CLIENT IMPACTING CHANGES: Refactor of internal API objects

Clayton Coleman

Oct 24, 2014, 2:02:25 PM10/24/14
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com
Pull requests https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/kubernetes/issues/1961 and https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/kubernetes/issues/1975 dropped recently as part of the upcoming v1beta3 api changes. Clients and end users may be affected if you are using the internal version of our API objects (kubernetes/pkg/api/types.go):

Client impacting clients:
-------------------------

* If you are using the internal types, you must update "ID" to "Name" in your usage
* If you have created types based on the Kubernetes API schema, you should update to use both api.TypeMeta and api.ObjectMeta appropriately
* If you are using kubectl/kubecfg and the --template option (to generate results using Go templates) you're using the internal types (a bug has been filed to use the external type)

Description

* The previous "TypeMeta" grab bag of metadata about resources has been split into "TypeMeta" (for just information about the schema of the object) and "ObjectMeta" and "ListMeta" (for the real metadata)
* "ID" has been properly updated everywhere internally to be "Name"

For more info about the new metadata (that will soon be exposed as part of v1beta3) please see the following resources:

* Description of what Name and UID are meant for: https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/kubernetes/blob/master/docs/identifiers.md
* How the metadata on REST resources is intended to be used: https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/kubernetes/blob/master/docs/api-conventions.md

Sorry for this coming *after* I broke things. :)
This conversation is locked