengjiao Liu <liumen...@gmail.com> 于2021年4月2日周五 上午10:07写道:

Neeraj Pandey

Apr 3, 2021, 3:00:30 AM4/3/21
to chapaga...@gmail.com, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion

Jailton Lopes

Apr 3, 2021, 9:54:37 AM4/3/21
to Neeraj Pandey, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, chapaga...@gmail.com
I am interested.

--
        --Jailton

Vinayak Goyal

Apr 3, 2021, 10:07:23 AM4/3/21
to Jailton Lopes, Neeraj Pandey, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, chapaga...@gmail.com

Christoph Stäbler

Apr 4, 2021, 1:26:26 PM4/4/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hello everyone,
I am also interested and would like to help.

madhav jivrajani

Apr 5, 2021, 12:27:03 PM4/5/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
I'd love to help out as well!

siark...@google.com

Apr 6, 2021, 4:29:15 AM4/6/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your support and offer of help in this effort.
To give an update on the current status:

* Creation of the working group was approved by SIG-Arch
* We are in a middle of process of creating WG https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/5690
* We are working on charter and roadmap

If you want to keep up to date with effort or help, please join a newly created mailing group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/kubernetes-wg-structured-logging

Thanks,
Marek

Abhishek Dinkar Raut

Apr 6, 2021, 7:08:19 AM4/6/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Interested.

Thanks,
Abhishek

This conversation is locked