current method for creating an add-on package

mike.cu...@gmail.com

May 7, 2018, 2:16:28 PM5/7/18
to Kotti
Hey Folks,

I saw this in the Change History section for Kotti 2.0.0b2  on pypi:

  "Scaffolding support via pcreate was dropped as it’s deprecated by Pyramid now. An alternate solution (cookiecutter template) might become available again in the future."

Does that mean we don't currently have a method to create a skeleton add-on package for Kotti?

Is this something folks would like to see implemented again?

Also, do folks just copy over files from an existing package to create a new one these days?

Anyway, thanks for all the work you do, Andreas. It is very much appreciated.

Mike

davide moro

May 7, 2018, 4:16:32 PM5/7/18
to ko...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've been using cookiecutter for some projects of mine.

Andreas, let me know if there is a best practice skeleton somewhere and where the cookiecutter scaffolding should live and I will be happy to contribute.

Cheers,

davide

Andreas Kaiser

May 8, 2018, 3:19:09 AM5/8/18
to Kotti

On 7 May 2018, at 20:16, mike.cu...@gmail.com wrote:

I saw this in the Change History section for Kotti 2.0.0b2 on pypi:

"Scaffolding support via pcreate was dropped as it’s deprecated by
Pyramid now. An alternate solution (cookiecutter template) might become
available again in the future."

Does that mean we don't currently have a method to create a skeleton add-on
package for Kotti?

Kind of, yes – see below.

Is this something folks would like to see implemented again?

FWIW: very much!

Also, do folks just copy over files from an existing package to create a
new one these days?

For the moment I create a new package with pcreate -s kotti from a Kotti 1.3 virtualenv :-\ The generated packages work perfectly fine on both Python 2 / Kotti 1.x and Python 3 / Kotti 2.

The reason for dropping the pcreate based scaffold was that pcreate had become deprecated and the existing scaffold tests were not so trivial to port to Python 3. Therefore I decided it would be less effort to completely drop the existing implementation and start a new one from scratch.

Cheers,
Andreas

Andreas Kaiser

May 8, 2018, 3:34:35 AM5/8/18
to ko...@googlegroups.com

On 7 May 2018, at 22:16, davide moro wrote:

I've been using cookiecutter for some projects of mine.

Cookiecutter would be the obvious choice for me, too (it is what Pyramid is using).

Andreas, let me know if there is a best practice skeleton somewhere

Packages created with pcreate -s kotti from a Kotti 1.3 installation would be a perfect start.

It would probably only need some minor modifications w.r.t. the trove classifiers in setup.py and could drop all u'' unicode literals.

where the cookiecutter scaffolding should live

I will be happy to contribute.

That would be really great!

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

davide moro

May 8, 2018, 6:11:54 PM5/8/18
to ko...@googlegroups.com
Ok,

I'm going to start this week end.

Cheers,

davide

davide moro

May 12, 2018, 6:21:30 PM5/12/18
to ko...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

started development with the cookiecutter Kotti plugin, here you can see the todo for the remaining activities:
* https://github.com/Kotti/kotti-cookiecutter/blob/master/TODO.rst

I'm going to manage them next week end.

Cheers,

davide

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kotti.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kotti/4E731444-5D50-4222-B6FF-6529ED377BE8%40binary-punks.com.

Andreas Kaiser

May 14, 2018, 3:25:57 AM5/14/18
to ko...@googlegroups.com
Hi Davide,

On 13 May 2018, at 0:21, davide moro wrote:

> started development with the cookiecutter Kotti plugin, here you can
> see
> the todo for the remaining activities:
> * https://github.com/Kotti/kotti-cookiecutter/blob/master/TODO.rst
>
> I'm going to manage them next week end.

thank you so much!

I've just added another point to the todo: update the Kotti docs to use
the new scaffold (should only be a single instruction to change).

Cheers,

Andreas

>> Ok,
>>
>> I'm going to start this week end.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> davide
>>
>> Il mar 8 mag 2018 09:34 Andreas Kaiser <di...@binary-punks.com> ha
>> scritto:
>>
>>> On 7 May 2018, at 22:16, davide moro wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been using cookiecutter for some projects of mine.
>>>
>>> Cookiecutter would be the obvious choice for me, too (it is what
>>> Pyramid
>>> is using).
>>>
>>> Andreas, let me know if there is a best practice skeleton somewhere
>>>
>>> Packages created with pcreate -s kotti from a Kotti 1.3 installation
>>> would be a perfect start.
>>>
>>> It would probably only need some minor modifications w.r.t. the
>>> trove
>>> classifiers in setup.py and could drop all u'' unicode literals.
>>>
>>> where the cookiecutter scaffolding should live
>>>
>>> https://github.com/Kotti/kotti-cookiecutter :-)
>>>
>>> I will be happy to contribute.
>>>
>>> That would be *really* great!
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Andreas
>>>
>>> Il lun 7 mag 2018 20:16 <mike.cu...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>>>
>>> I saw this in the Change History section for Kotti 2.0.0b2 on pypi:
>>>
>>> "Scaffolding support via pcreate was dropped as it’s deprecated by
>>> Pyramid now. An alternate solution (cookiecutter template) might
>>> become
>>> available again in the future."
>>>
>>> Does that mean we don't currently have a method to create a skeleton
>>> add-on package for Kotti?
>>>
>>> Is this something folks would like to see implemented again?
>>>
>>> Also, do folks just copy over files from an existing package to
>>> create a
>>> new one these days?
>>>
>>> Anyway, thanks for all the work you do, Andreas. It is very much
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/
>>> msgid/kotti/4E731444-5D50-4222-B6FF-6529ED377BE8%40binary-punks.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kotti/4E731444-5D50-4222-B6FF-6529ED377BE8%40binary-punks.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kotti/CAHJXdtryCCTtxG-dHBqw7TC%2BO9iKAL2%2BuW04kWky24ALnNr-ow%40mail.gmail.com.

davide moro

May 15, 2018, 5:00:24 PM5/15/18
to ko...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andreas,

documentation pull request:
* https://github.com/Kotti/Kotti/pull/555

Can you enable the kotti-cookiecutter repo on Travis? I need to verify if the Travis integration works fine and fix it if something goes wrong.

Cheers,

davide

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kotti.
msgid/kotti/4E731444-5D50-4222-B6FF-6529ED377BE8%40binary-punks.com

Andreas Kaiser

May 16, 2018, 3:25:33 AM5/16/18
to ko...@googlegroups.com
Hi Davide,

On 15 May 2018, at 23:00, davide moro wrote:

> documentation pull request:
> * https://github.com/Kotti/Kotti/pull/555
>
> Can you enable the kotti-cookiecutter repo on Travis? I need to verify
> if
> the Travis integration works fine and fix it if something goes wrong.

Travis is enabled now, tests pass, PR is merged.

Thank you so much!

I guess it's about time to release 2.0.0 final real soon now™…

Cheers,

Andreas